How many gigs of RAM do I need for this game? 64? 256? 4096?

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by patrykK1028, Oct 6, 2014.

1. patrykK1028

Seriously, I have 8 gigs of RAM and its not enough. How the hell is it even possible? I could launch BF3 and CoD MW3 AT THE SAME TIME and it used.. 4Gb. With PS2 I am 8000/8192 Mb after last update all the time....
  2. Crayv

The game has a massive memory leak. For me it has been this way since the Valk update.
    • Up x 2
  3. FateJH

You will need all the rams.
  4. Ixidron

For everyone else it's been like this since the beta.
    • Up x 2
  5. EGuardian1

[IMG]
    • Up x 3
  6. Leftconsin

I just upgraded to 8GB from 4GB two hours ago. It has been a night and day difference. I can actually dogfight now! Although my comparison is the difference between the 15 frames per second along with insane multisecond freezes I was getting before and the 40 FPS and no freezes I'm getting now.
  7. Slamz

I think I would have 8GB in a gaming machine just because it's 2014 and 4GB is so 2004. Ram is one of the cheaper components and is easy to add.

I have 16 GB and have experienced 0 problems. I didn't even know there was a memory leak til I saw this thread.
  8. Axehilt

16gb here. I don't get hitches. Medium graphics settings.

There are a few specific locations in the game where I get below 30 FPS, but generally things are pretty solid.

Pretty old computer at this point too, was thinking of upgrading.
  9. EGuardian1

Memory leak would take awhile to hit me - i have 24GB :D

Then again when i'm not gaming it's running VMs and Server apps so there's a reason it's that high. ^_^
  10. Alkezo

• Up x 2
  11. jampie

i got 10GB ram

with memory leaks in the 96+ (both sides) fights or some of the hosin bases only
    very few problems and everything on medium settings 50-60 fps standard lowest 30fps in large fights
  12. miraculousmouse

13. nehylen

You need 10-12Gb. I upgraded from 8 to 16Gb because of PS2.
  14. skilcox

After a break I came back and did a clean install for the October update. I stay below 4GB as far as task manager is concerned, and very well should be concerned with that matter. I'd say reinstall if you can (backup the assets folder, and put it back after the launcher is installed, but before it updates (so before you log int)) .. do a complete fresh one if that fails if you can dl how many ever GB it is
  15. NinjaTurtle

Ring Amazon and ask them to send you everything they have.

You "may" then have enough to run the game
    • Up x 2
  16. Jac70

From what I have seen the game uses about 3gb+ - add in the system requirements and background processes. I think 8gb is more than enough. I have 8gb and performance for me is very good.
  17. nehylen

I've seen the game go to more than 4Gb several times. Worse, the performance was actually worsening at around ~85% used RAM when i had 8Gb. I don't know why it penalized me before it even used all of it, but i can tell you 16Gb solved the problem.
  18. WTSherman

IIRC, currently Planetside 2 uses a 32 bit client by default so it can only utilize so much of the RAM you have. I think it's large address aware though, so at least it can use 4GB instead of 2. They briefly released a 64 bit client, then rolled it back for some reason. I think the files are still there though, so it might be possible to force it to launch as 64 bit.

Though obviously your OS and background processes need RAM too, so even if PS2 is limited to 4 you're going to want more than that to leave a little extra room.

That said, I don't know if the lag and hitching we've been experiencing lately have anything to do with RAM or not. If it does, we might be in a rather tight spot until the devs slim the usage down or re-release the 64 bit client so we can use more (though obviously the second option will only help people who have 64 bit systems and extra RAM...).
  19. Inex

Rule of thumb? Take the size of the game's install folder (in PS2's case, about 16GB). Then double that and add 4GB.

Now, if you have a serious memory leak, nothing will save you. But that will make sure that nothing the Devs do on purpose will run you out of RAM.
  20. BobSanders123