Dying in 1 second is no fun

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Xaragoth, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Codek

I can handle dying in 2 seconds to a hail of fire i happened to stumble into. What i have trouble with is running along the same path as my allies towards an objective, assuming that the path is clear of enemies, and getting fire incoming from right behind me, dying without ever seeing who gunned me down.
    • Up x 1
  2. Campor

I love the current TTK. There have been many occasions where I've been moving with a squad and gotten into a firefight where- Shock horror- I have to take cover. I get so many kills because my enemy isn't smart enough to do the same and just try sprinting at the people who have walls between them and the bullets.

This is more tactical than CoD or Battlefield. You need to move in cover. If you don't, you're a free target.
  3. Jourmand1r

Have you ever played Call of Duty or Battlefield?

I think you are thinking of Halo, because you have to take cover in both of those games.
  4. Hyena Grin

Pretty much every time I've died in under a second, I've deserved it.

Well, maybe not during HA showdowns between NC and Vanu. The Carv is insane. ;P And of course there's snipers - damn their eyes. But other than that, usually I die because someone flanked me and they deserved the easy kill. I don't want to play a game where every fight turns into some kind of BS arena duel where every enemy requires 1.5 magazines to kill. Listen, if you're playing well then you have cover and backup and can get to safety and/or a medic before you lose shields + health. Alternatively, wait for a rez.

Also a healthy acceptance that War is Hell is a great way to stop caring about dying so much. It's D-Day and you're gonna die, just try to do so gloriously. Remember that it's usually pretty easy to get back into the fight. And if it's not, then it's time to cert yourself a mobile spawnpoint sunderer and make it so that other people won't have that problem. Hooray
  5. DCWarHound

The problem with Planetside2 is awareness,i come from BF3 and i can hear tanks at the other side of a building or hear soldiers running up stairs so i blast the side open with a grenade launcher.

In PS2 someone can come around a corner and you don't hear a thing,sound needs to be increased so it travels further and enemies need to be more noticeable.Sometime someone shoots right behind me and i hear nothing but he shows up on the map.

So far visual contact and people showing up on the map when firing is the only times they give themselves away.

Oh and the TTK is fine in PS2,you died when shot by 4 (2 bullets if both are headshots) bullets point blank in BF3 by 900rpm guns.
  6. Jourmand1r

The "i don't know who killed me effect" is produced by:

1. Player Rendering issues.
    2. The fact that the guy who shot you could be halfway across the map.
  7. Davinel

If they up TTK the game will became quake or UT. Not that I do not like quake.. but I think bf-like TTK is much more suited for planetside then quake TTK.
  8. Marinealver

Most games are going that way. One person said he perferd Halo 4 over HAL0 Reach because the shields in reach were too powerful. But then again with the only playlist being used in HAL0 reach is swat everyone wants those 1 hit headshot kills.
  9. Campor

I have, quite extensively. I got a better K/D ration in both those games just rushing forward and spraying bullets mindlessly than I ever did trying to use cover in a tactical sense. Battlefield have it slightly better, but not by much. Compared to this game, they don't require the use of cover at all. In PS2, if you aren't constantly aware of how much cover is around and moving between them properly, you should and will die very quickly, and probably without even seeing who got you or from what angle because you're far too exposed.
  10. Jourmand1r

Did you play with decent players, or did you do 24/7 nuketown/metro?

Did you play hardcore mode?

Are you lying?
  11. Braveliltoaster

its called Nanoweave, it helps
  12. Syrathin

I like the TTK as it is, Makes you have to use cover and keep a constant eye on your surroundings. In games with a high TTK you end up with people shooting at each other out in the open mashing jump and ASD, I know you see that in this game as well but it really isn't very effective unless they're warping which is a technical issue.
  13. PoopMaster

Are you saying that because you think the TTK kill in CoD is low or high? It's ridiculously high in my opinion compared to other games, and they don't even have the excuse of having over-shields.
  14. Jourmand1r

I tried telling him that earlier.

Can can die in as few as 4 bullets on softcore Call of Duty from a carbine style weapon.

And dont even get me started on battlefield.

For like the first 6 months after released the PKP was doing 85 damage per bullet in non vital areas (non headshot).

The PKP is a freaking lmg with like 200 bullets per clip.
    • Up x 1
  15. Linedan

I agree that dying in one second is no fun.

It is, however, for me, a way of life that I appear to have embraced without trying.

Actually, the only infantry class that's surprised me a bit with squishiness was heavy assault, and that's usually because I forget to hit that shield overcharge before getting into a firefight. (I rarely play it, usually I'm an engineer.)
  16. Jourmand1r

What faction do you play as?
  17. Spiffmeister

Find a rock and hide behind it. If you're dying quickly it's probably because you're not using cover.
  18. Xaragoth

No, I just played too much of this:

Planetside 2 just has so little to do with actual tactical decision right now, that maybe I really expect it to be too much like a decent skill based twitch shooter compared to a "if I can see you, you are dead."

I am just waiting for more people to realize you can easily take out anyone with the Nighthawk if you upgrade the Magazine and use Slugs. Did that earlier. You can even kill a MAX as HA easily with an entire Nighthawk magazine and switching to the pistol. It's quite ridiculous how fast everything dies ... except a Galaxy. Maybe I should wear a armor made of Galaxies at all times. That sounds good, let's do that.
  19. Canaris

save your certs and buy the nanoweave armour then, I much prefer this faster paced combat over PS1 ttk.
  20. direwind

if you want to live along while and dont want the effort of aiming just play as TR, their weapons have silly over the top ROF, they dont spread that far either and they have the most ammo...

SO HOLD that trigger and mow down 10 people