Some notes on today's cert grants

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Higby, Apr 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fantomas

You're gonna lose a lot of players with this.
    • Up x 10
  2. Gustavo M

Cert refund, higby.
    It's time.
    • Up x 3
  3. Kahlev

You're going to have to fix this asap, revert the cert grant. Either give out a reasonable amount, or change it to station cash. Giving players 20-100k+ certs to their chars is unbalancing and unfair.

I have easily spent $300 on this game so far, and not been upset with my purchases. But people essentially buying certs to this degree is unsettling, and I will not spend another dime on this game until it is fixed. If it is not fixed within a week I will be cancelling my membership status. This is game-breaking and playerbase destroying, and it will kill your game if you don't fix it.
    • Up x 7
  4. Custodes

SOE get in line or you will see alot of membership cancellations.
    • Up x 5
  5. Heavy

Before my cert refund, I didn't want to play because of the cert grind, among other things. After my cert refund, I realize there's nothing to PS2 beyond the cert grind. In fact, I started playing again only because I had received a refund.

When's PS1 going F2P? Not soon enough, whatever the answer is.
  6. Wobberjockey

will someone please explain how certs somehow equals godlike power?

because, really i'm not seeing it.

these new players still won't know how to shoot, they still won't know where people attack from, and they still won't know how to flank you.

sure they might be a bit tougher to kill due to nanoweave, but let's be honest, that's what, an extra bullet? 2?

so they will have the new guns when they come out... so will the players that saved certs or used SC to buy stuff on day 1

again, i'm really not seeing how this is a problem of game breaking proportions that mandates the immedate rollback that people are threatening to rage quit over.

a noob is still a noob, even if they have shiny new armor and weapons. doesn't mean they will have any clue how to use it.
    • Up x 2
  7. Zan_Aus

Hmmmmm, given that they can't restore deleted characters I suspect that their database/rollback system is so inept that they may actually be unable to rollback unless they take the databases offline for some database dude to spend 3 weeks manually rebuilding it.
  8. Kahlev

They can buy weapons with certs, not just upgraded abilities. That includes fully decked out ESF's and MBT's, or a fully certed out MAX unit, or fully certed out weapons.

If you are even attempting to suggest that there is no difference between things like a default brand new Gauss SAW and a fully certed one, or a LA with 2xc4, Flash grenades, and maxed out jumpjets, or a medic with fully certed everything and revive grenades, then you simply haven't played the game, period.

Certs can make HUGE differences. The difference between JJ1 and JJ6 is ENORMOUS, as is just having 2xC4. These are gameplay changing things, all purchased with certs. Certs many of us spent hours of time and lots of concentration and skill earning, which is now made mockery of.
    • Up x 7
  9. iminay

The problem is not that new players got the funds (and they most likely did not get the funds since they didn't spend any station cash to begin with), its that they were either alts or already active players getting the funds.

When you are fighting at equal skill levels, cert points matter. A completely certed out ESF is going to have an advantage over a less certed out one. Fully certed out battle tanks have weapons with max ammo and reload speeds. At BR 60 ish you should have around 20k certs spent across all of your loadouts, giving a BR 60 an additional 50k+ certs to spent is unbalancing the game completely. On Connery we now have a BR 50 that has more certs then our most active BR 100. And these players did not just get certs on one of their characters, all of their alts are decked out now too.

Grinding out the battle ranks we all have to make choices where to specialize. This game is designed so that players can't fill every role imaginable with 100% efficiency. This cert rollout whiped this out for a small percentage of the playerbase, who can now hop on any loadout they want and be as good as anyone who painfully slowly certed out that role over the course of many many hours /played.
    • Up x 3
  10. Shiladie

This massive amount of unwarrented certs needs to be rolled back, or you're gonna lose a LOT of players over this. You have random people suddenly given tens of thousands of certs out of the blue, even if they never spent a dime.

You really ****** this one up soe
    • Up x 6
  11. vulkkan

Either give everyone 10k certs to reach the cap or revamp the cert system immediately. Tons of us feel screwed over in a sick ironic sense. Or allow cert resets. Or wipe/fix/restore/edit characters with insane cert refunds. Hand out promo codes to those who purchased extras so they can redeem them for SC items.
    • Up x 2
  12. Wobberjockey

i know certs can make a difference, i'm just saying that it's not going to make all the difference. when i die, i don't go "damn he has more certs than me" no when i die it's because I ****** up... usually. giving some people a functionally infinite amount of certs will not change that fact. at least not from my perspective of the game.
    weather or not it changes their enjoyment really isn't my concern in this case. they can best speak about their situation.

