[Suggestion] Spawn Limitations

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Ketenks, Nov 21, 2018.

1. Ketenks

And how did they achieve this? Faster capture times? With limited spawns you could bring that right back up.

But I imagine everything was too balanced and people wanted to see something happen. Is there something wrong with that? You just want 3 territories that can't be captured and all we do is log on and blast each other all day? Oh wait, you want those 3 territories to change topology and design every few hours to get a different battle scene. Hmm yeah that sounds like the game you want to play. Just a big battle at all times.

I'm a new player and I think the battles are big. I also like going to empty regions and starting new fights. Sometimes I capture the territory by myself and keep going! I've even initiated a rolling capture run that brought us to start and win an alert. The game is dynamic. You are arguing for one style of play. I'm arguing for them all but more tactical. We aren't really talking about the same thing.

Again, I'm not sure what was changed to make fights quicker. Maybe it was an improved community understanding as to how to exploit the game. Maybe back in the day, everyone posted up and shot each other all day instead of side angles that would weaken the line.

EDIT:

Ah beautiful. That's what I want to hear man! Imagine how important outfits will be when you can organize who is on the front line. Outfits become the major players in the game because they are able to organize their resources. With a team, you will find your bravery.
  2. Liewec123

it sounds like you're being sarcastic but yes, that would actually be awesome.
    big battles all the time, occasionally changing scenery, thats what we play PS2 for!
    • Up x 2
  3. LordKrelas

The Crown was a Defensive position.
    Go look on youtube about it, since you are New.

Everything in PS2 Costs Certs, loads of them.
    Objectives right now are:
    • Take a Static Point.

Right now, with no motive to survive a fight, People who actually care about not dying, will not do anything outside their comfort zone.
    They fail to help the objective.
    These are the Spawn-Room snipers who do not leave the spawn room ever.
    They are counter-productive, but it's the best way to avoid Dying at all.
    They are the opposite of the people who Put the Objective Above all else.

Those that play the Objective; They die the absolute most.

You sound like, you're playing on Hossin, during dead hours.
    With essentially no actual engagement at all, nor actual combat, from that description.

It isn't more tactical, that You are limited in Deaths in a Region.
    Everything becomes more "How many times can I do it", and "Death Avoidance", IE, K : D saving tactics, Become God.

If you want to see how, Go read the old threads about the Crown, the Video's, the Saga's written about it.
    That's the old Combat.

Outfits aren't everything.
    As well, what if an Outfit told you to Shove off, if you didn't Max-rush, Would you praise them, or tell them off?
    Bravery, since someone ordered it?
    That's not bravery, that's being ordered to, or be fired, or dismissed, or punished by your CO.

Battles 24\7, without an Hour of Ghost-Capping on Hossin? That would be a damn beautiful time.
    That's what Prime Time is on, Indar, Esmair, and Amerish is.
    The Fights go on, map wide easily, for hours, unless Someone is bright, and tactically takes out the enemy, or zergs them.
    And they didn't need attrition of Lives, to do it either.
  4. Ketenks

Again the big battles don't change with limited spawns since they would get refreshed at every faction capture or defense. I happen to play the game for everything it has to offer. I play where I am needed and try to improve my ability as much as possible. So we can't tailor the game just for players that want big fights. But we can make the game more sophisticated and true which will give meaning to why we fight. I'm a Master Chief kind of player. I play to the mission, not to the kill. I play to get the job done and stay alive doing it. This isn't cowardly fighting but it's purposeful. I am looking to get the highest K/D I can achieve. I'm also looking to get the highest alert wins/D and the highest base captures/D. I think those metrics show quality. And I think better game play is a better game. Simple tactics cheapen the game. This could even out those gamey scenarios and make for a very rewarding experience for everyone. I just think it sounds scary because you see how many ways it could be done wrong. But maybe its necessary to make PS2 what it really can be.
  5. LordKrelas

So you care about K : D , as a measuring stick.
    As if Death in a world of immortals, means anything.

