Longshot vs. Railjack: Some Numbers

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Planetdoge, Feb 27, 2014.

1. DevDevBooday

Yes it has downsides to the Longshot, that does make it a downgrade.... as long as you ignore its strengths.
    It has a massive shot velocity and massive damage over the Longshot.
    So it has upsides AND downsides to the Longshot, this is known as a sidegrade.

Plus yes, it is probably the most badass weapon in the game ;)
  2. minhalexus

Do you even have any experience with it?
  3. DevDevBooday

None outside VR, but does this make its stats irrelevant?
    I know what difference an extra 200 mps would do and what an extra 100 damage (from having experience with any bolt action) and I know the delay timer.

So far I have made no 'gamplay or opinion based claims' only those provided by stats.
  4. MajiinBuu

Can the Railjack use a suppressor?
  5. Epicstrat

Indeed it can.
  6. minhalexus

Well it doesnt make the stats irrelevant.

But you seriously need to try the gun out before you post anything more. This gun is actually quite different than other bolt action SR.
    Maybe that is why you dont know that its velocity (with the charge time) works against accuracy at ranges below 100m. So basically you have little chances of doing anything at midrange. And non at close range.

I tested this gun in VR = Felt like heaven
    Tested it live = Not so great

My experience:

Not a good SR if you are an aggressive sniper
    Only viable if you are at long ranges. By that i mean 150m+.
    If you try to use it before that the velocity will actually work against accuracy.
  7. DevDevBooday

True, but thats what it is for though, long range sniping, like with any BASR, under 100 metres and you should be using a semi-auto

From what I have seen and from its stats, the Railjack will do extremely well at what it was designed for.

To say a BASR is bad at closer ranges is like arguing that a shot gun is bad at longer ranges. They are supposed to be.

And you are right about getting more experience. This can be said for most of the people that are arguing against it.

Most people on here are arguing against the Railjack even though they have minimal experience.

Test it out guys before saying its useless.
    Because stat wise there is nothing wrong with it at all.
    Compared to the Longshot, the delay to the kill is by 0.1 seconds at 150 metres (3 times shorter than an eye blink)
    other than that it has faster velocity and higher damage.

The only 2 people I have seen who had experience (70+ kills and a 300+) kills said they hated it initially too, but once they overcame the predictable and short delay, it was a damn good gun. (It is literally a TIER 4 gun)
  8. TheShrapnelKing

Sigh...they get a good idea, then ruin it again because they don't want any of these weapons to be awesome, they all have to be gimped somehow.

If the thing was a guaranteed one-shot kill I don't much give a **** what other disadvantages you give it. But as it is, there's no point in using it.
  9. Revanmug

It does 50 additional damage than the Longshot. The additional damage on HS is entirely pointless as both will OHSK at render distance.

You can argue all you want about the velocity increase but the damage part is entirely pointless. The railgun is pretty horrible in closer range where the actual 50 body damage increase might help for pistol finish up. You could remove it and you wouldn't notice any difference in gameplay.

I'm sorry if you can't aim for **** but any of the regular bolt action are easily usable around and under 100m in range.

You get your stamp of clueless player. Congratulation! We are done here.
    • Up x 1
  10. minhalexus

You dont get it.

BASR do pretty well at 100m.
    Railjack doesnt, in such cases the velocity works against accuracy. (with the charge time)

So if you can use the longshot for mid-long ranges.
    You can only use the railjack for long ranges.

Sadly there is no 'very long range' due to render distance limit.

i have only an hour of experience with the railjack. But it wasnt hard to conclude that it is harder to use it in mid ranges than other BASR. Why? Charge, high Velocity, longer chamber time.

What i consider Mid range = 50-130m

At long ranges it isnt much better than the longshot. But that argument has already been made.
    • Up x 2
  11. DevDevBooday

Sorry, at what point did I say I cant aim or use a BASR at close range?

Your first point correcting me is good, thankyou

your second one is just there to attack and accuse with no purpose whatsoever.

Please be constructive.

You get your stamp of being a troll. 'Congratulation' to you too.
  12. DevDevBooday

How is the Railjack any worse at close range than the Longshot exactly?
  13. AlephZed

At close range you have to wait about 0.2 seconds before it can fire, and make sure your aim is on the head at that time otherwise you're dead assuming they haven't already killed you.
    • Up x 1
  14. MarkAntony

Wrong.
    bullet velocity is meaningless. Bullet time to target is what matters. Since up till now this depended solely on bullet velocity these were the same. They are not in this case. There goes one of the upsides.
    The damage does not matter because it is still a OHK headshot and a 2hk bodyshot at the same ranges.(up to 300m = render-distance) There goes the other upside.
    What you don't get is that its supposed strengths do not matter as the have no effect ingame.

So yeah. It's a downgrade.
    • Up x 1
  15. DevDevBooday

Even with 0.2 seconds delay that still gives it a faster TTK than almost any other gun at closer ranges.
  16. DevDevBooday

So you are saying that SOE has no idea what they are doing and that you do?
    They wouldnt have made it if it didnt do anything.
    Why do people choose the Longshot over the Bolt driver if they are both OHK at render range?
    People choose the longshot because its higher velocity makes it easier to hit targets, not because it kills faster (since the difference is about 0.1 of a second)

The Railjack is the next step on top of the Longshot.
    TTK is pretty irrelevant with a BASR, its real speciality is making one round take a life.
    The Railjack makes it easier to do that.
  17. BillHaverchuck

Used to have the default NC sniper. I gathered the 1000 certs today(auraxius medal ftw) and i chose longshot. Longshot wins mid range and low range and its not a lot worse than RJ in long range. Plus its better for fast playing.
    • Up x 1
  18. HadesR

Bolt Driver can't OHK at render range .. It has a Max OHK range of 200m iirc without checking the notes.
    • Up x 3
  19. Fredfred

You should note, that small fights, infantry will only render 315meters realistically at best. So, anything beyond that is moot, and not really relevant.
  20. MarkAntony

Seriously people need to get their facts straight.
    The Bolt driver does not OHK to render range. There goes the first half of your post.
    As for the Railjack being better than the longshot for making one round take a life: With the delay factored in it has worse bullet time to target. So the extra muzzle velocity is useless. And the bulletdrop on the longshot is already negligible. So the Railjack actually makes it harder to do that. And there goes the second half.
    as for them not putting something in the game if it doesn't do anything special (especially Empire specific stuff): I present to you the Striker (as it is currently implemented), the scout rifles until they got repeatedly buffed, the Battle rifles until they got buffed (still kinda weak).