Nanoweave needs to be toned down

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by bloodgulge, Jun 22, 2013.

1. bloodgulge

Discuss. Is there any reason to use something other than nanoweave?
    the difference of survivability between vanilla and nanoweave is huge, and it screws with bolt action snipers, and classes with limited sustained damage. (NC maxes, 30 bullet carbines, lower damage shotguns etc...) It also makes the heavies super tanky with resist shield.
    • Up x 1
  2. Morpholine

That extra bullet (regardless of rank used) makes all the difference, y'know.

Seriously, it's far less protection than flack (especially given that it scales much worse rank-by-rank), if helping (very slightly) against a wider array of damage types.

The only ones who even notice it are bolt-action users out in the boonies, and I personally say they can get closer to the front and assume some risk, or suck it up.
    • Up x 11
  3. FateJH

If you use Flak armor, you don't immediately succumb to that wonderful little surprise your neighbor's Infiltrator left in the door to your shield generator room.

Inversely, my Engineer often runs with Utility Pouch for that extra mine-y goodness.
  4. Loegi

It's a slight edge, but I have never noticed if somebody was using nanoweave. It's pretty much always one bullet extra at optimal range, except for the lowest of weapon classes.
  5. LT_Latency

It's just different. I use nano on all my guys.

Yeah it will protect me from a sniper headshot but a rocket will blow me to pieces. If you use flak a head shot will kill you but you can survive most rockets
  6. Grotpar

Nanoweave is one of those things that really shouldn't have existed in the first place.
    • Up x 8
  7. Vetala

Its a minimal increase for a damn lot of certs if you go full on it so no it doesn't need toneing down at all, it's to easy to die in this game as it is all this stops is headshot instant kills and rightfully so.Does every thread on these forums have to be a nerf thread can people not discuss something abit more interesting.
  8. Grotpar

If you don't like it, ignore it.

It's not that hard.
  9. phreec

I'd rather see the sniper rifles damage drop-off get tweaked. Higher TTK is great but it's kinda unfair to the snipers.
    What a stupid advice. That's has to be THE worst way to tackle an issue...
    • Up x 5
  10. Morpholine

I think snipers just need to accept that not every head-shot is going to be a guaranteed kill (much like every other weapon in this game is not a guaranteed one-shot kill), especially if they want to be a long way from the main concentration of action.

It's not like the nanoweave-using head-shot victim walks away feeling like it was a mosquito bite. Breathe on them heavy and they'll fall over dead.
    • Up x 1
  11. Greddy

Nanoweave armor is what makes semi-auto sniper rifle viable against bolt-action. Without the nanoweave, semi-auto sniper rifle would be obsolete.
    • Up x 1
  12. BoomBoom4You

Oh for the love of Vanu, another nerf post.

It's fine, it's basically a 1 bullet difference. Flak armor is better anyway, get over it.
  13. Stigma

Nanoweave is useful sure, but more useful than other options? Nah, I don't really think so.

Arguably flak will protect you from dying just as often if not more if survivability is the ultimate goal.
    Utility-pouch is something I run on my engineer most of the time (expensive but completely worth it). I'd be hard pressed to take nanoweave over it.
    2 extra grenades can be hugely important if you just use them well. Pretty damn nice for all classes, and doubly so for any classes with good specialty grenades.

I mostly only use nanoweave on my HA, and mainly because it synergizes well with the typical playstyle, resist-shield and medkits. I wouldn't say that makes the heavy "super-tanky" as the extra time it takes to kill someone with that setup using nanoweave vs not is a matter of milliseconds. It will only save you in very close fights, and very often when you die you die from encountering too many people, being surprised, outgunned ect. where that difference probably isn't going to help you regardless. Sometimes I prefer having extra concussion grenades though. If i know where the enemy is then those tend to do more for me than being able to take an extra bullet or two.

I'd say nanoweave feels good about where it is now. That's just my personal opinion though as someone who only has it certed up on a single class. Most of the time I tend to go for the extra utility (more mines or specialty-grenades) over the very slight HP buff.

-Stigma
  14. bloodgulge

I think those snipers will disagree. You can always avoid getting killed by those headshots by not standing still while in the open.
    Since the difficulty of scoring headshots is already higher at range, the damage degradation is too punishing. If you can score that headshot, you should get the kill. I think that was a more fun balance, and it never interfered with the battle flow of capturing bases anyway. 75 meters is not a sniper range. Heavies with LMGs will happily end you.
  15. BoomBoom4You

It doesn't make them "super tanky" it gives them slightly more survivability, which is the whole point of the class as you give up speed and other abilities.
  16. Mustarde

You have no idea how severe the nanoweave issue is for infiltrators. With nanoweave 5, your range can get cut to under 50m with a suppressor, 80m without. That is absurd considering the cloak issues, the power of other weapons within that range, and the difficulty in performing as a sniper that close. Just read some other threads on the issue - it is so much worse than people realize, and is marginalizing an entire class, unless you want us to all be cloaky SMG's...
    • Up x 5
  17. LT_Latency

You just need support so if you miss they can't rush.

I use the ram .50 with no silencer and most people I hit in the head die. You can also shoot at people who are already in combat so they are not at full health.

If I am fighting from very very long range the reality is I have a chance to kill them but they have 0 chance to kill me. The trade off is you kill slower and they can protect themselves from a single shot
    • Up x 3
  18. Morpholine

Of course they'll disagree. It's an armor option that protects against their schtick. They'd love it if all the game was a field of melons waiting to be popped at their leisure.

And here's the heart of the issue: Flack armor protects against one thing - explosive splash. Nanoweave effectively protects against one thing - sniper head shots. For both armor options, any other benefit is largely moot because the absolute magnitude of it is so low. The other options for the slot only provide convenience utility in one form or another, and not much in the way of survival.

Should we also remove Flack armor because my Lighting 100mm HE should send infantry body parts flying with every press of mouse 1, with no recourse other than avoidance? I'm honest enough to recognize that would be a bad thing for the game. Snipers should be honest enough to recognize the same for their situation.
  19. LT_Latency

Nano protects against everything it just does less the flack does for just explosives.

If I look down at my health bar and it's red. Nano is the reason I am not dead
  20. Morpholine

Yes, kind of.

Sure, rank 1 lets one eat a single additional bullet in a firefight, extending their life by literal milliseconds. Ranks 2 through 5 provide zero additional survival in this situation.

The middle ranks and above may let one survive a nearby proxy mine or grenade by the skin of their teeth, true. It allows the edge survival case in these instances a tiny bit more leeway, sure. Still, it's not a night-and-day difference like flack provides.

The only definitive, strong difference nanoweave provides over an empty slot, is surviving bolt-actions from a distance. It's even enough to be measurable as to how far out the sniper can be to achieve that one-shot kill, with the higher ranks reducing the distance by measurable (and decently significant) amounts.

Face it, snipers are upset that nanoweave does what it's (apparently) designed to do.
    • Up x 1