Fix the Railjack now!

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Vanon, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Chubrokoli

How about a charge up so you can choose if you wanna shoot or not.(Like the Javelin of Mass Effect 3)
    • Up x 1
  2. Baccano

I have been testing some numbers but if the delay it to be kept and the velocity is unchanged...

(if you did change it the numbers I came up with was 1200m/s in order for it to have time on target better by 2 hundredths of a second over the Longshot at 300m while still making it worse than the other rifles sub 200m thus keeping it a Long Range rifle but I'm pretty sure that if any person saw that as the velocity they would freak out so bad that getting them to do the math would be next to impossible! Not Advocating this, just an exercise in maths =^.^= )

Perhaps a change to it's chamber time, or reload speed, or mag size, or ammo capacity (or odd combinations of those 4 stats?) might make the RailJack worth it without having to change too much.

Anyone else have any minor tweak Ideas?
  3. Vanon

Here is what i would do.....

- Remove the delay, add a charge up mechanic .25 charge time, and ability to hold the charge for 1.5 seconds
    OR
    - Remove the delay and give it dynamic velocity (so at 200m it's 600 velocity, at 300 it's 800 velocity) and lower the damage by 50
    OR
    - Keep the delay, and buff the chamber time considerably (40-50% faster), give it a 6 round clip and increase the reload by 1 second.
    OR
    - Keep the delay, buff the damage to 850 and give it light armor pen like the canister (only increases damage against ESF/MAX/Harassers)
    OR
    Remove the delay entirely, lower the damage by 50, and just be done with it.
  4. Baccano

Choice one would be interesting but I think you would still need to give a buff somewhere else, holding your shot for 1.5 seconds is not something I think a lot of snipers would choose to do or any variation of the time due to the fact that's you're uncloaked and ADSed while doing it (the less exposure time to enemy fire the better =p ).

Choice two is nice and would be very interesting to see if they could code dynamic velocity changes like that

Choice three seems cool as well as long as they set the balance right

Choice four seems like it might cause the other empires to complain about the dmg and anti-max ability (although we do see more TR and VS maxes in the open than we do NC)

The last choice would be interesting to try as well but I think some people have already expressed concern that 200 extra m/s velocity is something they consider OP even if the drop pattern has already been made similar to the Tier 3 Bolt Actions.

Good to see the ideas flowing!

- SideWinder
  5. Chazt

Even in the scenario you have properly learned when the delay is it is still bad. From the moment you click to the time the target is dead the longshot deliver quick expected results without having to try to predict a second delay into the mix. By the time the railjack fires the longshots bullet has either hit the target is about to.

You want my suggestion? Remove the delay and make it so the weapon has a long chamber time between shots. This will make it a true sniper weapon for people who hit the head and will punish people who don't while creating a time gap between one possible kill and the next. Make it into a precise and powerful weapon for those who can hit someone in the head. For those that can't then they would be better off using another rifle, and for those who want to be able to do quick follow up shots or switch targets immediately it won't be better either which insures people using other rifles will still have their place.

Except we have no indicator of when it will fire, or way of holding the shot till its ready, it still has bullet drop and travel time.

Even when it comes to killing stationary targets, the only thing our rifle is currently good for, the VS rifle is better in that sense because it literally has 0 bullet drop no matter the distance.
  6. space laces

am i the only one that feel a kind of shake when you press the trigger and before the projectile goes? making your aim moving a little, mostly resulting on missed shots or body shots only, why did they add that? i really feel that my character gets parkinson...
  7. Silvermyst

Might it be your mouse moving slightly from you pressing the fire button?

Or possibly you're letting go/running out of breath prematurely?
  8. space laces

nope, i tryed again in the VR, i set the fire button to a keyboard key ( so no moving mouse ), pressed shift and shot sveral times, i can feel it, and i saw in other posts here that i am not the only one who noticed it. when you press the fire key ( and when you IG character pull the trigger in the game ) there is very brief upper offset and the gun just nearly immediately offset down to the original ( i guess ) place when the projectile goes, it distrurbs me a lot personnally
  9. Kliede

