Is Quad core processors better than six cores?

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by aazo5, Apr 20, 2013.

1. Beartornado

Well that's not quite what I meant. If all 8 cores were actually being used then of course it would be superior.

But in this situation, where nothing needs to use 8 physical cores to their fullest extent, would a 4core/8logical do better simply because it would be used more than an 8 physical core (or in my case, the 6 logical being used more than if I had a 6 physical).
  2. BlackDove

You're not making the distinction between physical and logical cores when you say that. If it can use multithreading, doubling the physical cores will double the performance. Since Hyper Threading is not adding physical cores, but allowing threads to execute on the same core, when the core has idle cycles, it doesn't double, but gives you about 15% better performance usually, so that number adds up.
  3. Dragam

Right, unless youre one of the monkeys who lowers all their settings to minimum, to get most possible fps, then you certaintly wont get 200 fps in bf3.

At 1440p, im gpu limited, so i lowered my resolution to 1080p so that i was clearly cpu limited... so at 1080p, with HT enabled, i average at about 85 fps, while with HT disabled, i average at a bit more than 70 fps.
    While that difference may not sound dramatic, as the average is above 60 in any case, it can make quite a significant difference, as the minimum fps gets increased with HT enabled... and its really the minimum fps you want to get increased, as the "lag spikes" will often get you killed.

Im aware that some titles are backwards compatible (bf3 is, crysis 3 isnt) but being backwards compatible, doesnt mean that they are optimized for the older version... and i do know, as i used to use 295 quad sli in bf3.
  4. Itzyab0i

Better to have a FAST quad core CPU then a slower 8 core CPU.
  5. BlackDove

Not always. Although, if you're comparing the Intel quad cores to the AMD eight cores, then yes, the quad cores are better. Intel Xeon eight core vs i5, the Xeon is way more powerful.
  6. Thudruckus

As people have said 6 cores is a total waste for gaming. You don't even need the 4 cores.

I fried some of my 2600k cores seeing how far past 5ghz I could go so I disabled the two that were ****** and loaded planetside. Played pretty much the exact same as when all 4 cores were going. My computer loaded slower but the gameplay was pretty much identical.
  7. Thudruckus

Fried 2 of my cores on my 2600k and played with only 2 cores nearly the same as when all 4 worked. It was running at 5ghz though.
  8. Ian_M

I think about 3-4 years ago when it came to pc gaming there was an issue where a quad core was no benefit compared to a dual core as most games (or game engines) did not really need it.
    It seems a similar situation now but just more cores.
    Its a matter of time before game engines take advantage of more cores/threads. What about unreal engine 4 which will be used for game development now.
    If you have an i5 its a problem as Intel keep changing their sockets. If its not enough then you need to get a complete cpu/motherboard upgrade.

If you buy a new PC every year then its not a problem. I upgraded my CPU/motherboard memory with a view for it lasting 3-4 years before needing a replacement.
  9. Fimconte

I'll drop this here:
    http://bitsum.com/pl_when_hyperthreading_hurts.php

For just gaming, you don't really need anything more than a i5 at the moment for Planetside 2.

However if you want to stream 1080p at a higher quality without using a designated streaming PC, then a 3930k might be worth it.

And if you have good cooling a 3930k is more likely to hit 5ghz and that will give the most benefit in PS2.
    But good 3570k/3770k can also hit that.

Granted you'll probably need considerable cooling to keep temperatures in check, unless you get a golden chip.
  10. Itzyab0i

True, basically it depends on the application.
    However comparing a FAST consumer quad i5 to a XEON processor is not fair IMHO
  11. BlackDove

Why not? An E3 Xeon V2 is the same CPU as an LGA 1155 i7-3xxx, with ECC memory support.

The E5 Xeon is the same chip as an LGA2011 i7 with ECC turned on.
  12. Dragam

Yes, but the price level is VERY different.

Besides, in regards to games, the xeon wouldnt fare all that much better, than a very high clocked i7.
  13. BlackDove

True, but it is a fair comparison since its basically the same CPU. The only differences are ECC and a couple other server features like RDIMM support for up to 1.5TB memory per four socket system, however you can't get an 8 core i7 yet.
  14. ZipIce

Solely depends on the application and whether or not it makes use of all the cores.
    If strictly speaking computation power, cores * ghz = total speed.