The best way to capture a base with perfect K : D, is avoiding Combat.
    Your number of, or lack there of, for Deaths, means nothing without Context.
    You can play a Tank, and farm 1 room for an hour, gain a 40:1 ratio, but it's meaningless.
    You can get the same Ratio, with a Combat Knife, and it's easily meaningless.
    You can get 3:17, and be the sole man who decided the Base's capture.

K : D by itself, is meaningless.

Simple Tactic: Blast the base, with AOE, till they run out of Lives.
    You risk nothing, and gain everything: Objective is easily claimed without loss.

Hives; Sit in corner, Lock entire map. No risk, no Loss on failure.

Zerg: Maximized K : D, easy effortless certs, dominates map control.

Ghost Capping: Objective Play, to the point of avoiding combat Entirely.
    K : D without context, is cheap.

Limited Deaths, gives no reason to fighting.
    Planetside, is an eternity of death.

Every Directive, involves killing of some sort.
    None Involves K : D.
  6. Ketenks

My expectation of getting into an outfit is getting the rewards of playing with other people. Coordination, teamwork, tactics and priority support, positioning, smart allocation of resources. This is the potential of an outfit. You don't have to join the squad if you want to play solo but there should be an expectation of participation if the outfit wants to stay current, active and relevant. Suit it up and get the job done with outfit play. That's the high level I'd like to get to. With enough people, you can make a casual outfit or a competitive outfit and join which you prefer. With enough people you could make a casual squad or a competitive squad and join which you prefer. With limited spawns, the game forces players to start thinking about who they are in the game and what they are looking to achieve by it. This naturally encourages outfits to become more important than they are and I like that idea.
  7. LordKrelas

In a game like this.
    In the present design of everything, with kills being requirements, and thousands of them..
    Being shut-out of every and any fight you enter, by the hundred & one instantaneous methods of Death, not delayed, not slowed down, Straight Locked out of the entire fight, to supply the "MATCH LOSS" feeling..
    In an Open battlefield, with dynamic fights caused & decided by players..
    Feels hollow as hell.

You want outfits more important, by making it so If you don't focus on Surviving over all others, You can't fight, or enjoy combat?
    You definitely are new.

We used to have Cannons that one one-shot platoons.
    Outfits, and squads already have more team-work options, Tools, and bonuses than anyone else.
    And all centered on themselves over Helping anyone else.

We don't need to be punished, for Not focusing on K : D.
    We have completely useless people, in objective play, as they care about that Number.

To the point where, they try to prevent death... By not actually helping.
    Objective Play, needs coordination, It does not need "If you die, You can't play anymore here."
    Outfits, already have more tools at their disposal.
    They don't need the entire respawn system favoring them too; They already have all the spawn options.

Go watch Videos of gameplay. Or the more active outfits.
    the last thing we need, is the Korean Behavior of "Win at all costs" to be the expected, and near required behavior.
    Not the: Death isn't something to be scared, of, Stay Calm, respawn.
    With your set-up, it's "You die, Suffer."
  8. Ketenks

It's almost laughable how heavy you are about this. Again,
  9. LordKrelas

Friendly Fire; We have potent explosives.
    Their counter-measure is friendly fire to make them not the perfect weapon or solution.

Making it, so any death doesn't delay respawn, but puts you closer to entirely locked-out-combat, is the problem.
    Someone 4th factions, They kill you; Congrats, That can lock you out.
    Someone accidentally kills you; Congrats, You could be closer to being locked out.
    You enter combat; A Tank, Aircraft, or Artillery, let alone OSC Fires; You are now closer to be locked-out.
    You respawn; You are dead.
    You did everything perfect, a single moment of Lag: You are now closer to lock-out.
    You played the Objective; Your reward, Locked out of Playing.
    Someone takes a pot-shot, and it kills: You are Locked out.
    A Max Appears. You are screwed in every level, if you defend the Objective at all.
    An ESF, which can reach any location inside 45 seconds, can kill you in 1 second - You have no Defense. You die.
    C-4; This is common at objectives.
    Grenades. Enough Said.

