[Vehicle] The Magrider is complete garbage

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by SpectralAndroid, Sep 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpectralAndroid

Hey all
    So i've just returned to the game and spend some certs on vehicles mainly the lightning and sundy
    but i also wanted to farm some for the magrider and while doing so i used him now and then
    and i realised that he's complete **** compared to the other MBT's in the game
    so why is he **** to me
    cannon placement very low you cant shoot over any hill while hiding your body
    overall bulky senseless shape aka easy target
    movement is total crap and its hard to aim at infantry with the main cannon (i have no problem doing so with the AP cannon on the lightning)
    his ability is a lame *** speed boost

i always compared the magrider to the hover tank in Battlefield 2142 if anyone still remembers it
    that tank was the best thing in the game
    not only could you out manouver the enemy tank which had tracks but you were also accurate the overall movement when aiming was nice and he stopped right as you stopped moving the mouse

so i just want to know if i have to upgrade this thing before its even capable of shooting down the other MBT's or if im simply doing something wrong
    • Up x 1
  2. SlugSniper

I always viewed it as more of a Tank Destroyer than anything. You can strafe left and right while keeping your strong front armor and gun facing the enemy.
    • Up x 1
  3. Liewec123

statistically maggy usually hovers around the middle performance-wise (with prowler on top and vanguard in 3rd place) :p
    maggies ability to strafe, its stabilised aiming and its lack of recoil are all massive boons,
    if you know how to use the maggies strengths then you'll be invincible.

it blows my mind when i see people QQing about magrider "underperforming" :p
    • Up x 6
  4. Moridin6

its got its perks. still wish we had a real MBT, as much as i love our heavy harasser lol
  5. Liewec123

if an equally skilled "real MBT" (vanguard) faces an equally skilled maggy (who knows his strengths) then my money is on the maggy.
    vanguard's one and only gimmick is the shield, which is easily countered simply by moving out of their LoS for a measly 6 seconds, they make themselves unattackable? so do you, remove the shield and you are simply left fighting a clunky slow target.
    maggy is a very, very capable MBT. ;)
    • Up x 5
  6. Shadowomega

More like a Overweight Harasser, it doesn't really have the speed or agility to pull a true heavy harasser off.
    Watch how often top tier Vanguard crews take on top tier Magrider crews and the Magrider gets splattered. The only reason the Mag is holding that middle ground is the skilled crews flanking and focus firing on low situation awareness and low skill players.
  7. Riksos

Magriders can get to places the other tanks can't and as well can keep their strong front armor facing the enemy during duels. They retain the best armor while being the most mobile.

The Prowler has the power of DPS

The Vanguard has the power of Armor

The Magrider has the power of Mobility
    • Up x 4
  8. The Rogue Wolf

I've seen someone literally bank a Magrider along a hillface to get around behind a Prowler. It's certainly not the easiest thing to do, but the Maggie's maneuverability rewards unorthodox thinking.

Still, I can't stand driving the thing myself.
  9. travbrad

The biggest downside of the Magrider for me has nothing to do with fighting other tanks but instead when fighting air. I find it much harder to AP Liberators and ESFs with a Magrider than with a Vanguard or Prowler because of the limited movement on the turret...and air is often the biggest threat to tanks.

I also think Magrider shines the most on Amerish where its mountain climbing ability really pays off. In an open Indar desert all it has over the other tanks is the strafing ability, which is great at long range, but you are toast if it's a close range battle (not to mention engi AV turrets/Phoenix/NC MAXs can easily track your strafing in an open area)
    • Up x 2
  10. IceMobsterrr

You can one clip lightning from behind with saron and AP. You can climb almost any surface. Strafing at non-superclose distance makes it tricky to get hit....
    • Up x 2
  11. Mirta00

Maggy is the tank that gets me the most kills!

