now that the anti terrans are gone

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by MikeyGeeMan, Feb 20, 2015.

1. FateJH

Actually, I see now. Your math is correct. Never mind me.
    • Up x 1
  2. Ballto21

Having more bullets in the mag is a massive benefit, more room for error, possibly more kills before reload, is you have to spray'n'pray which happens kind of often in all reality its usful
    Burst pistols are love, burst pistols are life
    The nc use their faction trait! Who knew?
    I think of prowlers more like the artillery that look like howitzers in Civ 5
    >Step 1. Go to an obscure open sky place with a sundy, couple engies, and 2-4 burster maxes
    >Step 2. Deploy
    >Step 3: Shoot everything.
    Yes, you said you never saw fast rof tiny bullet hoses. Meanwhile your starter weapons have the highest rof of other faction starters. Also the Lynx if you aim for the head has the best TTK of any carbine in the game.
    Clearly youve never dakkad a giant room with extended mags on an MCG before
    Every faction flys LOLpod infantry farm raids. The needler is the best performing ES AA nosegun last i checked. This isnt a bad thing, but its the king of dogfighting.
    Are you implying that since my main class is infiltrator i have never faced an infantry zerg while defending points? I have almost 900 hours in game, and i used to have a br 98 VS 96 TR and 57 NC on woodman (now miller). Varied classes on each.

Maybe if you stopped playing on easy skill crutch mode, also known as heavy assault for awhile, youd get better at the game and realize the grass is not greener VS or NC side.
  3. Ballto21

Does the vulcan use a different damage table than the enforcer/saron when considering mbt damage resistance?

Pretty sure i got the equation right, albeit a simplistic dumbed down version
  4. Ballto21

It is okay, you are forgiven. I cant be mad at you for long <3
  5. FateJH

Against basic tank directional armor, its the same. You had worked the initial rear armor resistance in by subtracting the precentage resistance, which threw me off. I'm not used to seeing it like that normally. I even broke up your analysis into different lines to understand it better and I still missed it.

In damage type modifiers, the Saron-H and Enforcer-H are "Medium Damage" which means they do 1.5x damage to tanks and the Vulcan-H is "Armor-Piercing Machine Gun" which does either 0.59 or 0.57 damage to tanks. These weren't factored into the calculations but you did say "rear of an MBT" without caring what kind.
  6. Ballto21

I was unaware that there was any modifier for AV weapons aside from tank reduction
  7. FateJH

The armor and damage resistance page on the wiki has two tables.

The first table is tank armor modifiers, all of them resistances to damage.

The second table is "damage against" modifiers (what I call "damage type modifier") and divides all weapons into categories. Some weapons are not specifically listed by name under a category, e.g., all non-Vortex MAX AV weapons are listed under Medium Anti-Armor Ordnance as "MAX AV Weapons;" but, almost all known weapons are placed or can be placed. Negative numbers mean the weapon causes more damage than normal against that target.
    • Up x 1
  8. Xind

A lot of people disagree with me, but I don't think NC MAXs should have slugs. If they're the masters of CQC, why give them the option for versatility.

ANY dual AV MAX configuration will defeat a ScatterMax, unless the scatterMax catches you completely offguard and even then you have a good shot at winning.
  9. Ballto21

Ah, i see now. So with medium AV weapons such as the enforcer/saron its 1.5*damage and on things such as the vulcan its 41% resistance?

Thats still 912.7 DPS, and 6162 DPM

Edit: Got my math wrong, its 1313.40 DPS and 8867.7 DPM
  10. Scorponok

ESF should kill infantry with ease from a distance its their purpose...and they cost resources infantry doesnt.And it also gives those that are clueless at fighting as infantry a chance to be useful at something.

And NC weapons are fine...people are just so damn salty and needs something to complain on due to their K/D not being up to their expectations.
  11. ColonelChingles

To be fair though none of the ESRLs are terribly good at AA duties.

The Phoenix is only effective against aircraft if they're staying more or less still, or flying straight at you. Essentially the same ways that the current Striker is effective against aircraft. Except that you can at least move a bit when you're using the Striker. :p

The Lancer is more effective against larger targets (Galaxies, Liberators), especially those who are close and flying in a straight line. But your chances of hitting evasively-flying aircraft is not very high either.