None of these, are actually things you can do anything about, but stay in Spawn & Never leave.
    It also provides Heavier Bonuses to Shelling Spawn-Rooms, Camping, and ghost-capping.
    As if they get into those positions, you can't even by sheer attrition work, do anything.
    A tank will deplete any Infantry counter, without limit.

Delays are easily handled, and expected.
    Being entirely locked out, when Death isn't controllable, is a bit insane.
    We have too many ways to die, be farmed, and this system abused, to be simply flipped on.
    It adds no Tactical layers, Just "My Farm now locks people out of the game"
    Hell, it means you can literally lock a player from combat, Easily.

Don't like Jim? Shoot jim 5 times, Jim now can't play the objective.
    New player to the outfit? "Go run to the Objective, we Need to be able to play, You are expendable. You don't need to live."
    It also encourages every cheese tactic, and means Any death, from any source, Is Actually Costing the victim hard.
  10. Ketenks

It does NOT lock you out from playing! You can go to any other region. You are acting like the only fight you deserve to be in is the 96+ fight and if you don't have the chance to be there then the game is nothing. What?! This is why this needs to be implemented so that players like you are forced to ADAPT and do something different!

How many times have I said that the limits are reset? So you can join that 96+ when the fight change colors or there is a defense!

Start looking at the big picture and start playing the game!

**Die, respawn, kill, kill, die, respawn, kill, kill, die, respawn, kill, kill, die, respawn, kill, kill**

WHAT?!
  11. LordKrelas

You get locked out from the entire fight you were at, So if you are defending a key objective, You can't play.
    If this is the only fight, with actual combat, or the only large fight: You can't play in it.

This comes from any kind of combat.

The ones who benefit most, are the re-deploy squads, who do not stick to any fight.
    I fight anywhere, but I do not like running map-wide, to get a fight every couple minutes.
    I find a Nice fight on a Lane, I do not abandon it, after a few deaths; If I did, I wouldn't be playing the objective.

Those limits, require a Base reset.
    Such battles where the base changes hands, enough to actually enjoy the fight, between deaths is rare.
    Any field battle is also affected by these regional restrictions, and easily abused.

You are New.
    To win the long haul, you do not Jump ship upon a Death.
    To take the point, you do not hide from death, you charge, you kill, You take the objective.
    The enemy's spawns; Those are Beacons, vehicles, Routers. You do not farm harder, to stop the waves.
    You push, you kill better , smarter, to stem the tide, to reach the Spawn, to secure the Objective.
    Farmers & Experienced Players , will remove new people from Existence in any fight they stay in.

I can throw a grenade around a Building or two, nail a Spawn beacon, from half across a base, first throw.
    I'm not even close to the moderate killers.
    Imagine if you had 10 tries, To face a guy in a Tank, or a Killer.
    You have to cap a base, to respawn again. I just have to farm you, to Win the entire base.
    Farming, becomes more effective, not less.
    I gain certs, and I remove all threat, in the same action, without moving forward.

Removes need to Adapt.
    As you just need to kill, and they will be gone, from the action, without additional work.
  12. Ketenks

Now this is a good point. Except it goes both ways. And with a buff for lower population factions then all those mechanics still apply. The fight lives on into the next region. The fight is now a dynamic changing system rather than these infinite spawn bio lab choke hold stuff.

The limit of 100 deaths per region would never be reached. So even a 100 death spawn limit is effectively an infinite spawn for 99% of fights. So naturally if you lower that by 1 every hour, people will continue to not notice any difference until when? Tell me the lowest limit spawn count where there would be no noticeable difference for 95% of fights. I'd say that number is right around 30 lives. I'd say that 99% of the population doesn't die 30 times in 95% of their fights. Maybe I'm wrong about this but my metric is myself and I'm pretty bad.

