When did the Combat Medic become an issue?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Eclipson, Sep 3, 2013.

1. CrashB111

But....that is what the Combat Medic is right now. They are essentially the same as rolling Medic trains from Bad Company 2 where you can't win the engagement unless you kill every single enemy at the same time or they will just circle jerk each other with revives.
    • Up x 2
  2. ChicoFuerte

My individual skill does matter because I can survive a firefight and revive everyone, uncontested, forever and ever.

When you've got people with high KDR protecting you, like mpal or Vonic, it takes SO MUCH to kill them that all your effort and work is null and void when I take 1 second to revive them to full health.

There's something wrong with that mechanic. That I can revive a 5+ KDR player without penalty forever and ever.
    • Up x 2
  3. P4NJ

Whiners. It doesn't have to make sense, they just whine.
  4. Llaf

Lol, combat medics OP? The only thing combat medics are absurdly good at is long range combat, seeing as how they can stay alive indefinitely at long ranges by simply healing themselves during their reloads while behind cover, with no threat of retaliation. But I wouldn't call them OP for that, I'd just call that a niche. They fill the space between infiltrator range and heavy assault range pretty nicely I think, plus they can still run out of ammo, so they can't attack indefinitely from range without help. Definitely not OP.
  5. Redshift

More revive tools at rank 6 i guess, a few medics on each side of a choke point and you have endless meatgrinders
  6. Accuser

When you log off, all of those deaths are counted against you in your players.planetside2 stats page. But they don't show up on your session statistics.

SOE set up this game (intentionally?) so that experienced players would have a HUGE advantage over new players. Knowing that revives don't help your K/D is one of those advantages of experience.
  7. llPendragon

My 2 cents:
    Infantry weapon balancing increased the Medic AR's ability to compete against LMGs and Carbines.
    +
    Loss of cheap Infantry resources for medic pins.
    +
    MAX costs increased the value of revive.
    =
    The Medic is increasing in value

I still think it's balanced, but it may not stay that way if it's not managed well.
  8. ChicoFuerte

12 hours and 14 minutes of playing medic completely wrong.
    • Up x 1
  9. Ash87

Honestly, I have seen this one around for a long time. The issue has mostly been: "Should you be able to revive max units" and has recently become more: "Are they op as is." I think this is because medic balling has become so much more common now... I mean tactics have evolved in the game, and gradually as time goes on, these things start becoming more used, you are going to get more things like that, that are seen as Op.

Is it...? I never thought so. The medic has a function, it carries out it's function rather well. That isn't really OP in my opinion.
  10. Lazaruz

Judging by my own experiences, I think this is a myth. It might have been true at one point or another, but at least now and in my case it's not true.
  11. Llaf

I'm not sure why you'd disagree, are you saying medics ARE op? Your avatar is a medic so I'm assuming no. My best guess is you're just trying to troll me. No, I don't play medic, however I have had several do the exact thing I described in my post and I found them to be essentially invincible unless I were to actually run over to them and get close enough so they could not heal safely.
  12. CrashB111

You can play something OP and still recognize that it is such. Not everyone wants the game to be unbalanced forever in their favor for easy xp.
  13. ChicoFuerte

Read any of my posts about the subject and you'd know that I think medics are totally overpowered, especially the Medic Tool. I've put in my time on the class and Rank 6 medic tool was the first cert line I did.

But I don't play them at range. Long range battles are useless to my outfit. We skip over those completely and drop directly onto the points. The HV45 is one of the best guns in our arsenal and that thing is a great CQC weapon.

That's what I meant when I posted your medic playtime.
  14. Llaf

I see. That still doesn't change what I said though about medics being awesome at range. They are the only class that can't be worn down, at least health wise(again, they can run out of ammo) at range. Medics are great at cqc too with the cqc weapons they are provided, I still wouldn't call them overpowered though. Annoying, yes, definitely, you either kill him in one go or you don't, they have a lot of staying power because of the ability to heal themselves and revive allies, but one medic in and of itself is not inherently overpowered in my opinion. No I don't play medic, but having played the other classes pretty extensively I think I offer a pretty decent third person perspective, having fought many medics.
  15. CaligoIllioneus

Nope, they do not count at all. I checked the planetside players page too. I'm not sure if what you say has been true in the past but right now if you're resurrected, that death is erased from your KDR. It does show up on the Killboard of the Planetside Players page, but it does not affect your KDR in any way.
    • Up x 1
  16. CrashB111

I think you are missing the point of the threads.

1 Individual Medic is not so much of a problem, you can kill him and the enemy loses the ability to revive.
    The problem is when you have 12 Medics or 24 Medics in a platoon, then you have to kill all 12 or all 24 of the Medics at the same time or all your work is wasted when any single Medic out of that herd has the capability to revive the entire platoon back onto its feet.
  17. Llaf

So would I be correct in stating that the argument is that the revive tool is OP?
  18. ChicoFuerte

We're talking about two different points. You're talking about the Combat and I'm talking about the Medic part.

Being able to revive, without penalty, an infinite number of friendly's, only taking 1 second to do so, is what I have a problem with.
    • Up x 1
  19. jak

Revive functionality, yes.
    • Up x 1
  20. Lazaruz

This is exactly why I would have made people choose only one class (and maybe one sub class) to play throughout the game, instead of being the know-it-all/do-it-all super soldiers that we get now. It would have been a totally different ball game at that point, but of course that would have also cut down the market for weapons and cosmetics. Can't have that...