Upcoming Tank and Liberator Changes

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Kevmo, Jun 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vanu123

It would need a huge speed buff of around 15-20 kph to be even close to viable.
    • Up x 1
  2. Paragon Exile

VANU WEAPONS AND VEHICLES ARE EASY MODE, DON'T YOU KNOW?

NERF THE BEAMER.
    • Up x 1
  3. Divinorium

Nope, at least nope at first.
    Apparently ppl aren't giving enough credit to the changes tha will be made.

IF these changes happen

Magrider will be hit. But the biggest punch will not be from turret stabilization.

It will com fron the reversal speed buff.

Why? The turret stabilization doesn't help the vanguard/prowler as much as you think. At least under the "rules" we use today. All the "keep the front of your tank to the enemy"

Both in theory can only go forward and backwards. The fact that it now can shoot and move doesn't mean much in most of the cases, the shoot that would hit the vanguard/prowler will still hit, that's when we approach the new tank combat that we used to have.

But what WILL make a difference, and IMO will reshape the armored combat, is the reversal speed + lower shell speed.

In theory now you can dodge incoming shells easily AND shoot in the meantime.

I don't know what numbers we are talking about. But it could be a nerf for the magrider or no nerf at all.
    Forward speed on vanguard> strafe speed on magrider by a huge margin.
    But while in theory eveyone can now dodge shells, they would also have slower projectiles. Meaning it would also be harder to hit the magrider and they would still to give the side to the magrider if they want a chance to dodge incoming shells.

I think it's a overall horrible change.
    But in general i don't think magrider will get the short end. Well actually they will because the short end will be for all tank drivers.

PS: That's why SOE always fail to make good balance passes.
    "Hey we are going to nerf X and buff Y" isn't how balance thread is made.

Balance thread are made with:
    "We increased X m/s by 5 and reduced Y by 10 m/s.
    With that we expect to X Be able to dodge stuff but it will force it to come closer of the battle.
    It's on the test server till sunday, we need your feedback."

But apparently their test server is made to be used in community made events...(not that is a bad thing but that shouldn't be it's primary use.)

PS2: Just to point something else in the tank combat thing.
    Remember to use the new reversal speed and turret stabilization at it's full potential. The Prowler would give up on it's anchored mode. And the vanguard would give on it's bonust frontal armor.

The Prowler is overall faster so it should get a bigger and a shorter side frame so it would have a bigger benefit from giving it's side and trying to dodge.

Meanwhile magrider wins the nerf in the enemies speed, i don't think SOE is stupid enough to nerf magrider speed in the same scale as the other 2, so they kinda of don't win or lose. The price of the others getting turret stabilization is payed by the speed nerf. And the ability to try to dodge enemy fire is payed by the enemy having to expose it's side.

PS3: And to say again: these changes still don't solve the biggest problem of C4. In the hands of LA that doesn't even show in the scout radar.
    Unless SOE wants us to go rodeo around the base shelling the infantry inside it.
  4. MarkAntony

I liked all changes right until the end.
    **** this. The range of tanks is low as it is. it needs an INCREASE not a decrease.
    • Up x 1
  5. vanu123

Of course I mean thats why there is only 1 server where the VS have majority pop and why the VS are the least played faction because no one wants an easy game.
  6. RHINO_Mk.II

Feedback from a tank, liberator, and anti-vehicle weapons enthusiast:

> Increased reverse speed/acceleration
    Rival chassis needs to be reworked and certs refunded. I honestly don't like the idea of reversing at full speed. Perhaps give all tanks rival reverse speed by default and make a new chassis "mobility" that increases rotation speed and movement speed while turning (where acceleration currently drops to 0 due to the tread turning model)

> Turret stabilization
    Yes. Don't set the tolerance too high, though. Going over a bump is one thing, trying to drive off a boulder and shoot straight is another.

> Velocity decreases
    Bleh. Honestly this is a terrible idea IMO. If changes do get pushed through despite the outcry, two things should happen. First, decrease the effective range on AV phalanxes. Second, add a fourth ammo type "streamlined" or something with high velocity, low drop, but slightly lower DPS. Little to no explosive radius, only intended for long range AV, not AI spamming.

> Lib nerf against tank shells
    Good. I get really, really disappointed when I hit a lib travelling at 150 kph and corkscrewing twice in a row at 200+m with AP Titan and it doesn't even start smoking. Also, decimators gonna decimate.

> Lib ammo nerf
    Base ammo should remain the same as before, as they are barely sufficient for new players. Amount per level can be decreased, however.

> Bulldog nerf
    Reducing the velocity will crush its A2A without making it crap-tier at A2G which is its intended role. Are these changes going live on Gal version also?

> Tankbuster nerf
    Very sad news. Only blows up tanks if you sneak up behind them, which shouldn't be possible with the engine volume increase. It was without a doubt the best nose weapon, but only because the other ones are garbage tier.

> Duster buff
    Can't comment. Haven't used.

> RAWKIT PAWDS nerf
    Good. No more anti-everything gun on the most mobile vehicle in the game.

> Airhammer nerf
    This weapon does indeed have very high theoretical DPS. And that's because you need to be within spitting distance to use it. You talk a lot about risk vs. reward. Right now AH is high risk (die to dumbfires vs infantry, die to cannons vs tanks, die to dalton or shredder vs libs, and cant even catch other ESFs to use it against) but also high reward. Don't nerf the reward without also reducing the risk.
    • Up x 1
  7. Paragon Exile

Gamers using OP weapons and factions? Not on my internet mister!

