MKV Suppressed vs. NS-7 PDW?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Eravel, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Kitakami

Well, it's definitely not "pay to win", and it's still an SMG if you don't have one, so it isn't "pay to lose"...

Um, I guess they've invented "pay to pay"?
    • Up x 3
  2. Catch23

well, first off, if you don't want/ need a suppressor, the PDW is the gun you want.

If you do want it silnced tho, you have to crunch the numbers with the PDW suppressed.

that would be:

PDW: 125 @ 18m - 100 @ 55 m
    MKV: 125 @ 16m - 91 @ 42 m

(Soft Point Ammo enhances maximum damage range for SMGs by 6m, suppressors reduce maximum damage range by 3m and the minimum range by 10m)

with the MKV you have 779 instead of 750 ROF and bullets travel at 330 m/s vs 320 m/s (assuming that velocity penaltiy is only 20% for all SMGs, which is not really certain btw. I doubt it!)

Moreover, the recoil bias on the MKV is to the right (like for most guns in the game) and to the left for the PDW.

So if your other biased guns go to the right, like they do for me (MSW, Lynx, Trac5, Blitz, GD-22S) you might like the recoil pattern a bit better, too.

I just played with the MRK a bit and I really like it, especially in connection with the all new and improved EMP grenades (they are really good).

while I was trying to engage at ideal range (25-30 m) I couldn't avoid close and point blank encounters at which 4% more DPS does help over time.
    it's easier to keep max range than mimimum range in my limited experience.

TL;DR:

MKV is a straight upgrade if you like suppressors on SMGs and want to fight at shorter ranges than with the PDW and at more distance than the 1st and 2nd gen SMGs sweet spot (0-12m)

It's the best gun in combination with EMP grenades imho
    • Up x 1
  3. Kunavi

LOLd hard at "Invented Pay To Pay"... And it does seem to be the case. Although I had a different opinion early on(Which might still change depending on how they change the MKV as they go) I can only recommend getting the MKV if ;

- You have no other SMG, specifically the PDW even if you have one of the others.
    - You like the name. MKV sounds good!
    - You like the camo coverage so much you just can't hold back.
    - You will never, ever ever, use a PDW with no Suppressor, in any way the PDW was meant to be used!(Confused? Me too, but it makes sense in a way- Still a silly reason).
    - You MUST have the latest. No matter what.
    - You want to support SOE(Nice of you! Go ahead if you have the spare $! ^_^)
    - You want to Aurax it for any number of invalid reasons, all of which at this point are signs of addiction unless you're BR1.
    - ????

Catch23 from your TLDR all I could surmise was... It's a MELEE WEAPON!? :p But I probably read it wrong.
  4. GhostAvatar

And you got it wrong also, you didn't apply the suppressor values to the PDW :confused:

Lets start from the start.
    Base
    PDW: 125@15m - 100@65m
    MKV: 125@10m - 91@42m

Now a suppressor reduces min damage range by 3m and max by 10, so...
    Suppressed
    PDW: 125@12m - 100@55m
    MKV: 125@10m - 91@42m

Then SPA adds back 6m to the max damage range on both.
    Suppressed+SPA
    PDW: 125@18m - 100@55m
    MKV: 125@16m - 91@42m

What does that mean DPS wise.
    PDW: 1562@18m - 1250@55m
    MKV: 1622@16m - 1181@42m

The MKV is going to be trading better damage up close, for poorer damage at range. As for the bullet velocity, we don't know exactly how much suppressors effect these values per weapon. But if the average of 20% is applied, then the MKV has an advantage of only 10m extra velocity. Honestly, this weapon doesn't make much sense to me. The differences between the two weapons are very small once you kit out the PDW with a silencer. While the supposed big selling point according to the description of better long range capabilities, isn't something that is of any real importance on a silenced CQC weapon.
  5. Degenatron

So from what i'm hearing is that:
    If a new gun has lower stats than comparable weapons...then it's junk and just a blatant cash grab.
    If a new gun has higher stats than comparable weapons...then it's OP and just a blatant cash grab.

Got it.
    • Up x 10
  6. Clay

You can bring up your numbers again and again to show this weapon is crap and I tell you its not because I actually use it in game and I farm ns pdw people with it. I never used a supressed full auto weapon which feels as good as the MKV. If you leave out the suppressor its rather mediocre, but if you want to stealth this is the thing to go (especially together with a xbow for longer ranges or finishers)
  7. Stromberg

unlike other NS weapons, the MKV recoil goes up and right. I don't know about other empires, but almost all VS weapons with biased recoil go up and right, which is why changing to an NS weapon is normally a problem for VS.
  8. Catch23

nah, you did quite well. I mean you don't use SMGs so I understand it's looking all the same for you watching it through your 12x :)

Besides, you do have some points - applying to pretty much all non-stock guns
  9. Iridar51

Yeah, apparently we both suck at napkin math. Me and that guy, what-was-his-name.
    Yes, that's what I intended to do, apparently I'm too stupid for my own good now.

Punchline: even though I got math wrong both times *insert tactical facepalm picture here*, my point is still valid:
    PDW has higher minimum damage, so at >26 meters suppressed PDW has lower TTK than MKV.
    [IMG]
    At ranges <22m high-DPS SMGs will perform better than both of them, so, like with all NS weapons, MKV has a very small niche where it's actually optimal, and that would be [20; 30] meters.
  10. Clay

Everything except biolabs, yep a very small niche
  11. Iridar51

We use numbers to determine the objective picture. Your picture is subjective: "I kill people dead with MKV, hence it's not crap!". In reality, you can kill people dead with pretty much any weapon in the game, and quite effectively at that. Of course, we tend to exaggerate and call things crap left and right. By that we only mean the weapon in question is worse than its competition, not that its completely unusable.

