How many gigs of RAM do I need for this game? 64? 256? 4096?

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by patrykK1028, Oct 6, 2014.

1. Yuukikun

[IMG]
    • Up x 8
  2. TheKhopesh

4 terabytes of ram seems a bit excessive for...
    Well, anything.
    :p
  3. HLM

I recently upgraded from 8GB to 16GB. I did not see any difference in performance (though I would not expect to), but I do know that PS2 would eat up just about every last bit of that 8GB before, so it's no wonder everyone's crashing all the time.

I have not yet been able to experience the hitches everyone's talking about because (see signature.)
  4. LibertyRevolution

I don't understand how the minimum system requirements can be 4GB of ram when the game can eat more than 4GB by itself.
  5. Leftconsin

I know right? I'm so glad Im now running 8.
  6. Uberclocked

This is amazing! I followed his instructions, took out all my ram, and just started downloading nonstop! My computer now runs PS2 at 0 fps (actually, my computer won't even turn on it's so fast!:eek:) compared to the higby 60+ fps I was getting before! And this is with 3x 4K monitors on a DOS box from 1985! Amazing doesn't even begin to describe what dowloadmoreram does!
  7. Xasapis

I would hope that modern games would use all the RAM my computer has and not just what a "modern" console has.
  8. Zotamedu

They use a 64-bit installer if they detect a 64-bit OS. So most players should run a 64-bit build by now.

It's been awhile since I tested RAM usage but it took 2.5 GB by just starting the client. That was on the map screen.

Anyway, 16 GB should be standard by now for a decent computer.
  9. NCmagnetarN7

MSI Afterburner is saying i use between 4.5-5.9 gig,is that too much then? .i have 8 gig total and i use razer game booster to shut down background stuff.
  10. Atis

Why did you post PS2 forum screenshot? Am I missing some joke?
  11. Atis

I can spare only one
    [IMG]
    • Up x 1
  12. Metcal

For added perspective according to Norton Insight for me to run PS2 (64bit) I use:
    3.1GB Ram
    21% CPU

Specs
    Win7 Home 64bit
    i7-2600 CPU
    10GB Ram
    nVidia 650TI 2GB
  13. Aldaris

I had 6GB since the game came out. It ran good. I recently did a CPU+ motherboard upgrade which came with 8 GB sticks. The game still runs good.

Anyone thinking they need 16GB to game with makes me laugh.
  14. Stormsinger

You shall require One billion eight hundred and fifty million nine hundred thousand and fifty eight rams.

Barring that, 8 gig should be fine. Windows resources take up a significant portion of that, and if you have a browser up with more then a few tabs, memory leaks are a concern for those as well. I've found certain chrome tabs eating 6gb of ram after being left up for even a few hours (MASSIVE memory leak, so this is an extreme example.) Netflix / youtube are good examples as well - running windows 7 / PS2 / chrome with a few tabs up, it's very easy to go over 8gb, at which point you start in on your pagefile (basically using your hard drive for extra memory, which is slow as heck.)

16gb is a good number, you can get a few sticks of basic gaming DDR3 for ~$150

Need? No, but it lets you do other stuff alongside it, with plenty of room to spare. I routinely use 10gb of memory with 100-200 tabs up, occasionally a movie / netflix, etc, and still have headroom enough that memory leaks rarely interrupt activities.

There's software out there that allows for the loading of an entire game into memory (I used this tactic in SWTOR - had 32gb, couple sticks went bad, never bothered to replace em.) Loading entire areas in under a second, while maintaining 110+ FPS is fun, and this was on a $1600 rig in a game with an engine roughly as optimized as PS2's is.
  15. patrykK1028

Pff
    [IMG]
  16. Diilicious

17. Pickleman44

I have 16 gigs of ram and run the game at a constant 60 fps
  18. sindz

Modest setup here

8gb
    i5 2500@4,5ghz
    280x

i can go around 50-60 and drop to 40 in massive massive fights with all on ultra (shadows on medium).
  19. SerasVic

Yesterday Planetside was taking 9 gb of memory ALONE (hopefully i have 16)
    • Up x 1
  20. Aldaris

And I can assure you, you're rare in that regard. Most people get 16GB because more = better, despite the fact that purely for gaming it is not required nor improves performance.