With the stabilization buff, the Prowler and Vanguard will be able to strafe 3x faster than the Mag

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Ztiller, Jun 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moridin6

Good lord guys...

whatever you want to call it, Magriders moving Side to Side while shooting is one of our Few, and not a very big one, advantages.
    if we get a boost too, then great. otherwise we're taking a hit, theres no other way to look at it
  2. Masterofm

Hello good sir! I'm here to educate you on the fact that NC and TR can't strafe. Strafing means being able to move left to right. What you are mentioning is forwards and backwards which isn't strafing. Which means if the TR or NC "strafe" they will always have to show their side armor instead of the VS mag which can actually strafe while showing it's front armor. Strafing is in the TR and NC impossible.

It doesn't mean that the mag might need some love'in after the patch (more mag burn for instance) but the idea that this is different is a bit silly. Also you may want to realize that they might allow the mag to have the same speed forward backward or even side to side. In which case the mag will still be fairly good at what it can do.
    • Up x 1
  3. DeathFX

My point exactly. In fact, I will be the one behaving better out of it.

@ WolfA4, I apologize for the argument we had, and I respect your opinion. If you don't think that Rival Chassis paired with increased stability for other tanks is a problem, please feel free no to think so. As for myself and others, we do think differently. Opinion is made to be different for different people.

Once more, I do apologize for the personal remarks I have made about yourself and I can assure you that it won't happen once more. Best Regards,

DeathFX.

EDIT:

@ Masterofm : The problem is not if the ability to move side to side is called strafing or not. The problem is that magrider side-to-side moving, currently, is much slower than moving forwards in any other MBT. With stabilization, any MBT will be able to move to the enemy's side and fire at the same time, with a much higher speed than the Magrider.

While I do hope there is some buffs going to be done to the Magrider to compensate for this, as far as I'm aware, there have not been any notice of such changes from the administration.
    • Up x 2
  4. MonnyMoony

Effectively it is (semantic arguments aside). Whether your weapon is facing forward and you move sideways or your weapon is facing sideways and you move forwards/backwards - the effect is for all intents and purposes identical.

Your movement in both cases is perpendicular to your direction of fire........
    • Up x 3
  5. DeathFX

This is EXACTLY why I called this circle strafing at first. The effect is quite similar while having one minor detail off, that detail being weaker side armors. It is minor because:

A. Forwards motion is much faster than magrider strafe motion, and as we all know, the faster a target moves, the harder it is to hit.
    B. Side armor can remedy, to this issue.
    • Up x 1
  6. MonnyMoony

Which for practical purposes makes little to no difference.

The Magrider's stock front armour resistance is 63% - which is the same as the Prowlers side armour resistance and actually 2% lower than the Vanguards.

A Magrider facing the side of a Vanguard or Prowler gains no advantage in terms of armour.

http://planetside.wikia.com/wiki/Vehicle_armor_and_damage_resistance
    • Up x 2
  7. TriumphantJelly

Bravo DeathFX... Bravo...

*Sniffle*
  8. WolfA4

Driving forward and backwards is not lateral movement. Reinforced side armor increases the amount of shots to kill by 1.
  9. WolfA4

You are implying it by saying turning and driving forward is akin to strafing. Are you not trying to draw comparisons between turning and driving forward to strafing?
  10. WolfA4

Effectively it is not since all tanks have weaker side armor than forward armor typically every tank would prefer to show it's front armor to an enemy. Even if my side armor is as strong as your front armor I'm still going to prefer to face you and present only my front armor than my side to increase the likelihood of my victory.
  11. Flag

2. Not 1.

And it is lateral in relation to the -gun angle-.

A vanguard with reinforced side armour has 75% reduction.
    The same tank with reinforced front has 73% reduction.

So no, the side can be stronger than the front.
    • Up x 1
  12. MonnyMoony

Weaker than what though. As I have already pointed out - the Magrider's front armour is, at best, equal to the other MBTs side armour......so in a straight one on one fight - the Magrider gains no overall advantage (and is still disadvantaged by its lower DPS main gun).