Stats show the objective picture, a point of view not clouded by personal preference of the color scheme, or the "feel" the sound and animations give you.

By "small niche" I meant low versatility. Below 20 meters and you're better off with another SMG. Further than 30 meters and you're better with PDW or a higher-class weapon.
    Compared to CQC carbines: 0 - 30, or precision carbines: 20-50, I'd say it's a small niche.
  12. Clay

If you want to judge whether a weapon is useful or not, or performs better or worse than another weapon, you cant just look at the theory and tell it by numbers. Planetside 2 never worked like that. The weapons with "superior" numbers were never the weapons which brought the best results in practise. (famous examples: ns 11 a, VX Polaris) Of course I can kill people with any weapon in the game. But I have quite a little experience in this game, and if I use a weapon I can tell if it works good, better or equal compared to the other options (for my playstyle). So If the stats say the weapon is not good, but using the weapon shows me it does quite very well, I tend to say that the stats again doesnt show the truth.

This can happen due to alot of reasons. For example, the theoretical maximum DPS is something you rarely have ingame. Mostly a lot of your bullets miss, or you try to score headshots and kill faster, or 100 other things happen. Now the numbers dont help you. But what helps you to estimate a gun is now your practical experience with it. So dont tell me my opinion in this thread is less meaningful than your numbers, because its not. I would even say its the other way round.

Most of my fights as a cloaker are between 20 and 30 meters. So I would say the gun is just perfect.
    Also, the lacking DPS in close quarter is compensated by good hipfire without grip and great controlability.
    Also, a cloaker cant equip carbines. I wouldnt use the ns pdw or the mkv on any other class than cloaker because most carbines are of course better options. But with a cloak that thing does its job very nice.
  13. Catch23

1. it's more below 12-15m than 20m for other SMGs. DPS and damage fall-off is one thing, accuracy another. some SMGs have high horizontal shake. for example Sirius, Armistice. even the Sirius with it's ALS has be to ADSed at 20m really.the MRK has much better damage fall-off at that range and is more acurate while ADSing
    2. I suspect that the PDW has more than 20% velocity penalty. Carbs have more, ARs have more, LMGs way more too. It seems that guns are brought on pretty much equal level once suppressed. so I'd be suprised if the PDWs bullets were traveling at above 300m/s
    3. carbines are no peer. this gun is only really useful for infiltrators
    4. even if you try to keep 50m and go for the PDW, you won't be able to avoid 0-10m all the time.
    5. EMP grenades (as mentioned before)

best is trying it out, unfortuntely you really can't in VR. I just bought it because of the EMPs and liked it even without them. and liked it better than the PDW.
    I will still use the silenced Armistice at shorter ranges, buzier fights.
    The new gun fills the pretty big niche between the Armistice and the 4x BASR better for me than the PDW. at 50+m I really want the small scope Bolt Action
  14. Longasc

The .MKV plays a video if you kill someone with it.
    • Up x 1
  15. NinjaTurtle

I think the MKV was added last minute as a way to fill out the already small update considering there was a lack of real infiltration content aside from Stalker

They removed the recon drone, they didn't add any other infiltration tool such as a personal shield diffuser, AMS hacking, being able to disable vehicles with EMP etc etc etc

How else could they have added something quickly to make the update look bigger than what it in fact was other than copying a weapon and adjusting a few stats?
  16. RockPlanetSide2

As with all the guns, it's only as good as you are. It looks cooler than the PDW because it has glow-y bits and the suppressor looks bad***. The PDW has that tiny goofy looking extra long suppressor... does NOT look menacing.

I went with gold MKV, and the new gold trim jump-suit... I look dangerous and I feel dangerous... that's all that matters... how bad*** do you look when the other player has to look at you on their deathscreen.
  17. IamDH

Its not really a matter of UP/OP. They pretty much released the same gun with the same model so i dont think it should be considered an addition at all to the game
  18. RockPlanetSide2

Nerd Numbers aside, you will get the same results that you did from the NSPDW. The MKV is a little better in CQC.

The only difference is IF YOU BUY BOTH you can deck out the NSPDW for medium range like a carbine (Grip, Compensator, scope, etc) and then they will be two different guns. This really does work well outside if you have never tried it. The MKV is NOT as good as the NSPDW outdoors.

All it really did was give you an "NS" CQC weapon (MKV) and an "ADS Infiltrator Carbine" in the NSPDW.
  19. KO-tic

Dont listen to them

I've got the auraxium on the PDW and 127 kills with the MKV

And loving every bit of it

In the PDW I NEVER use the suppersor because of dat bullet velocity, you feel like a hose spewing out bullet water the drop to the floor

With the MKV you have no such problems

It's a straight up upgrade
    • Up x 2
  20. Catch23

Seems that there is two kinds of players in this thread. Those who tried it out an actually find it an upgrade to the PDW and those who crunch (incomplete) numbers.

Its better on average 0-50m vs. any SMG. Flat out better 0-30 vs PDW and superior to all CQC SMGs over 15m.

Beyond 50m the PDW is an inacurate peashooter (compensator on it is ridiculous) totally outclassed by Auto-Scouts and small scope BASRs.

So actually its the PDW that fills a niche not its younger brother.

If you find deviations of 4% in DPS or (my estimate) 10% in velocity irrelevant - don't ever buy a gun and use stock.
    • Up x 1