I think it would have been weird for the NC and VS to get their hands on an anti-ground rocket launcher while the TR received a rocket launcher that was viable against all targets. It makes sense to me that the Striker isn't supposed to be very effective against aircraft, because the Phoenix and Lancer aren't either.
  12. Izriul

Isn't Las0m Higby? Not 100% sure as I'm not a massive reddit fan.

But, his words when someone said something similar to you.

"Ehhhh, my alt is full-time NC. I've played him a lot more than the Higby character lately. ~160 hours vs ~20 hours on Higby in the last 4 months."

So, if that is him, then it's all in the quote.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/2wvdx4/yesterday_i_accidentally_tkd_higby/?sort=old
  13. MahouFairy

If it isn't supposed to be AA, then tell me, what is it supposed to be effective against? NC gets to annoy the **** out of ground vehicles while VS gets to deal serious damage to armour from a distance.

It isn't weird. It means it's a jack of all trades.

Whoever said that ESRLS were supposed to be effective only against ground -- something the Striker doesn't perform well at either?
  14. ColonelChingles

The original Striker would have been pretty effective against ground units. Even today the current Striker is decent against ground units... if the rounds all hit. But that's a caveat for all ESRLs, with the Phoenix being penalized the most for missing.

Both the Phoenix and Lancer suffer from DPS-limitors. The Phoenix because flight-time is an extra bit of time where you can't really reload, and the Lancer because you need to charge-up in order to maximize effectiveness.

Similarly the Striker suffers from a CoF mechanic, meaning that you need to wait a bit of time between firing so your next rocket will be more accurate. However it's not nearly as bad as a Phoenix missile flight time or a Lancer charge-up.

Anyhow, the Striker does 200 damage per shot with a 6 round magazine, and can unload that magazine in 2.4 seconds and then take 4.6 seconds to reload (a 7 second cycle). As a "Medium Ordnance" weapon each shot does 150% damage to all tanks, meaning it effectively does 300 damage (prior to directional resist). So in turn against tanks the Striker does 1,800 damage in 7 seconds or 257.1 DPS.

The Phoenix does 750 damage, has a 267% modifier against tanks, and has a reload speed of 5.2 seconds. Assuming a "medium" 150m range target, the Phoenix will take about 3.6 seconds to reach that target. This means the Phoenix does 2002.5 damage against a tank every 8.8 seconds or 250.3 DPS.

The Lancer does 150 damage (before 400m at level 1), has a 200% modifier on tanks, can fire its magazine of 6 in 1.8 seconds, and has a 5 second reload. Thus a spamming Lancer does 1,800 damage in 6.8 seconds, or 264.7 DPS.

You see that the DPS is actually quite similar. 257.1 to 250.3 to 264.7. In fact against medium-range targets, the Striker actually does better compared to the Phoenix. The spamming Lancer is slightly more effective, but of course the DPS is close enough where it isn't a big issue.

If the Striker was supposed to be a jack-of-all-trades weapon, then we would expect to see that it has significantly worse DPS against tanks than the Phoenix or Lancer (which according to your explanation are meant to specialize against armor at the cost of being poor against air units). But examination of AT DPS reveals that the Striker can be just as effective as the Phoenix or Lancer, so I can't agree with your conclusion.

This is why it's not right to expect the Striker to be great against air. No ESRL is supposed to, and instead they are all meant to be anti-ground weapons. It was wrong to let the Striker lock-on to air in the first place (it should have been able to be dumbfired against air targets but lock-on to ground vehicles), which is why the Striker was such a strong and popular performer when first released.
  15. Gutseen

when u are highlighted like a frign christmas tree, there is no room for error, u REKT or get REKT
    ROF means ***t if the weapon is'n accurate, yeah i can go full auto with a carv and land 60% of the mag exclusively on some ones face, but what 'bout the others? i see how a large part of TR HA are BURST firing, cuz the gun goes ape **** crzy recoil, then rolling some engy or LA & go die by G Saws or Orions in split seconds.
    then let me fire like a mine-thrower with phosphorus mines, or cassete charges that shred tanks.

point blank?
    971 kills with it, before the "update"
    That week a had a rooftop duel with a VS LA on Hossin (98 BR), that took out my resist shield and 3/5 HP bar in 2 sec while running (30-40 meters), only thing that saved me is a vent box on the roof, and my NS-15 that can land headshots beyond range any TR gun can.
    so how is it easy? against newbz and infiltrators? yeah, they die like bugs, but someone skilled? then HA shields starts to be a less of an advantage due to slow movement speed

but can u gunplay?
    *sees ur killboard*
    Meh, GIT GUT
  16. MahouFairy

I would like to know how to reload a rocket launcher while you are controlling it. The old striker can't either, by the way. The old Striker deals lots of damage, provided you got all 5 rockets out and they all hit the enemy tank. This is lost when:
    1 The tank reverses behind a rock or hill.

