Carbine Balancing?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Anchor IV, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Xind

Actually, your posts have been condescending from the start, so I figured when in Rome.
    I will continue to use the weapon that kills as fast as possible, draw backs included, because if people didn't want to use such weapons, Pump Action shotguns wouldn't exist. You know, because they lack range...which should matter a lot right?

And for your information, people do start firing on each othe same time quite frequently in my experience. I encounter a substantial amount of double KOs..could be latency, could be two players with evenly matched aim and reflexes, hard to say. And if RoF isn't a substantial factor, why doesn't TR actually have High RoF weapons that dwarf the opposition by as little as 40 more RoF in each category?

At least you're not pretending like 40 rounds means the universe over 30.
  2. sindz

Cause ROF is good when you have the bullet capacity to sustain it, which VS doesnt. Thats sort of the whole point/drawback with the serpent. You cannot afford to spray with teh serpent the same way you can with TR weapons, cause you have to make bullets count more than TR does.
  3. Blarg20011

Truly my biggest problem with TR carbines is their complete lack of variety, every one is 143 damage, all have essentially the same reload, all have 40 rnd magazines, all have .3 vertical recoil, most have .225 horizontal, all have the same recoil decrease, most have the same first shot multiplier (except oddly the TRAC-5 S, which is lowest), and all have almost exactly the same CoF stats. The only noticeable difference in TR carbines is their bullet velocity, and their RoF. In comparison, the NC and VS have a wide variety of carbines to suit the player's style, with different damages, RoF, recoil, and other unique stats.
    • Up x 4
  4. Fenrisk

This ^^^^

Pointless taking carbines into CQC as a uppercut or nighthawk (shotgun) rules them areas. So only long range effectiveness matters.

If a TR player wanted to pick a carbine for long range combat no matter which he chooses he has to deal with a significant amount of horizontal recoil, first shot recoil on top of not having the option of a advanced foregrip. ROF and mag size isn't a advantage at range unless the recoil can be managed. In TR's case it can't be managed past a significantly shorter range. Having lower damage per bullet at range is also a significant disadvantage as it means you can't just try 1 bullet bursts to the head. It takes more then 4 head shots in 1 bullet bursts to drop a player using any tr carbine at around 75m using it past that range is a joke. Try busting at that range or more and only your first bullet will hit.

I think what most TR or other faction players are looking for is long range accuracy even if it means a much slower time to kill. That means far less horizontal recoil and first shot recoil with the option of a advanced foregrip.
    • Up x 1
  5. BH Brigade

ACX11 is garbage, due to the cone of fire crapping out after five shots. Merc is better long range IMO.
  6. Zopp

the amc is one of the worst guns in the game.
    the standard trac 5 is decent, somewhat controllable and you get 10 extra rounds.
  7. TeknoBug

I liked using the AC-X11 before GU3(?), now it's crap and oddly enough the Reaper DMR is similar to the AC-X11 but isn't crap, I still rack up kills with that.
    Is it? I use the T5 AMC on my TR, it's still better than the NC GD-7F in some ways- the GD-7F may be a fast gun, but it's so inaccurate, the EM1 is similar.
    • Up x 1
  8. h00n

Orion or Saron.

Either or.
  9. Zopp

The AMC has comparable recoil to the trac 5, same bullet damage, so you just give up rate of fire using it. you end up loosing close fights because of that , and with the similar accuracy you don't gain anything at range.
    You seem to use your carbines at longer ranges, id recommend you try the jaguar with a foregrip versus the AMC, that is really the best longer range carbine choice for TR - since we do not have any carbines with a higher damage and lower rof to use long range.
    As for GD-7F I haven't used it enough to make a full judgement, but in close I know its great - but yeah you don't need much accuracy then.
  10. Ranik

Just VR tested the AMC vs Jaguar....

Jaguar wins.... AMC needs it's Initial CoF and RoF looked at.
  11. Blarg20011

AMC needs to be a 30 rnd 167 dmg 580 RoF, give us something other than this 143 crap.
    • Up x 1
  12. BTCreed

I have trouble making sense of the weapons data in a way that allows me to figure out which weapon works best at each range so I can match up against the other empires. Clearly I am not alone in this because I see people using the same data sheets to make completely contrary points. I think the problem stems from trying to compare apples with oranges. How does smaller cone of fire stack up against less recoil? Or larger magazine size with faster reload speed. Or bullet drop with... you get the point.

I will say that I have the most trouble getting kills with my TR character using the default weaponry. I have to specialize my guns for each range (short, medium, long) to match up with default guns in the other empires. Sadly, I cannot interpret the data to explain this. My gut feeling is that the numbers in the data sheets make the weapons look balanced (trading accuracy for more damage, etc.), but in actual combat they somehow work against the TR (which is why I play 95% of the time with TR - I love a challenge). As for why the TR still gets that highest kills in PS2.. it must be because we're the most skilled :) But we're also the biggest nubs because we also have the highest death rate :eek: Either way, we're clearly the biggest whiners...
  13. WalrusJones

Trac-5 has a .5 ADS speed, only the Jaguar and Lynx have .75 move speed for TRbines.

Its one of my favorite weapons in the game.
    I would be sad if it got a style change.
  14. Fumblewatt

It is true that the serpent gets a higher RoF, and to me it falls short of the carbine role, might aswell role with a shotgun than a serpent, jaguar is a more well-rounded carbine.

VS players should combo the new revolvers + serpent, before choosing vx6-7 again, nobody wants to be stuck with the reloading times of the serpent unless they have a powerful alternative. VX6-7 is a gimped Jaguar
  15. Tanelorn

The best balance would be to remove the rediculous AR / carbine restrictions on engineers and medics (and HA).
    • Up x 1
  16. maxkeiser

Trac 5 seems to be totally deadly, whenever I play as vanu/NC. Death within a second. Neither the Vanu nor the NC have any carbine to match it.
  17. maxkeiser

You do realise that you can actually have competition without balance?

Is Federer 'unbalanced' because he is (was) so godly? Should he have been 'nerfed'? Should Manchester United by banned? Is the Premier League not a valid competition because some teams are worse and have less money/assets than others etc etc?
  18. TeknoBug

Most games in the MLG are balanced or restricted to certain weapons/loadouts, such as in Call of Duty you can't use certain perks or certain attachments, I don't think PS2 is ready.
  19. Metaltoys

The Gauss S is a garbage weapon. I will never use it again now that i have the medal for it.
  20. Ghosty11

You do realize the difference in TTK between the Serpent and VX6-7 is 0.03 seconds, which I really doubt that you will notice difference. What you trade for that 0.03 seconds in TTK between the Serpent and VX6-7 is 0.5s short reload time and 1.1s long reload time, and worse hip fire cof, while the VX6-7 has a higher first shot recoil and higher vertical recoil. I prefer the VX6-7 over the Serpent because of the faster reloads, and better hip fire accuracy, the recoil is user manageable, IMO it's a better gun for CQC than the Serpent.