[Vehicle] The Magrider is complete garbage

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by SpectralAndroid, Sep 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nintyuk

If you don't like the magrider then maybe vanu aint for you.
    The magrider is the most faction defining peice of kit in the game and it helps truly make the story of the game come to the forefront rather than this being 3 way battlefield.
    • Up x 1
  2. Nogrim313

ah yes that legendary mobility, of the slowest vehicle in the entire game.....
  3. Moridin6

but, if you max racer and drive sideways you gt 7 kph more!
  4. ReptilePete

Magrider is as rubbish as all the other tanks (vehicles) when Charlie McC4 visits. Which doesnt really matter in the grand scheme of things. All that matters is a spawn point (sunderer) and the God of redeployside. No need for the fanciful scenery that was meticulously(was it ?) planned for each map as you can bypass all that.
  5. Demigan

speed is mobility, mobility isn't speed. Mobility is the combination of several factors, such as speed and acceleration but also how easy you can go through different types of terrain, the ways you can move (IE strafe where the other two can't strafe, the capability of flight or hover, the ability to climb things).

The Flash for instance can have it's mobility upgraded with a chassis that improves his speed. As an alternative he can also improve his mobility with a chassis that improves the steepness of the hills it can climb. Both improve mobility.

The Magrider has much higher mobility than the other two. It has lower speed overall (not counting Magburner), it also is capable of moving over terrain the other tanks wouldn't even think about, it's capable of climbing, it's capable of strafing in any direction. It's more mobile.

Even if you do say "but speed is everything", then the Magrider beats the other two tanks in any rough terrain and lots of off-road area's.
    • Up x 1
  6. AxiomExotic

You didnt hear what i said? NOTHING BEATS AN EXPERIENCED VANGUARD CREW. It does not matter if they hit me in the back because thats the most damage they will do because if you a max reload ap and a max reload halberd shooting you, you wont survive long.
  7. Ziggurat8

Look man if you want to brawl the magrider isn't for you.

The maggie is all about finess. It's the easiest mbt to drive and shoot at the same time, hands down.

With that in mind you really have to pick your battles with the magrider. If your aim is good outside of ~300m the magrider is untouchable mbt vs mbt. Close range you gotta be smart. Terrain is your best friend. If you're caught flat out you're pretty much done for. You can try to get behind your enemy (which isn't that hard with magburn vs turrets) which can help. What you really want to do though is duck and weave around terrain between reloads which can easily give you the upper hand. You'll want to try to be unpredictable. Dont just pop out from the same spot over and over again. Move around to different sides or over the top etc.. If you're on the crest of a hill for example it's much easier for the mag to slide around the backside to come from a different spot when compared to the other 2 mbts.

It's also by far the best 1 man vehicle in the game after ESFs and here's why. The top gun always orients the same direction as you turn your tank. On turret mbts the turret is independent so the top gun could be facing opposite of the turret. Get used to popping back and forth between the 2 guns while leaving the top gun pointing straight when you're not shooting it and it's outstanding. My personal favorite right now is FPC main with PPA top. Locked so friendlies don't hop in and mess it up. Use the FPC on vehicles and to sniper infantry. Use the PPA on infantry when you miss with the FPC or to splash damage groups of enemies or infantry hiding. PPA also does good damage against MAX and harassers but 0 damage to other vehicles. Just remember to wait about 250ms before swapping seats after starting a reload and it will be full ammo when you swap back.

Our enemies will know the will of Vanu. Now show them!
  8. Demigan

The Magrider out-DPS's a shielded Vanguard from behind even with max reload on both AV weapons. A Magrider also have the maneuverability to stay behind the Vanguard once there. Therefore when a good Magrider crew attacks a Vanguard from behind, the Vanguard is dead no matter it's skill. It's a matter of DPS at that point, and the Magrider simply has enough to out-DPS the shield and Vanguard weapons.
  9. AxiomExotic

You must never have faced me then. I admit, have been killed 3 times from being surprised in the *** by a magrider. But that was when i wasnt playing at my best. Id love to see you try to take me down from behind and to your suprise see my with my maxed out rival and just spin around denying you any further *** shots. Trust me, you can ask alot of maggie drivers on cobalt who have faced me.
  10. Nogrim313

the magrider is the lowest DPS of the tanks, clearly you have it mixed up with the prowler if you think it can beat a vanguard with a shield.
  11. Devilllike

i have seen a magrider climbing mountains and flanking the enemy so easily and i keep wondering how are they garbage,maybe you are just garbage?..
  12. Demigan

How much DPS does a Magrider have against the back of a Vanguard? You have an increased damage potential because there's lower damage there, ergo the DPS is higher than before.

