Nanoweave since the update

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Nyscha, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Tristan

You're right, it's not real life, and the designers of this game have determined that nanoweave gives you just enough health to avoid one-shot sniper deaths. It's cute that you think this was unintentional.
  2. Aimeryan

You know their intentions? Please provide a source, I just don't trust you, sorry. Until it is confirmed that the dev's intention is to make bolt-actions require two-shots (even though their own weapon description for the high-powered sniper rifles directly contradicts this), you have no argument.
  3. Tristan

Ahahaha. Ok. Let's just throw good judgement and inference out the window in favor of supporting your favorite pet playstyle.

As someone who worked in the game industry for years, let me tell you what happened in the QA pit when Nanoweave was implemented. Knowing that most QA people are giant sperglords, at least a few of them would have been tacticlol snipers sitting on hills. Nanoweave got implemented, and a bug was written that one-shot headshot kills were broken. Then a producer and/or designer saw the bug, decided it either wasn't worth redesigning or was a good thing, and sent it back to QA sperglord sniper as 'As Designed' laughing all the way.

Disclaimer: Not a story based in fact, which will be totally disregarded because lol one shot snipers.
    Edit: OH NOES APPEAL TO AUTHORITAH!
    • Up x 1
  4. Tristan

That said, I would be ok with bolt actions one-shotting people within 50 meters.
  5. Vaphell

i don't remember when was the last time i sniped from 200m, on the other hand i remember very well being inside the enemy infested Palisade and not getting a kill from 30-40m on a turretting engineer (roughly the distance between east side towers).

fine, take it from Mustarde (#8 on Mattherson in kills) then:
    http://aninfiltratorsblog.wordpress.com/2013/05/26/the-problem-with-nanoweave/

So it has long been known that sniper rifles have damage degradation over distance – even before SOE included weapon stats in the game, numerous youtubers and infiltrators have known that nanoweave armor would allow an infantry player to survive a headshot at a given range. I was probably one of the handful of infiltrators who naysayed in the forums, telling people that; yes, it happens, but no, it’s not gamebreaking. As is the tendency to overreact on the forums, I probably leaned too far in the other direction, pretending that you could still be a good infiltrator regardless of this mechanic.

Perhaps something changed in GU09, or perhaps on Mattherson (and I’m sure other servers), the overall high level of cert points have lead more people to fit nanoweave. Or perhaps as HE was nerfed, more and more people are using nanoweave over flak. For whatever reason, I have never had this much trouble sniping, and while it doesn’t make me mad, I am finally convinced that this is broken and should be fixed. I do not believe sniper rifles need a direct buff, however I do think the headshot multiplier should increase, such that a headshot = kill with the bolt action rifles. You sacrifice so much in order to do it, and it is not an easy thing to accomplish unless your target is stationary. If infiltrators cannot reliably be rewarded for landing headshots on targets at long ranges, than you will seriously negate the strength of the class. Perhaps another fix would be addressing the degree of damage degradation over range, as that also is part of the equation that allows users to survive headshots with nanoweave armor.
    Either way, I confess, the forums had it right, even if the message was over-emotional and reactionary. This is broken and severely hurts the class in a game with short TTK and unforgiving combat.
    • Up x 1
  6. Eyeklops

Don't duel then? Also, my "100m" was with the assumption of guaranteed headshot kills, if the sniper misses, the "duel" is the punishment for being sloppy. Regardless, there is no reason to duel an HA at 100m as a sniper. Cloak and move to a new position.
  7. Vaphell

i don't, just saying in case anybody had a stupid idea to feel confident at the omg so long range of 100m to duel people. Still LMG is annoyingly accurate, granted it won't kill you on the spot, but you will get flinched to death and that's at 100m. Moving asap or a very lucky hail mary shot are the only ways to get away alive... oh wait, NW will block it.
  8. Aimeryan

But Vaphell, according to Tristan long-distance sniping is no more difficult than a heavy running around a corner or a tank shooting at him. Apparently, long-distance precision headshots are no different in skill to a heavy spamming his weapon (with his shield on) at someone's body up close.

So, why would Tristan care that someone who you can prove is good at sniping says things have changed and that it is an issue? Obviously, anyone can do it and sniping is both more overpowered that anything else and also useless (I know, the irony). However, all of this is fine if the player happens to be close. I mean, you can react to a close up target one-shotting you more than you can to a far away one right? Right?
  9. Get2dachoppa

Zero chance of reward, 100% risk for the infiltrator. No risk at all to the person in the vehicle. Even a combat medic has the chance to try to C4 a vehicle so while its risky, there is still the chance of a reward.
    If you want to tell me "Cloak and run away" is my only solution to dealing with vehicles, then "don't stand still" is an equally valid solution for people to deal with snipers.
    • Up x 2
  10. DeathSparx

Yeah. For example, the longshot/parallax/rams .50 have 800 damage if your target is within 10 meters. It doesn't matter if they're wearing NW if you get that headshot.
  11. Eyeklops

You're going pretty far out in left field now. If you want any chance of convincing the general population that snipers need a buff, try keeping your comparisons apples to apples, save the vehicles vs infantry fight for another day.

But really, the way to evaluate that situation is not comparing the risk vs reward of the tank driver to an infiltrator, it's comparing how the other classes can effectively deal the the tank vs the infiltrator. I can tell you from much experience that most of the other classes will die to a good tank driver where the infiltrator has a much better chance of cloaking and escaping.