By all means keep thinking its bad but are you sure we are talking about the same superduper hover car of the death? because it rocks.. o_O
    • Up x 3
  12. SpectralAndroid

ok so according to the replies i got i see that most of you still like it
    well maybe i just need to give it more time, or maybe i'll always hate it

but travbrads reply caught my attention

i very much so agree on this
    if the maggie had the following shape & cannon placement i think it would still be balanced yet a bit better in general
    but i know it will never happen
    [IMG]
    this is the tank i was talking about for those who dont know
    i hope its not against the rules or something to post images like these
  13. Moridin6

imho the fixed and low turret are not fair trades for its climbing/maneuverability , but i still lub 'er
  14. JKomm

The biggest downside of the Magrider is the Prowler and Vanguard are also two-seaters. In Planetside 1 they had a dedicated driver which gave the Magrider the advantage of the driver in control of the main cannon.
    • Up x 1
  15. Jake the Dog

Keep up practice and yes upgrade the tank. The magrider is probably the most rewarding tank upgraded.

On the cannon placement. fun fact, despite the apparent location of the cannon the origin point and projectile come from the center of your crosshairs. The actual energy bolt is not spot on. In fact if done right the cannon will "shoot through" terrain.

So in summary: stick with it! and if you can put your crosshairs on your target you can hit it despite if your cannon is behind terrain/cover.
  16. Shadowomega

Wrong, PS1 the Main guns was the Heavy Rail Beam the gunners weapon, the Driver weapon as an a POS machine gun that was only ever decent as a Anti Armor Machine gun. If a Vanguard or Prowler was close enough for the driver to use it, then the other tank was Close enough to never miss, and the Paper tank would be confetti in 10 seconds.

The Prowler had 3 positions Driver, Gunner Controlling the Main gun and Secondary gunner controlling a 12mm twin Chain gun.

The Vanguard had 2 positions a Driver, and a Gunner controlling the Main gun as well as Twin Chained 20mm Cannons.

Creative yes, but easy to spot for good crews and if those crews can see it they can hit it.
  17. Demigan

The Magrider is the chariot of the gods.

• It's mobility allows it to dodge shots (one or two shots and you are better off than the Vanguard)
    • It's Magburner+levitation allows you to get in terrain where no other MBT would even dream of.
    • In larger scale battles the Magrider is far less restricted in placement allowing for far more guns to be pointed in the same direction at the same time, meaning more DPS to crush your foe's with.
    • The Magrider's fixed gun has disadvantages, but the advantage of always facing your opponent with your frontal armor cannot be dismissed.
    • When going uphill, the much more frontal placement of the turret means the Magrider can look and fire over the hill faster rather than later than the other two tanks. The curved edges even help in keeping the Magrider less visible while peeking over
    • The ability to more easily flank enemy tanks from behind is an absolute godly trait.
    • Up x 3
  18. Sorato

don't bother unless you have max certed:

Racer
    Stealth
    Magburner

Supernova FPC
    -Reload Speed 5

Saron
    -Reload Speed 5

or

Aphelion
    -Magazine Size 4

also never go out without a gunner!

1/2 vs. 1/2

a stock/uncerted non-anchored Heat Prowler will out TTK a max Reload Speed AP Magrider by 2 seconds.
  19. SpectralAndroid

yeah i thought so
    so i pretty much made up my mind, ima just save up certs until the tank is no longer a pain in the *** which is still gonna take me atleast a month or so to achieve if not more
  20. AxiomExotic

As a masterful (in my own opinion and of my gunners i have asked) vanguard driver, I find the easiest tank to kill is the magrider because your silly strafe can easily be counteracted by just shooting where you are going to be and if you try to switch direction mid shot and keep doing it, i will adapt. Furthermore, trying to use your little saron ap combo on the *** of my 2/2 vanguard with maxed out reload on both weapons, ill just pop my shield and show my side to you and finish you in a matter of seconds. So please dont come on here saying how the magrider is better then any of the tanks. Even the prowler is better and that thing sucks balls. Maybe not if it is deployed on top of a mountain with ap (THAT is ******* scary yo).
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.