How many people enjoy the pointless nature of this game?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Arsinek, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Mooge

Cool, link them.
    • Up x 2
  2. beastmode619

i think planetside 2 is relying on its great foundation which is its gameplay and a faith in that the consumers will stay just long enough for the extra goodies to come in.

im pretty sure they are well aware that leaving a fanbase waiting too long ...will lead to impending disaster.
  3. qrolominion

how is it in any way like COD??? it has to be completely opposite, yes it may be like BF3 but on a much larger and futuristic scale, obviously you are not one for FPS games cause i think this is quite a unique amazing game.
  4. Sharpe

Maybe, there are folks out there who have alot of money that you don't. That's the thing about money, its value is completely relative to how much you have.
    400 $/€ may be alot in your eyes, and it may be pocket change for someone else.

I hold a relatively very well paid job currently - spending 400€ on my main hobby is something I can definately see myself doing.

You shouldn't be so close minded.
    • Up x 1
  5. humpmasterflex

Not many apparently, considering this game isn't even in the top 20 most played games on Steam Stats. With a whopping 2,500 total players signed in right now.
  6. Turiel =RL=

That's funny, because I never played Planetside 2. I am playing the SOE version of Battlefield 2142.
  7. Istrebljivach

LOL, I guess everyone can have different taste. Warhammer was total crap that my friends and me preordered and then all quit playing before first montly subscription was due.

However, I enjoy PS 2 and really find it thrilling and addictive.

I am not yet bothered about lack of "higher reason" to do the killing, since I am meta-gaming ony my own (K/D ratio, XP/hour, sneaking and killing deep in enemy territory. etc) and slowly exploring other classes..

By the time I get bored i am sure there will be some more meta game elements to keep me occupied even longer.
  8. Jex =TE=

Point out where I said I don't have a desire for a metagame? You can't

you are wrong!
  9. Taiji

For me there's a few issues:

1) The biggest thing a faction can do at present is get a little reduction to resource costs.

2) Death means nothing at all.

3) Defending stuff is (xp) pointless since release.

4) Taking empty bases is a time consuming annoyance for everyone who sincerely wants to play a first person shooter instead.

5) Revives do not prevent a death, they usually cause you to get another one. (Was looking forward to playing medic...)

But still I think the game is already great. I would just like to see the above issues resolved and PS2 to become that much greater.
  10. ArmedGoose

You have wrong expectations. PS2 is not a "tactical" FPS game or something.
    Think of it more like a beefed up version of Q3A - basically a frag fest team death match. I dont understand why ppl try so hard to pretend its something oh so different than CoD or BF3.
    Sure, maybe it could be. Or it should be?
    But as of now it's not and I doubt constant whining about it on the boards will change much in the foreseeable future.
    If you want more tactical team-play and stuff you are on the wrong planet - literally. ;)

When you come home after a frustrating long day at the office and want to let off some steam hop on PS2 and start fragging for an hour or two.
    Can be a lot of fun and often that's exactly what I want/need. Of course its "pointless" - as most games are.
    Having fun? Good for you, enjoy your stay.
    Not having fun? Then... honestly I dont want to sound disrespectful and stuff but... well... get outta here and try something different?
  11. Kurreah

On the other hand, the game is not a steak, cooked to a specific customer's request. It is a prepackaged meal that is produced and sold to appeal to as many as possible, since it cannot be tailored to just one person.
    People are different. You, I, and the developers have to accept that there will be people who dislike the game. No matter what is done for it or them, there will always be people whose personal tastes the game does not cater for. I don't mean dislike as in continuously try to find fault with it. I mean just happen to not enjoy it.

Reading the forums, there is anything but "constant romanticizing by the most impassioned of the community about how we should enjoy things just because they like them". It is mostly complaints.
    In fact, the OP is really nothing but a demand that we should not enjoy things because the poster does not.

Not a school of very much thought then. They would hardly spend all that money on development then pick a payment system designed to make money over a period of several years if they were after a quick cash grab.
    Make no mistake: if they thought that they would make more total money with an up-front purchase and subscription required they would. But that would certainly give them faster cash.
  12. chilly154

What are you doing here on the forums? Did you just come here to troll the forums? If oyu don't play the game then don't even bother go on the forums.
  13. oooryan

i think a big thing keeping me interested in the game is that everything is a person...each solider, vehicle, aircraft, turret etc...is a real person with human thought processes....not programmed ai (which gets boring)...so you get all the benefits of playing with someone who is thinking about the best thing to do (depending on their skill level of course) and problem solving (which current ai could never do) ....and all the hilarious mistakes humans make cause we are human...im always surprised everytime i log in with something that i havent seen before
  14. nubery

The original PlanetSide's metagame would be a good step.
  15. Wily

I find it entertaining as long as there's something to do. If there's a midsize or larger fight somewhere, I'm happy. I'll tolerate playing whackamole at places like Zurvan as population dips because at least every once in a while you still get into a fight. As soon as neither is happening and all there is to do is follow the unopposed zerg or ghost cap, I log to do something else.
  16. AtomicGerman

If you stopped playing, how is your position on this game still relevant?
  17. oooryan

im pretty sure it was "rushed" because they wanted to release it for the holidays...i dont know about you but that is smart...its not like the game isn't playable...it had way more that i thought it would have at release...i only discoveredcert upgrades a couple of weeks ago...

there is always going to be people who complain about imbalance in this game because are SO use to being catered to in other fps games....not naming any names but we all know
    and when these people don't get the same treatment they are use to in other games...they say MAJOR IMBALANCE...um no you are just use to "winning" in other fps's and this game doesn't make it so easy (unless your a farmer)
    i found this post somewhere about a guy addressing the issue with games now....decades ago ( snes days) if a game had "imbalance issues", you wouldn't see the players of those games complaining to developers about the game...people were just excited to play the game...nothing really appeared to be "programmed badly" and if it was...it was looked at as the challenge...not an impossible task that can only be fixed by the developers...when i was a kid i never complained about how a game was made..if something annoyed me id just get over it an deal with it (get better)

if you think it is impossible to have fun in this game because of imbalance then you are playing the wrong game...im not even good AT ALL..very bad kdr..but i dont really have imbalance issues..if there are tanks...spawn a tank...too much air? spawn and aircraft...you have unlimited lives in this game...no game over...i think that trumps any issue lol

this isnt a game to show off your fps skills (maybe for some), its a game to have fun...its what YOU make of it
  18. footjam

I love this game. I dont have hours everyday to play but I try to. I like hoping on and then figuring out how I want to play for an hour or two. Do I want to foot zerg? Do I want to hold up in a biolab? Do I want to head to another continent and go lone wolf? Do I want to fly or tank? No watching tickets endlessly disappear as my team is hammered by a clan. No UT style twitch gaming (bunny hoppers make me smile in PS2 when they cant move), this is a fun game. I am sorry for the short attention span crowd that needs there to be a purpose to killing thousands of people (and rewarded for it?) but I enjoy it for what it is, a chance after work to blow off some steam, ******** with friends and watch things explode.
    • Up x 1
  19. VoidMagic

I love PS2.
    /thatisall
    • Up x 1
  20. oooryan

just the fact those thousands of people are real thinking human brains intrigues me...winning against current ai technology isnt exciting to me..