Unless they buff the Magrider's sideways speed - the Mag will actually straf slower than the other MBTs.
    • Up x 1
  13. DeathFX

It is a very similar concept, because either way you're moving to the enemy side while your camera points at the enemy. And no, never once have I implied that rival chassis turns instantly. Not. Once. I don't know where you got this idea from.

Either way, could we please, for the love of god, get back to the topic? It really doesn't matters how lateral movement is called in the current issue.
  14. MonnyMoony

Exactly.

The easiest way to visualise it is like this. Imagine two tanks that had nothing to identify directionality (i.e. you couldn't tell what was the front side or back of the tank)........spheres if you will.

Now put gun pointing forward on one tank - and a gun pointing sideways on the other.

Externally these two tanks would look identical (a sphere with a gun sticking out) - and you would not be able to tell the tank that was moving forwards and shooting sidewards from the one moving sideways and shooting forwards.

From an external observers point of view - the effect would be the same - movement perpendicular to the direction of fire.
    • Up x 1
  15. WolfA4

Actually you are right about the resistances, I forgot that side armor increases it by 10% rather than 5%. Regardless, it's still not strafing. Turning sideways and driving forward is still going to take time to actually initiate, and more importantly expose the weaker parts of your tank. Finally, has anyone actually tried to circle strafe in a tank that isn't the Magrider, other than turning your butt to your enemy I couldn't think of an easier way to get yourself killed.
  16. WolfA4

So you aren't implying that turning and driving in a circle around another tank is akin to strafing? Because if you aren't then your first post makes no sense.

Go back and reread what I said.
  17. Masterofm

Hello good sir! Please remember to actually look at the armor values before stating something as fact! Even the link you gave me shows a difference because guess what? The Prowlers front armor is the same as the mags (both have 63%) but if you actually looked at the prowlers side armor it is rocking 58% not 63%. And while it does say vanguards have 68% and 65% respectively they are well.... vanguards with the I win shield and all sorts of other goodies. But please don't say that the prowlers side armor is the same as the mags front armor because that is actually a bold faced lie and spreading disinformation.

So do they have an advantage mag front v. prowler/vanguard side? You do get to do more damage and you do actually have a nice lead over the prowler..... which is probably why the mags most effective tactic against a prowler is, while facing forward, to actually and literally strafe around the prowler and hit either side or rear armor to destroy it. Vanguards are another matter all together because.... well.... they are freekin' vanguards.

My whole thing is what if mags move as fast forward backward or side to side? Using incomplete information on the patches seems like there could be more clarification from the devs.
  18. ohknoh

Lol, typical. Someone attempts to derail a thread that they don't agree with to keep anything constructive from developing, and maybe even get the thread locked/ deleted.

So the prowler and the vanguard don't actually strafe. They can however turn their turret towards their enemy while moving in any direction they chose, and can accelerate to full speed in that direction. The magrider can strafe very slowly to the left or right. Yes it can move any direction it wants to, but in order to shoot it has to be facing it's enemy, and moving in any direction other than forward is very very slow. The mag can't even shoot behind itself. ANy good pilot will know to shoot the center of the magrider, that way it's strafing is useless.
    • Up x 1
  19. DeathFX

Doesn't matters if it's called strafing or not. Also, as you said, other tanks don't circle strafe, so no, nobody tried. :p (Gotcha with your own argument there.)

Aside from that, it's quite easy to circle a tank in a 1vs1 situation, assuming you're not in melee range but at close range. As stated before, it does get you killed every now and then, but it does gets the enemy killed as well. Circle strafing in a magrider, however, is not as useful. It's way too slow to justify circle strafing as a viable method of escaping shots while firing.
    • Up x 1
  20. Flag

It really doesn't matter what you call it.
    And it's not like it's an instant change of direction for the mag. That too has inertia and has to deal with acceleration.
    • Up x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.