Rez stealing

Discussion in 'Combat Medic' started by Chinchy, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Jikkan

I posted my thoughts about the issue here among other things (i wish i had posted that thread in these forums but i didn't know they existed before now).

Are you aware that Medical Applicator 6 revives with 100% health? There is NO BENEFIT to staying on a single target if you have it. In fact, a medic should revive as many people as possible in as short a time as possible, and that is currently not possible because of the way the revive mechanic is FLAWED.

Besides, in the field you rarely have the luxury to be able to stand still like a target for the 5-10 seconds a revive like the one you are proposing would take.

How does reviving someone efficiently mean you are taking less responsibility for their well being? I thought being revived at a 100% health while I have my gun up attempting to prevent another immediate death is a far better way to take responsibility.
    • Up x 1
  2. IshanDeston

No really? Do tell me more. They really should make a tool tip about something like that. You know when you would hover your mouse over the levels. It could tell you which percentage you revive people with.

Thats marvelous news.
    Nothing is stopping you to do that. It just means that some of them will be revived by another medic. Just because you have a max level doesn't mean you should suddenly be able to keep newbies from playing the class.

I can, so its not that rare and obviously, if you can't stay that long, you shouldn't rezz him there. Full HP doesn't guarante that he won't die in a bullet rain right away and just because you want to leave 75exp for a revive, doesn't mean you should revive people in places you can't even stay 5-10 seconds.

So do that. If some other medic is rezzing them meanwhile, the soldier is still on their feet. If its about reviving them, you shouldn't care. But you do care because you don't get exp. If you want the exp, lock the rez. Simple as that.
    • Up x 1
  3. Abye

Medic isn't my main class but i still have 100% rez. Why ?

Because it is infuriating to get rezzes at 20% and have the medic run off just to farm xp. If I see them doing this to others I TK them
  4. AznChristian

The problem with the solution of locking rez would be if i'm playing with my outfit, they would much rather have me that they know has 100% rez than risk having a random rez them.
    I think the best solution would be that the person who gets there first gets the revive exp, The overrides wouldn't count as exp, just the benefit of the better gun, if the new healer has a better gun, and the new guy would get the "heal" exp that the old medic would have to do to get the guy to the % of the new guy's rez
    • Up x 1
  5. Jikkan

The assumption that you didn't is literally the only way I could make sense of your previous post.
    Yes there is. The fact that I have a high chance of not being rewarded for my actions. What is this about keeping newbies from playing the class? Where do you even get that from?

How can you even argue for when I should or should not revive someone on such a general basis? The notion is laughable.

If this isnt addressed I in fact won't do that. The reason being that I am taking a risk while I am reviving and covering the player being revived all while another player is simply freeloading exp. Why you seem to think that is justified and acceptable behavior is beyond me.

There is only really one thing I want you to tell me: Why do you think locking a rez should be necessary?
  6. Vorenius

I've gotten to the point where I just kill medics who are overriding my revives.
    • Up x 1
  7. Dhart

No... to rez someone with 20-50% health who will immediately die again from any stray bullet because the Medic can't be bothered to heal him completely is wasting the dead's time and the team's. Time that could have been spent running back from a spawn point in full health.
  8. shd

What a stupid post, So we should stay on the corpse regardless of other people lying around dead because it guarantees xp due to flawed mechanics. If anything, thats the xp whoring mindframe and part of the problem.

Anyway, i think that the revives should be allowed to occur simultaneously and the first one to finish the bar gets it. No reviving already revived corpses. That way a dedicated medic will be competitive because lvl5 tool is cheap and xp ****** will lose out.
    • Up x 2
  9. FireBreather

He has been keep reiterating that position from other posts. Not sure why he prefers a game mechanic that rewards a xp whorer for doing something that is completely unnecessary in the first place and get rewarded for it. His solution is to basically sit by the patient and do nothing until the patient accepts/denies rez or allow someone else to steal the xp from you.

If the rez is automatically locked as soon as the first medic finishes, both medics can move on to different patients who need help.
  10. IshanDeston

To prevent newbies from never getting a rezz when in 2 month from now every Medic and their Dog has a level 6 tool. Without new blood a game is dying and i don't want Planetside to die like the first one did.

If i am running around with my level 6 Tool and lock everyone else out, just because they take twice as long (trice if you consider that you have a distance advantage). I want to see newbies being able to join this game and still experiance being a Medic and not just a "heal bot", which in and on itself is arguebly not going to happen either. As experianced medics have the tendency to use their powerful heal auras to keep everyone healed around them.

