Lancer! Striker! Phoenix!

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by Transvestosaurus, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Anvildude

Of course that all depends on what the Vanu MAX ability is.

Then again, the Vanu and NC's new 'lauchers' seem like they're perfect for taking out stationary targets.
  2. Darlith

Ah yeah I can see how that would be. However, I was just pointing out that if the pheonix follows PS2 rocket rules it is potentially overpowered, PS1 rules kept it from really being op versus infantry. Of course it all depends on how it steers really.
  3. Stormlight666

I had more fun hitting troops with the Phoenix in PS1. Finally i'll be able to hit those LA that hide on the Crown top shooting down at us since SOE refuses to put a Sphere Of Influence on bases to prevent enemies from dropping on it (outside of a squad beacon of course).
  4. Kildorragh96

As long as it can't pass through shields then I don't care that the NC got the most useful, or at least the most different and therefore better in a fair few situations launcher. As long as they can't sit in their spawn room and shoot it, and it they get killed mid flight then they lose control of the rocket, then thats cool
  5. Lafladitu

The Lancer I think will be very usefull for VS, special against heavy defended positions like the Crown and specialy against Anchored Prowlers. It will be intressting though what will the Lancers Max and Min damage be, as the longer you power it up the more dmg it deals and how will the ammo (battery) work.

I am though gonna buy it as I see some nice benefits with it, the NC's ESRL is another thing I am looking forward to on my NC toon, depending on how the camera controlled system will work, I can see some really nice tactics when using it, it could be used for scouting an area to see where sunderers are located, that can be relayed to the squad/platoon. Esier to hit Liberators and galaxies as you can led depending on their movements and flares wont save them

TR's ESRL I can't say much about as its another lock-on weapon, that I think might do abit more dmg then annihaltor but if it can target bothland and air I amunsure
  6. Eclipson

I just hope the TR one can dumb fire. Looked it up in PS1 and that one could dumb fire. I don't think this thing would be worth much unless you could dumbfire it. Fi you could do that, I might consider buying it. I don't use the annihilator very often because of the fact that I can dumb fire, and have to sit and wait looking at a target that I could have just dumbfired and hit already. Lock on is nice, but its an absolute pain to use if you are not on some far away mountain away from the heat of battle.
  7. UnDeaD_CyBorG

So, the two options I see for the TR Launcher are:
    A) It works like the current Engineer AV turret, which I foresee to be nerfed. It would allow directing swarms of missiles at high ranges, probably at the cost of low AOE and damage. It would definitely not kill tanks with one magazine to the rear in that state; Dumbfire should be perfectly possible, just aim, fire, reload. The missiles will probably go whereever you pointed.
    B) It has a "sort of" short lockon, but you need to aim at it.
    Would offer the advantage of switching targets if flares/smoke is used. This option would probably not allow AI dumbfire, but have decent damage output. Probably better against vehicles because the projectiles will not lead.

In both caes, it would be rather unique, requiring you to be in harms way for either more power or flexibility.

Personally, I so look forward to charging a shot with the Lancer to snipe an enemy ESF that just happens to hover the other way :D
  8. HMR85

Maybe I am wrong here as I did not play TR in PS1. But couldn't the TR dumb fire their missiles before acquiring lock on? At which rate once they did acquire lock on they would go after the target? It has been awhile I just can't remember.
  9. HMR85

10. JesNC

That, unfortunately, was the Vanu AA MAX. Would be a really mean surprise for tankers if the Striker could do that in PS2. I like it!
    • Up x 1
  11. Tar

Phoenix was a controversial weapon to say the least in planetside 1 already. In PS2, they'll be outright horrible.
    Not pleasant for their users, and not pleasant for their receivers. Mark my words.

Introduce only Lancer and Striker and make them not empire specific.
  12. Tar

yes you're wrong. Starfire could do that, as stated above.
    Strikers could switch between guided and dumbfire mode. dumbfire would be mostly an emergency solution against close-up maxes, for anything else the missiles were too slow.
  13. Arcanotechnician

When PS1 first came out, the Striker could absolutely originally be fired up in the air above a target without lockon, and then you could acquire lock when they were near the target. It also originally had three shots per clip instead of five.
  14. Squigzy

NC: Our Rockets will blot out the sun!
    TR/VS: Then we will fight in the shade!
    *The shade explodes*

So, apparently the Sar... Lancer is going to be high damage at full charge, can anyone say "ESF Skeet Shooting"?

I am Hoping and dreading that the TR swarm launcher is more like a TOW than a lock-on, or if it is a lock-on that the lock resumes if the lock is re-established (Otherwise the weapon is useless... pretty much everywhere). Or a kind of.. Wire-Guided.. Lock On... hybrid crazy thing...

Regardless, Camera Guided Mortars.. Bombs... Missiles.. i meant Missiles.... should be a rather fun way to scamper to win.
  15. Matthew Clark

I can just imagine a large outfit like 666th devil dogs just sitting on one of the air pads at the crown and launching 300 something missiles across the bridges. Its a hilarious image when you imagine some poor prowler secondary looking up 3 seconds before the missiles hit.
  16. HMR85

That is what I thought. I could of sworn seeing that in game for the TR during the early days of PS1.
  17. santuckcasper

agreed, whinning BEFORE IT IS EVEN OUT *looks over at the whinners*
  18. Cryptek

I also think there's a bunch of butt-hurt TR out there because they don't get a fun new toy like NC or VS :p

I am personally looking forward to getting my hands on the lancer once more! Lasher/Lancer, the only true VS HA!
  19. Anvildude

I still think that the Striker will be able to carpet-bomb areas. And that might make me actually play my TR toon.

Camera guided? Bah. Boring and done-to-death. But cluster munitions and swarm rockets are always fun.
  20. Transvestosaurus

It's a bit early to be re-writing Christmas classics, but I read 'Lasher/Lancer' and then simply had to name the rest of Father Vanu's reindeer...

And he whistled, and shouted, and called them by name; "Now, Lasher! now, Lancer! now, Beamer and Nyx and... On, Comet! on Blueshift! on, VX6-7!"
    • Up x 1