Unplayable lag. Yes LAG, internet lag, server lag. Latency.

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Baleur, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Twist

We are looking into the reports on this - we have checked ourselves (yes, including Miller) and we do not see long server frame times. This means the servers themselves are keeping up with the load, so it is not "server lag". There are of course many components to user experienced lag, so your play experience may not reflect how the server is operating. It's possible we have a systemic IP transit problem with specific providers, packet loss within external networks, etc. That's what we're checking now.
    • Up x 1
  2. Dubious

Open Beta usually have stable servers
    PS2 is more like Alpha at this point, even tech test was better
    • Up x 1
  3. Sardwyn

Perfect narration :p
    • Up x 1
  4. Dubious

Finally a good answear from someone that know what they write about.
    • Up x 1
  5. Deci

Does anyone here actually know which company that are running the european servers for the game?!
    • Up x 1
  6. BenjC

Thank you for a proper answer without fobbing us off to another company, hopefully you'll be able to find it soon.
    • Up x 1
  7. Sardwyn

Ah what are the bets that Pro7 buy their bandwidth from cogent??
    • Up x 1
  8. Abye

If I take your word that Miller has no serverside issues then it must be a networking problem like a faulty switch or your peering partner having problems. This also would explain that a few people are relogging and are suddenly experiencing less lag.

Obligarory pic:

[IMG]
    • Up x 1
  9. Bosjem

I think that many beta players (like me) knew that releasing the game meant just starting a form of open beta. Don't get me wrong, i like playing the game and right now it's fairly playable. Still there are major optimization problems for the performance that should have addressed better during the beta (performance has increased a lot during the beta period but still there is a lot to do i think) and now this major lag problems.
    • Up x 1
  10. Fleabag

Oh of course, it's my ISP. :rolleyes: Well mine and several thousand other peoples ISPs spread across a huge amount of different nations. Should have thought of that earlier.

Could it perhaps instead be something to do with Pro7's ISP? :D Either which way. I think it's safe to say that the moment you put in that player-generated-content the first thing we're going to make in Yrope is an all new Sunderer variant.....like this...

[IMG]

....because I get the feeling we're going to need it a lot more in the future.
    • Up x 1
  11. ChipMHazard

At this point in time I'm rather curious as to which company is running the EU servers?
    • Up x 1
  12. Fleabag

Could be 50/50 where you attach the labels. ;)

[IMG]
    • Up x 2
  13. Twist

I want to make it clear I'm not saying "it's your IP" because I hate that phrase as a player myself. It *could* be your IP sure, but I dont throw people under the bus until I'm sure it's their fault. The fair thing to say is we believe you when you say lag is worse, but we've eliminated some internal causes (long server frame times, switches and routers in the data center as they are closely monitored, etc).
    • Up x 1
  14. Dubious

SoE is
    who is providing the connection is another question..
    • Up x 1
  15. ChipMHazard

Hehe certainly seems like it's the case atm. No one wanting to take the blame here. :p
    • Up x 1
  16. Twist

We (SOE) run the servers.
    • Up x 3
  17. Fleabag

Yeah, I'm just being spikey and generally surly, its ok. :p At least someone your end is looking at things now. :)

It's probably your man in the Netherlands he er.....well....you know what that country is infamous for**, he probably popped out for a quick smoke and woke up three days later and forgot he had to run back to change the server-Hamster.

**Tulips.
    • Up x 1
  18. FightingFirst

I had the same problem today. I logged on trying to access a kit terminal would take 10-15 seconds. I would get hit markers ages after the action had happened too. I logged out. Did a speed test, had over 6meg download and 45ms ping and loaded up another online game which ran fine. Logged back on. There was still ever so slight lag (im talking miliseconds).
    I was on Miller btw
    FF
    • Up x 1
  19. Deci

Except for the massive lagspikes in warpgate, the game feels kinda smooth when your alone running and shooting, reloading etc which doesnt work well with classic player-based lag. The problem here begins to pile up when you start to see other players though and they seem to warp all over the map, trying to use the ingame chat or using a terminal. But anyway, its nice to finally see some proper answer and reporting from someone.
    • Up x 1
  20. Dubious

Hope its working in around 19 hours as thats when ill log on again..
    • Up x 1