As such i do like the mechanic as it is. You can lock a rezz if you have to have those exp, by keeping up the beam. Or you can run around and rezz as many people as possible, but relinquish the "rights" to that corpse.
    • Up x 1
  11. Berious

Ridiculous suggestion OP. You already get a much faster rez and longer range. If you still can't catch the rez then too bad, newer players need a chance to contribute too.
    • Up x 1
  12. alecholman

What's annoying is when I get TKed by friendly medics so someone can steal my rezz, and sometimes they don't even rezz me.
  13. Jikkan

Positioning is more important than tool level when it comes to getting revives. If the changes I suggested were implemented, the newbie medic would also not have to worry about having their revive stolen afterwards.

I don't like the mechanic as it is, I believe it to be flawed, and I have suggested a way to fix it.

In my thread i did suggest that the person being revived should be informed how much health they would respawn with. That would be a disadvantage for new medics but i think it would also mean a lot more revives accepted on average. It would also incentivize medics to upgrade their tools and reward them for it.
  14. Odessa

I thunk I have a fix....I am just going to start killing medics that try to steal my revives. I am a maxed out medic, too many times have I seen a medic rush in and override my revive only to see the revived player stand up and have minimum health.
    • Up x 2
  15. T0rin

I've only been playing PS2 for about 5 days now, but rez stealing is starting to annoy me, mainly by someone who I know is giving level 1 rez.

The solution I believe is two fold...

1) Show a % heal on the revive dialog box given to the person being rez'd, so they can decide to take it or not.. as someone being revived, I'd love to know that I won't be someone's farm the instant I pop back up.
    2) Only let a higher level med applicator override a previous rez. If you rez level 1 and then I rez level 5, the guy revives at 100%. But if I rez level 5 and you try to override my rez, no dice.
  16. Vreki

Why are you even around to see that? Rez & Run.
    And I suggest that any Medic which feel possessive over a particular corpse should start to teabag it until it accepts the res.
    It would let other people know that the corpse is being used by someone important.
    • Up x 2
  17. Intruder313

Perhaps put the decision in the hands of the "patient".

Instead of "<Most recent> wants to Revive you" it gives you a list in Healing Tool Rank Order with time rank as the secondary filter:

1. <Unknown> wants to Revive you at 100%
    2. <Unknown and slightly slower> wants to Revive you at 100%
    3. <Squadmate> wants to Revive you at 75%
    4. <Yet another Unknown> wants to Revive you at 25%

Almost everyone will pick the top option every time but sometimes they might choose to accept a Squadmate Revive to help that mate earn some XP, accepting a greater personal risk. He might even grant the new Medic an XP boon....

His choice, no need for the Medics to fight over it.
    • Up x 7
  18. sideshow

Bingo
  19. Tinyish

I think they should make a system of revival assists. Whomever gets there first gets full revive exp, but if someone else gets there a moment later and finishes a revive before the person accepts then they'd get an assist for parial experience, just like experience for kills. The revived who have also gotten a revive assist should get the highest revive +25%. If that 25% goes over thier max health then they'd come back with some shield restored. If someone knew that the nearby medics were noobs, then they could stay down till they got a revive and an assist so that they'd come back with more health. If an area was flooded with medics who all spent thier time getting one soldier up, then the revived would get up with full shields. Assuming there are FIVE medics spending thier time on you, I don't think standing up with full shields is too overpowered. Also, this wouldn't happen all that often. Most of the time it is only one medic attempting a revive. On the other hand, it would give a medic a small bit of exp to attempt to revive someone who was already sitting up, with the risk that their time might be wasted if the person accepts the revive.
  20. Yian

The best solution, IMO, would be to allow higher medical tools to override the earlier ones -- but still give the revive XP to the first reviver, and any additional amount the higher tool heals extra as heal XP to the latest reviver (when the revive is accepted). Add in a circle around the revive icon that shows what level medtool has been used on them, and hide the icon entirely (or show a different icon that lets the medic know that the player has already been revived, but not yet accepted on top of the different pose they will have after the revive) if the target player has the accept revive-button on their screen, and their medtool is lower level than the ones that have already been used (so you can't ever "downgrade" someone's revive).

That way the first responder still gets the revive XP, and even if they were a starting player, they don't get discouraged by higher level medic giving the dead chap an additional boost (where as they now would get the XP for their effort taken from them), and the higher level medic has some incentive to make players revive at 75...100% health instead of 15% without feeling like a jerk for "stealing" the revive (plus, with the revive icon actually showing what level medtool has been used, they don't have to bother with the said corpse).

So, effectively:
    1. Victim dies.
    2. Newbie is closest, and revives the Victim with medtool lv 1.
    3. Veteran happens to be around, and sees that Victim is down, and has been revived (but hasn't accepted yet) with a medtool lv 1.
    4. Veteran uses their medtool lv 6 on the Victim.
    5. Victim comes back from getting a drink/quick biobreak or whatever made them not accept the revive right away, and accepts, gets revived at 100% health. (also, for the love of god, show the revivee how much HP they will have)
    6. Newbie gets 100XP for revive.
    7. Veteran gets 50XP for heal.

Everyone is happy(?).
    • Up x 3