I got used to the RailJack. I'm over 3,000 kills as of a few days ago. The only thing I dislike about the gun is the simple fact that my sniping skills on ALL other BASR's has been negated. When I pull out the Long Shot or switch to another faction, I find the gun seems to fire before I even press the button. The shot delay, when one gets used to it, is compensated for via neural mechanic that is actually well defined. Meaning there is no delay anymore. However, this compensation goes both ways, hence why I feel the other BASR fire before I tell it to. All in all, I cannot switch factions or weapons any longer, however I now have an edge over those few snipers with skill enough to come close to besting me. This leads to an issue though, because I am now so specialized on this one weapon that if they change it, I doubt I'd be spending the time to relearn something over again. These kind of things need to be well defined before forced beta testing on the player-base in the name of making 7$ on another weapon. I understand the PS2 Dev team is probably not responsible, the money making decisions usually come from the people that lack the passion to develop a game like this. So after all that, I'd still opt for removing shot delay just so the next guy is not thrown in a tunnel like me.
  10. Vaphell

just as i predicted - a huge opportunity cost (you need to unlearn everything you learned about 4 other BASRs during hundreds of hours of sniping to use this one specific weapon effectively) and what you get in return is utility sorta kinda matching tier3, maybe. I knew it's going to happen after making a dozen shots and feeling like a child in the fog despite having auraxiums on 4 BASRs and 2 SASRs.
    I bet it also affects SASRs and semi-scouts to a degree.
  11. iller

My outfit's Co-leader is about to be the 3rd (or 4th, only time will tell) person on Connery to Auraxium it.
    I hope to get learn some interesting insights once they do.

Meanwhile my own attempts at getting any meaningful number of kills with it hasn't been nearly as fruitful. I don't know if it's just b/c I lack the split second visualizing skills that better snipers have, or b/c I just can't seem to find enough "farms" .... I keep telling myself it's not for lack of twitch since I can and DO get headshots on moving targets, Maybe I'm not playing enough, Maybe my 100+ms ping along with 20fps framerate in big open range fights is too far beyond salvageable. Maybe I'm getting distracted too often and switching loadouts too hastily just b/c some doofus with an SMG or Rocketpods started pissing me off. Maybe it's b/c I'm running a 10x scope and he's running the closest range he can put on his. I don't know. I just get a really strong feeling that if I was using the longshot instead, I'd have twice as many by now (but then everyone in my outfit I'm trying to keep up with, would have 4x as many.... sheesh).

Either way, It's really sucking all the fun out of sniping and I'm stopping as soon as I hit 500. **** this thing. Tired of waiting for SOE to respond. We already know what we'll see.... anyone can look at the performance averages on D.A. right now and see how terrible it is: Still only 180 "active" users globally, and half of them clearly only bought it for the "spiffy" Aesthetic/Model b/c when you look at actual kills, the list of folks with more than 200 kills is really short (~300, lol). Exact same HSR as phaseshyte, LOWER KPH somehow (hahaha wut), only slightly better KDR and that's cold comfort at this pont (mine's almost double that... but that doesn't make it "fun").
  12. Flash Hardwood

New player, merely gold on the Railjack... So feel free to flame.

I notice that I can consistently hit moving targets when I shoot properly - ie I continue to move the rifle after I pull the trigger (which you do in real life). From watching videos it seems that games have taught us to lead the target, pull the trigger and stop tracking. So, be smooth and keep tracking! This obviously doesn't help much if someone zig-zags and you're not quick enough to react. But, I doubt that I would make those shots with my bolt driver either (or the long shot that I don't use).

Suggestion - give it a small buff: auto-decloak that coincides with the charge up. Pull trigger, 0.125 seconds later you auto decloak and the weapon discharges. This would slightly decrease the amount of time that you are visible, giving the rifle a nice advantage if you can train yourself to overcome the charge up delay.
  13. AdamRah

YOU HAVE ONE BAD GUN? STOP COMPLAINING TR HAVE AN ENTIRE ARSENAL MISSING xD
  14. space laces

well, this is kind of akward... 2 days ago i had the ****TIEST snipe session of all my PS2 gaming experience with the RJ, continuous TR flow from spawn to point @ coramed labs for nearly 2 hours, but could'nt even bodyshot them.... and i don't know what happened, i sort of... "integrated" the fail during the night, the next day, i just hammered any moving ( or not ) target with the railjack, today wasn't as good but it is okay, so if ppl really want to play this weapon, with lots of efforts i guess they can... anyway the shake before the shot still bother me a little.
  15. Skeith

adding a charge up mechanic would not happen, that's the phaseshift trademark and i dont think that would change

imo the time between shots needs to be increased if you want to remove the delay or maybe make the gun fire only when your stationary

promoting the railjack as a better sniper rifle if you want to carefully take your shots instead of slaughtering an entire platoon.
  16. Taemien

I say leave it as is. I like the slight delay and have gotten used to it. Changing it now would screw up the time and practice I have with it. If you don't like it, go back to the Longshot. Its not a Longshot, it shouldn't be like a Longshot.