If only people actually read things instead of focusing on one thing and screaming "foul!" when they think they can.
    • Up x 1
  13. Nody

If memory serves a single dual gunned Magrider can't take out the Vanguard shield from any angle alone. That alone gives the VG plenty of time to make sure it's facing the right way and negate the DPS increase.
  14. JKomm

An AP/Saron Magrider has the highest DPS while maintaining mobility, accuracy, and being capable of engaging targets at all ranges. If you CANNOT beat a Vanguard you need a lot of practice. A single burst is enough for a crew to engage their shield, in which case BACK OFF. They are slower than you, they are less maneuverable than you, and they are not as aware of the situation as you. After 6 seconds, the shield drops and the ONLY advantage the Vanguard has in the game is entirely gone... you then have the higher DPS, the higher mobility, and the higher survivability.

Your problem is trying to win with pure DPS against a Vanguard, that is NOT a fault of the Magrider, that is a fault of your strategy... because while the Magrider does have greater DPS, the Vanguard has the shield. It's the only saving grace of the vehicle, without it, it would never win against any other vehicle in the game... it's too slow, and unstable. The weapons hit hard but if you touch anything other than flat ground you might not hit at all. The Enforcer is the only long range AV with projectile drop, the Mjolnir has the lowest range and most difficulty to use of all close range AV.

In short. The MBTs are each balanced... they all have their own role, trying to use them outside that leads to issues. Vanguard is a brawler, it takes the fight to you... Prowler is a turret, it makes sure you can't get close to it... Magrider is a flanker, it doesn't want it's presence known before it tears you apart.
  15. Demigan

A Vanguard can be killed in approximately 3.75 seconds from the rear by an AP+Saron Magrider (http://www.ps2calc.com/#weapon1=Magskater AP&weapon2=Saron HRB&vehicle1=Vanguard)

A shield has 2000 health, that's half of the current MBT health value. The shield takes directional damage just like the rest of the tank. The shield also lasts 6 seconds if it isn't depleted beforehand, however since the total TTK for an AP+Saron Maggie is 7,5 seconds without reload speed (http://www.ps2calc.com/#weapon1=Mag...icle1=Vanguard Shielded&vehicle1Location=rear) we know that the shield will be broken within that period.

Also, the Vanguard with maxed out crap can't defeat the Magrider. The opening fire of the uncerted Magrider is already more than 2500 damage, more than enough to cancel out the shield and win a DPS battle if it turns into hitting each other from the front. Well, doing the math it would be a near thing with an uncerted Magrider vs a fully certed Vanguard if the Vanguard moves his front towards you afterwards, but with certs it's going to win. Especially since a full Rival Chassis Vanguard still can't move fast enough to avoid a Magrider staying in it's rear if the Magrider knows what it's doing.
  16. Demigan

Or you just punch through the shield. You already punch more than 2000 health away in the first volley, the second volley takes away the shield and some health, the third volley murders the Vanguard.
  17. JKomm

In the optimum position yes, otherwise it's easier to trick your opponent into wasting their ability... 6 seconds is more than enough time for a Magrider to evade(Magburner makes that even easier). Most Vanguard crews are twitchy, they play off the same instincts of a Heavy Assault... shoot them once and they'll turn the shield on, difference being the Heavy can flick it on and off whenever they choose... kinda think they should be forced to keep it on.
  18. AxiomExotic

And while you are busy running away you come back to a vanguard that has had 6 seconds to repair un-interrupted and is now at full healtth. Your advantage is thus nullified.
  19. Daigons

It's great when you can flank like this, but you have to climb without being caught. When Magriders are creeping up the side of a mountain side is when they're most vulnerable. Easy pickings since they can no longer move fast, jinx or quickly bring about their main weapon. Basically free certs for any ESFs, Liberators, and Gals that happen to be flying by. Very easy to drop Light Assaults to C4 them since their movements are so restricted.
  20. DocteurVK

IMO, successfull Maggie runs depend a lot more from terrain / positioning and anticipation than other tanks. Caught off guard face-to face, you are pretty much toast.

Prowler has more dakka, vannie has its shield, that's why you have to abuse off-road driving and always run stealth when going for solo runs. You'll want to stay hidden as much as you can, then strike their weak spots when they are the most vulnerable and only when you know you can either keep your distance to dodge incoming fire or keep their rear facing you.

For more traditional tank runs with a vehicle column, better use frontal armor and keep a clear line of sight between your vehicles.

Also, when retreating, strafe to the sides of the column, then go backwards, your armor facing the ennemy to mitigate damage.

In 2014, we were running an armor squad with my outfit with only 12 players, 2 mags , 2 sunderers and 1 galaxy and we stood ground versus more numerous forces, but which were not as organized as we were. We were fighting in our terms and from an advantageous position, allowing to even the odds.

Dunno if we still have vids, but I'll try to look for.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.