It's almost like the Vanu are UP, and everyone avoids playing as them because the NC and TR are superior. We know better though.

You know what would attract more players to the VS? A series of heavy nerfs to our MBT and faction traits.
    • Up x 5
  8. Stroff

Stuff like the resistance nerf against rockets and tank shells so Libs can't farm spawn rooms so easily are well deserved and great. Stuff like reducing the belly gun projectile velocity because some people who have no interest in learning to fly complained about getting Daltoned by people who put a lot of practice into it are complete and utter BS.
    • Up x 9
  9. MisterTwister22

Please... Don't talk about the harasser. Leave it alone already.
  10. Jalek

Reverse the resistance buffs, then nerf everything else. Awesome plan, not overkill at all.
    This is why SOE is so highly respected by former players ;)
    • Up x 11
  11. vanu123

Of course, they did set the example with our MAX. I mean the reasoning was "To many people are using them" not to mention our old 1 shot 1 kill saron was taken away because "It was to similar to the halberd" Oh we have faction traits? Because we have bullet drop on our shotguns, BA, etc. heck our tank has by far the most drop and its drop is going to get even worse. To make it fair it may go 10 ft at the most, but that might be a bit to much, we dont want it to be "OP" now do we.
  12. Xhaleon

I don't think tank cannon velocities should get any lower, they're painfully slow as it is. If tanks are going to be able to keep moving at speed and the projectiles get any slower, we might as well start hitting other tanks with a sword.
    • Up x 6
  13. Sixstring

All of this BS and nothing that is actually going to help,Liberators need to be durable vs ground they just shouldn't be able to flip on their backs to kill ESF's. MBT's should be more durable than Liberators and if you are reducing the effective range of tanks shouldn't you reduce the lock-on range of G2G launchers and tone down or remove C4 completely? This is coming from someone who plays 75% infantry but even I would say this is seriously becoming infantryside 2 with no reason to pull vehicles because you'll only be at a disadvantage against fields and bases full of enemy infantry who can kill you much more effectively and efficiently than you can attack them in your big,dumb,20 ton futuristic vehicle.
  14. MarkAntony

This is a bad change. Tank ranges are already in credibly low. Tank gun velocities should be increased no decreased. And here is why:

You are making tank turrets stabilized. This means that tanks will be moving. This means that even at the current "high" (they are actually already pitifully slow) tank gun velocities it will be near impossible to hit moving targets at range. Especially once people figure out that tanks are supposed to zig-zag (like IRL)

You are doing something that has been negatively affecting this game for a long time. You are doing multiple changes that have the same effect. You are not using one thing to nerf tank effectiveness at range but two. (increasing mobility of the enemy and decreasing velocities of the guns)

Like I said. If anything the velocities need to be increased. I know this will never happen but if I was in charge they would be doubled or even tripled. Especially the AT guns.

I beg you to consider this. I like tanking. And the other changes are great. I just fear that this will ruin it for me as it continues the trend from my playstyle which is depending on good positioning to a more run and gun style gameplay.
    • Up x 3
  15. vanu123

If you want us more involved in the battle then take down the walls keeping us out of them instead.
    • Up x 4
  16. vanu123

can someone give me a single advantage the magrider would have left? Just one.
    • Up x 1
  17. Stroff

I never played Diablo, but I firmly believe that the Necromancer class needs a nerf.
    • Up x 5
  18. CHDT65

I just saw this thread.

Looking at this:

++++++++++++++++++
    • Tank effective ranges are being reduced. This consists of adding gravity and slowing down projectiles.
      • This should encourage tanks to get closer to the targets they intend to fight.
    ++++++++++++++++++
    Ridiculous, frankly ridiculous.
    What a "buff", making the tanks we have in the game even less "tanks".
    Ah, it will be really interesting those future stupid tank fights at close distances, without any real tactical approaches possible!
    Disgusted !
    • Up x 2
  19. Paragon Exile

Dude, you're crazy.

SOE has clearly given the Vanu the long end of the stick; all our stuff is so OP, no bad weapons at all, no redundancies, our ES guns are the best etc...

Seriously, all I do as a Vanu is spam the Lasher in doorways (racking up all the kills with the incredible damage) and the Phaseshift (Best sniper, hands down. Infinite ammo = infinite power). Sometimes I pull out the unbelievably powerful Cerberus pistol and 2sk those TR scrubs using their Emperor and the NC baddies using the Rebel.

PPA sucks though, Higby plz buff.
    • Up x 1
  20. Sagabyte

Good:
    -Definition of cannon roles. I like the idea that the underbelly cannons all act in one certain way. The Dalton is the AP cannon, the Zepher is the HEAT, the Duster is the HE, and the Shredder is the default all-purpose weapon. Doesn't that make too much sense?
    -Nosegun diversity. Finally I can get killed by SOMETHING other than the TB.
    -Tank speed. Hopefully the speed will work to the advantage of tanks, but not make them OP.
    Bad:
    -Velocity nerfs. I can see that it was needed, but the velocity changes aren't really the way to go for defining range roles.
    Ugly:
    -AirHammer nerf. WHY??? The AirHammer needs AI strength to work well. OUTRIGHT NERFING THE STATISTICS WILL KILL THE CANNON. NO.
    • Up x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.