alright this is a valid argument, but again, how would it affect me as a player?
    yes, the relative value if my specialization is decreased, but as a player can only be one class at a time, From my perspective i see a specialized player. PLUS they aren't going to be as good in their various generalist roles as they would be had they specialized. an engineer who has spent all their points in engineer, and played primarily engineer, is going to be better than someone who has spread their time, or has suddenly acquired certs and spent them.

again there is no substitute for experience, and even if i were given a fully certed magrider, i would only become marginally better, and i would still get my **** whupped by a dedicated Vanguard pilot, and i would bet that the vanguard pilot would not know the difference if you asked him.
    • Up x 1
  13. Gavyne

I see that your stats show you have over 12k cert points, so you've been on the receiving end of this bonus gift from SOE. So I think you not seeing this as a game breaking problem may be because you're a tad biased.
    • Up x 2
  14. Bobby Shaftoe

The game is already 'unbalanced'.

They decided on 'PS1 BR40' (access to everything) route from the very start, which is ironic, since BR40 was what everyone hated and was usually cited along with 'super soldiers/inventory' as the main problem with PS1, yet they all seemed to love the new PS2 cert system... despite it being functionally identical to PS1 BR40.
  15. Brawny

I very rarely post on this forum, though I do read it a fair bit, mostly because I find a lot of people to be immature whiners who cry a lot about nothing. This is the first time I've been disgusted enough by something the Planetside team has done that I feel a need to post about it.

I spend a lot of time grinding for certs. I bought Premium almost exclusively because I wanted to get the daily cert boost... And yet you're telling me that I could have just spent $15 on duplicate purchases and ended up with more certs total than the entire 3 month span will give me? That's just simply not right. You wasted my money and gave a disproportionate reward to an insignificant investment.

It's time to roll back what you did. It will be a pain in your ***. You will have crybabies. But it's exceedingly obvious that it's the right thing to do.
    • Up x 6
  16. Zaik

and here's me adding useless decimal places to the number 200 apparently.
  17. Wobberjockey

wrong.
    i've been playing since beta, and have 2 characters, both VS, and only one has significant time invested (the other is parking a name, really).

but you could have seen that since you checked my stats.
    but hey, i'll give you references if you would like to check for yourself
    http://www.planetside-universe.com/character.php?stats=Wobberjockey
    https://players.planetside2.com/#!/5428010618019976033/stats

note this line?

18. Neopopulas

Thats a ridiculous amount of certs.. 2:1? So if you buy something worth 750 SC, say like, a weapon, you get 1500 certs? Why not 1000 certs? The same it would have cost to buy that weapon with certs? Why the extra certs?

500 SC for some armour, and suddenly you have 1000 certs? 1000 certs is a LOT of certs, especially since you can't spend certs to buy camo or armour (which is stupid in and off itself) so those certs will ONLY go to combat effectiveness and making the character a higher "level" of danger?

Ugh..

The amount of time and real money i've put into this game is pretty large, and thats fine. I paid by sub, i have alpha squad, i like this game, even with the occasional bug or the problems, the weird updates or balance issues. All games have those. But this is BIG slip, one that does not make me happy at all and one that does not make me want to keep supporting.

Not only is the cert gain WAY too high, i'm sure i've bought duplicate items, and i got no certs, and not only that bug (maybe) but i know people who suddenly get six thousand certs, or nine thousand certs. Whether they intended to pay for them or not.. they now have they without any effort at all, totally blowing me away and leaving me in the dust. It makes all my work to get those certs feel.. less important, somehow now my work is invalidated because they just get given all these certs.

I was first sort of worried about the SC shop, i worried about pay-to-win when you could buy guns, and i thought it weird that you couldn't use certs to buy armour and camo, but i thought it wasn't a big deal because you couldn't use SC to actually BUY anything like utility, or rank up your class abilities, it was still fairly even in that regard, despite the guns and cosmetics, they were all just variations on a theme.

But now, suddenly, people have got "free" certs, money spent for one thing, has now got them certs, certs are the only REAL currency in the game, they simulate EXP, your level, and experience are only based on your certs, they don't even matter, leveling up and getting EXP only exist so you can have those certs, so basically some people just got a massive jump in levels and combat ability because of money they paid.

It makes me feel like i've been cheated, because all the work it will take me to get those certs, were just - effectively - bought, or actually just GIVEN to these people, since the got what they paid for (the weapon, whatever, on all their characters) AND the certs as well..

10,000 certs would be 5000 SC which is 45 bucks. 45 bucks for 10,000 certs isn't a bad deal.
    • Up x 3
  19. Gavyne

I did, it shows 12k certs. But I misread it, that's your all-time certs earned, so I apologize. I thought it shows your current number of certs.
    • Up x 1
  20. Wobberjockey

i just checked. 500 some certs at the moment. saving up for a new phantom
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.