If you want to fix sniper rifles, fix how the Longshot is an upgraded LA80 which is an upgraded Bolt Driver. Yeah they have different reload times and chamber times, but the only people I know that prefer to use the Bolt Driver are those who can't afford LA80s or Longshots. And those who use LA80s (like i used to do), are ones who have Alpha Squad and started with it and didn't feel the need to pay 1000cts or 700sc for the Longshot.

Make those 3 sniper rifiles more unique, then we can talk about the Railjack. Newer snipers tend to like the Railjack. Older snipers have the LA80/Longshot available. If they don't like the RJ, they can simply switch back. No problem. As for 'wasted' certs... nothing is wasted with a VR available.
  17. Ripshaft

Ok, I'm doing a little test, without looking at this thread I will summarize all 7 pages with extreme accuracy;

All 7 pages of posts fall into two groups, at least 90% is accurately summarized by:

"I HAVE NO COMPREHENSION OF GAME MECHANICS AND I HAVE NO DESIRE TO LEARN YET I SHALL COMMENT WITH ANGRY DISTASTE REGARDLESS AND IF YOU CRITICIZE ME YOU ARE A *******"

And under 10% is accurately summarized with:

"You [other guys] are idiots..."

There is of course the approx 3% random/troll factor as always - but this barely needs mentioning I'd think.

Anyways, just like to mention that I do not in fact have psychic powers, despite my no doubt amazingly accurate prediction. I also predict that this thread will go nowhere with not a soul learning or growing from their experience (aside from the potential 3% random factor)
  18. Mathgeekjoe

I really don't understand why people think that the new weapon should be better than the old one. If you are use to the Longshot user for a long time and the delay eats at your soul then you don't have to use it. The rail gun isn't there to replace the longshot. Just because the 850 mps sniper rifle doesn't out pace a 650mps longshot projectile that gets to shoot .2 seconds earlier doesn't means it is worthless. The 850 mps is there to make it the best sniper rifle for moving targets, not for reaching the target earlier. The .2 second delay messes up people who don't hold breath or didn't hold breath at the right time. People who train with the rail jack will automatically get use to the .2 seconds till they don't notice its there and thus feel like other sniper shoot before they push the button. If you don't want to train with the rail jack then you don't have to. For the sake of sanity, it is not there to for expert snipers to all give up their snipers for it, some will like the rail jack and some will hate it.

Overall the rail jack may be a little to powerful when in the hands of someone who mastered the delay. No reason to nerf the rail jack or buff it as of now. It is possible that if we get too many expert rail jack users then it will be nerfed but that would be a long time from now.

As of now, all we got is the NC complaining about having something powerful. I hear NC complain about their NC max ability blocking 90% of their front and they want 100% and explosive protection as well. I hear them complain about the VG being under powered against infantry, and that their VG shield has too long of a recharge. I really don't understand why they complain so much. Did they get an ability that makes them a sitting duck, did they get a sniper rifle that is really a scout rifle and a bad scout rifle at that, did their ESRL get a nerf that made it need to hold a lock at 299 meters for 3 seconds longer than the old one needed.
  19. Snoozzzer

I'm buying it next after my next installment of monthly member station cash. Kinda looking forward to the ability to correct my mouseclicks throwing off the aim ever so slightly
  20. Vaphell

It should be better at something to justify its existence. It isn't, its drawbacks are significant, advantages are questionable if they exist at all, which is doubtful.

Oh please. We don't give a **** about yet another, FIFTH bolt action sniper rifle.
    What playstyle does this toy open? None that wasn't opened for tier3 rifles already. Other factions got flexibility, NC got an overspecialization that goes off the charts. Also getting used to delay is not free, it comes at the expense of other weapons. Take the significant opportunity cost into account and it stops looking so pretty.

btw, the NC ESRL is a "be a sniper bait for N seconds with a max range of 290m" weapon since forever so no sympathy here.