So keep reducing it by 1. Let's say it is in fact unnoticeable at 30 lives, so when do we notice it at all? You see the problem with your extremist viewpoint? It's that it is a slow development; the change that occurs in the battle. If you want an extreme change then give 3 lives and then you'll be seeing a lot of what you are saying. But I'm saying there is a green zone of effective limit to the spawn where you can notice the difference but the health of the fight is not damaged in any way.
  13. LordKrelas

100? Christ you could've at least said that.
    With your phrasing, I was expecting bloody 15 lives. Which is nothing, given you'll easily lose 10 if there is a single tank.
    Unless you're straight making that Tank's day hell.
    Though, that's kinda the point through isn't it? If it's low enough to notice, it'll burn like hell.
    Bio-Lab fights are slogs, but that's from their Design not Lives -- Example, NC Maxes shine weeelll too hard there.

Never use Deaths, or kills, for that matter, as a yard-stick.
    It leaves out every possible act of teamwork; Score is a lot better. (Not the best, but better)
    Revives, (of others) aren't in Deaths, nor is healing, nor is assists, nor does it say what you were doing.

Which I can tell you, when playing the Objective in a live warzone, you burn through in a hurry.
    For longer battles; 100 is nothing however.
    As you fight typically in the field, then to the base itself; The battle starts at the other lattice, and then eases into it.
    Or for example, You ever fought on the left-side of Indar's Northern regions?

If you don't charge in, you never make head-way.
    It's built, or laid-out, that avoiding death, basically means that Region is Never' happening, past a straight Zerg.
    Then on Esarmir, there's Mani Fortress.

The Bio Labs are slogs, but that's a design flaw.
    K : D right now, typically makes Spawn-room snipers, as they avoid death.
    This habit, and known result, causes a good portion of those that care about death, to avoid Objectives.
    So, typically, I see "Deaths are bad", I remember the Screens that stress & "Are you kidding me" that is easy to happen.
    Respawning is expected, It is not a failure, or a sign of being bad, if you Die. We all do. Stay Calm & Respawn.

-- And of course.
    I also dabble in Sniping, Tank Operation, and front-line, to the backline.
    If death comes with the risk of lock-out, All the NC Friendly-Fire, and Alt-4th-faction BS is painful.
    and that's not counting Zergs, or vehicle Spam.

FPSK , on Connery.
    You ever seen a 96+ , with 5 Galaxies, 3 ESFs, and 3-4 Liberators spawn-Camp an entire lane?
    Or some Dick, drives a MBT into a 12v12 scale battle? It easily racks up the body count, if you actually try to play in of itself.
  14. adamts01

That's more of a Wildcards, YLB, HHCN thing. FPSK was pretty good about bringing just enough Valks full of guys to crush a fight, while keeping their pop divided. My only complaint about FPSK was their horrendous lag and a few suspicious players. I admired their coordination and tactics.
    • Up x 1
  15. LordKrelas

I had the joy, of attracting their Galaxy Drops, to their Zerg attacks; To farm the **** out said bases.
    As my outfit accidentally pissed them off, long before I was in it.

So I had Wildcards doing their usual, And then FPSK doing it on top, when I was on Connery.
    So I'll take your word for them being 'Just enough valks'
    As I only got to experience their full air zergs, or Swarms.
  16. adamts01

What outfit? I've never been special enough to draw any attention to myself.
  17. LordKrelas

Rather not.
    For obvious reasons.

Lets just say, FPSK, is really good at coordinating attacks, and sheer number control.
    To the point, I rather not have more. lol
  18. adamts01

I don't blame zergs, I blame the meta, and I argue for changes to the lattice system. Hate the game, not the player.
    • Up x 1
  19. PlanetBound

Limiting spawns? The fact it would turn people away from the game should be enough to not implement it.
    • Up x 2
  20. Ketenks

There is no reason it wouldn't gain new players.