2 The tank doesn't shoot you while you are firing all rockets one by one.

3 No one snipes you, because the rockets are red shiny beacons.

4 The rocket doesn't hit a tree or smash into the ground.

You should know that what is stated on paper doesn't work in practice right?

What makes you think that ESRLs are NEVER supposed to be AA? The name says it all: empire specific. Meaning if the Phoenix or Lancer can't engage this particular target, it doesn't mean that the Striker can't either, and vice versa.

With the new striker, getting all 6 hits means that you'll have to be at close range in order to do it. At close range, the Decimator can perform this even better. Even the default RLs can arguably give a similar performance. At long range? You get like 3-4 hits? If you want to make every shot count and fire slowly, I'll assure you that you'll get sniped or get a tank shell in your face before you can reload.

You said "effective against ground units, if the rounds hit. Stop using that excuse because that usually doesn't happen.
  17. Hoki

Banshee is a weapon for bads. Bads stop asking for it to be reinstated.
  18. ColonelChingles

Arguably the same thing is true of the Phoenix.

You are even more vulnerable than any Striker user, because at least Striker users can move, hop, or hide. Phoenix users are stuck standing in one spot (can't even crouch) when their rocket is in flight. This makes them highly vulnerable to snipers and such, more so than Striker users.

Plus of course the Phoenix rocket itself is vulnerable to any damage at all, and a single rifleman can render the Phoenix capable of a 0 DPS. The Striker has no such downside.

Given the Phoenix single-shot, extremely slow rate of fire, whether the rocket is shot down or simply misses will decrease the DPS of the already weak Phoenix by significantly more. At least with the Striker, a single miss can be made up for another 5 hits, which maintains DPS.

At long range the Phoenix... well there isn't a long range as far as the Phoenix is concerned. It effectively has a 200-250m range, which is quite short, shorter than what a Striker can hit.

The Striker is more effective against ground targets than the Phoenix. The Striker has:
    1) Less vulnerability to the user
    2) Less penalty for missed shots
    3) Rockets that can't be shot down
    4) Longer range

And despite these advantages that the Striker holds against the Phoenix when it comes to ground targets you still want it to be much better against air targets?
  19. Demigan

But how good is it compared to lock-ons? The Striker can be fired instantly while the ESF is trying to stick it's nosecannon down your throat to give you a colonoscopy. A lock-on takes half an ammo dump on your chest before you can fire it. I think the current Striker has a ton of potential, I haven't played around with it, I intend to do so but so far haven't taken the time for it. Looking at Valkyrie teams that already used it I would say the weapon works pretty well. Fly to your target, unload 2 Strikers on them and then switch seats with the other two Heavies to finish it off. You can fight off Libs and ESF with it. 200 resources and you can go gung-ho on them with a small team, killing multiple ESF.

Alternatively, it's a better suprise weapon. A lock-on is great and all, but it just takes too long before you can start dealing the damage. By the time you fire your second missile, they are long gone. The Striker however can deal it's damage while they are still in the "what the hell is happening" fase of being hit. It won't kill them unless you get some teamwork, but is getting 3 dudes together to instakill some ESF so hard?
    Why yes it is ofcourse, because there's a whole stigma around the Striker and it's uses. And while there's a million tactics in the game, small-team tactics are way undervalued and underused in infantry combat.
  20. MahouFairy

How do you even use those Phoenixes? Because people usually stay behind cover (eg a building or a big boulder) before they shoot the freedom rockets. that is the advantage of the Phoenix. When you use the Striker, you are exposing yourself to the enemy and everyone gets to see a train of rockets forming from the user. The Phoenix also leaves a trail, but you can't do much because it originates from behind cover. The Phoenix punishes players who miss with it? Well, I don't know how you can miss with a guided rocket... So duhh? Rockets that can't be shot down? How many people actually make it a point to snipe blue rockets whenever they can? I've tried using a Walker against it, but it isn't as easy as you think. No, this isn't a significant disadvantage. Maybe range is the only advantage the Striker has over the Phoenix? But at those ranges, you can rename it to the Scratcher.