That said, the vehicle that screws infiltrators over the most is the radar flash. If there was any buff I would like to see infiltrators get (even before the NW5 fix) it's that scout radar would not detect stationary infantry.
  12. Vaphell

general population hates sniping infs too much for that to ever happen either way. Quoting Mustarde again:
    I hate to fan the flames, but I can't help myself. Killed a guy in a tower and got some tears because he had NW5 and felt that he shouldn't have died. Alone it is amusing, but sadly indicative of the mindset that many people now see infiltrators through. We are so harmless that SOMETHING MUST BE BROKEN if we kill them with a headshot.
    https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2...noweave-tear-train.129312/page-5#post-1800129
  13. VVereVVulf

I really don't see the problem here.
    It's basically like having flak armor to survive mines that would otherwise kill you.

Why not just finish the target off with a quick follow up shot from your sniper/pistol?
  14. WhiffleBalls

Removing OHSK is crippling to the role of an infiltrator as a long-range sniper/overwatch, more so than not removing it is to Heavy assaults or any other class, BY FAR. The combat effectiveness of a long range infiltrator is affected by the skill of the player both physically and mentally, and takes much more thought and awareness TO BE EFFECTIVE than any other class. The effectiveness of a long-range infiltrator is also, and often, dictated by windows of opportunity that arise for a split second, and must be taken advantage of immediately; denying OHSK closes these windows completely.

If we are going to let people survive a headshot from a ridiculously high-powered firearm that was designed to kill people in one shot, at least give it a stun affect similar to, but less severe than a concussion grenade perhaps?
  15. Vaphell

No, i'd argue it would be more like flak armor allowing to survive direct hits from dumbfire launcher, ubgl, tank shell, etc, that doesn't happen though (not to mention NW5 allows you to survive mines just fine too, which means it takes a dump on 2 key infiltrator's tools of trade).
    Mines are passive drop and forget items and it's ok to counter them with passives. Active aiming at a tiny target in a small window of opportunity is not remotely comparable.

do you sport 50rpm weapon (tops) in a world of 600rpm full auto weapons so you have to finish the job with pistols? seriously?
  16. subz3r01337

Don't worry guys there going to sell a new sniper rifle that will kill in one hit if it was a headshot.
  17. Jake6824

I have an idea to make everyone happy (hopefully :))

I mainly play a Medic with NW4, and too many times I have been standing still, when BOINK! I get shot in the head. I'm fine, but I feel that snipers should deserve that kill. My suggestion is lower the max damage of Tier 3 snipers, while raising the min damage to allow OHKs at min damage range, so long as they don't have NW4 or 5. NW 4 would have a slightly closer OHK range, but still a fair distance away. NW5 is a large investment, so it would stop OHK much sooner. If NW1-3 didn't stop Tier 3 snipers, but NW4 (kinda) and 5 did, snipers would be happy, and those who invested many certs into NW wouldn't feel as if it's been wasted.

To summarize, Tier 3 BA snipers should have max damage (for balance, I don't know why) lowered but min damage raised, as to allow OHK at any range, unless the victim has NW4/5. NW4 would provide partial protection, while NW would have a large benefit. Sorry if it's confusing.

(Feedback would be appreciated!)
    • Up x 1
  18. Rudmed

The issue is the TTK with bolt actions. Semi-auto's, I believe, do not have enough stopping power to drop a target in a single headshot while bolt actions do. I recall reading somewhere, that the average time to kill is 0.5 seconds. The issue with a bolt-action is that if the target does not go down with the headshot, then our time to kill becomes much longer. First we have to unscope and rechamber the bullet, since apparently our characters do not have that down to muscle memory. Then we have to scope back in, relocate our target, steady our aim, and then finally pull the trigger.

This entire process takes 3-5 seconds (estimated not actually measured and depending on the skill of the player), which in a game where the average TTK is 0.5 seconds....that is unbelievably slow. Not to mention our target has this window to find cover, and heal up. Furthermore, since that shot failed to kill, we have revealed our position. So as I'm trying to get the fatal second shot on my target, he has most likely called out "SNIPER!" or taken cover and here comes the pack of angry players to murder me.

Vaphell beat me to the punch about the pistol comment, so I won't rub salt on an open wound.

This idea sounds good, but I don't understand all the technical stuff, so I can't really offer constructive feed back.
  19. Jake6824

Thanks! But I have no idea about the technical stuff either, so my idea was just a wild stab at a solution.
  20. Aimeryan

This would only temporarily solve the issue: as time --> infinity, average nanoweave level --> 5

In layman terms, as time progresses the average nanoweave level reaches 5. This means bolt-actions once again suffer greatly from nanoweave.

~

Bolt-actions are not designed with any semblance of balance for two-shot kills. The TTK on the weapon goes up by many many times its original value. In fact, in a lot of cases it is immeasurable because the target takes cover and no kill can be achieved. Even if the target does not take cover before you can fire a second shot the target is now startled and moving evasively, which is almost impossible to hit at long distance due to the mechanics of the game (slow bullet velocity, very slow rate of fire, no inertia for target). If you miss the second shot (or do not take it quick enough) the shields go back up, and if the target uses a medikit (or has a medic nearby) all the work you just done has been wasted.

I wouldn't mind it requiring two shots if the gun was even remotely suited to this task. The semi-autos are much superior the moment nanoweave comes into play (which, given its popularity, is very often). If the bolt-actions are to remain as requiring two shots then a number of changes need to be made to balance them. Removing the silly descoping mechanic would be a start. Speeding up the bullet velocity and/or adding inertia to targets would help with the second shot specifically. You could also improve rate of fire, but this would be encroaching on semi-auto territory, which seems redundant. Making a headshot cripple the target for enough time would also make the second shot viable.