Nanoweave since the update

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Nyscha, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Vaphell

1211c is not much for a passive 25%hp increase, not to mention very affordable +20% for 211c. +2 bullets in every bullethose/shotgun/non-revolver sidearm encounter, AP mines, HE splash - NW is worth its weight in gold. It NW counters sniper rifles that cost 1000c themselves and it starts working at level 2 costing a whooping 11c.
    • Up x 1
  2. Granderil

I don't see the logical connection between these sentences.:confused:
  3. BloodyPuma

Yep. "Hardcore" is a personal opinion. As a long range sniping passionate I would give out:

-shield
    -cloak
    -even 90% of health

in order to be able to carry

+200 bolts.
    • Up x 1
  4. Black March

It's not 25% HP, it's 50%. It was always bugged and said 25% health but in fact gave a 25% health bonus that was calculated from (HP+Shield)*1.25. But now they "Fixed" it so it's +250 instead (which means 50% for all classes except infiltrators, which now gets more then 50% health boost from nanoweave). .

And yeah, NW is gold. I use nothing but nanoweave for all of my classes/characters. Except TR heavy cause striker is so good, I alternate NW with extra launcher ammo.
  5. Vaphell

i am perfectly and painfully aware of all the nanoweave details, as i participated in the discussion that sparked the actual investigation of nanoweave and yielded true numbers in gameplay bugs forum. I meant HP in the 'total HP/EHP' sense, ignoring mostly artificial distinction from the damage dealing point of view between hp and shields.

"but in fact gave a 25% health bonus that was calculated from (HP+Shield)*1.25"
    this is wrong btw, it was always HP*(1+0.25*2)+Shield
    "so it's +250 instead (which means 50% for all classes except infiltrators, which now gets more then 50% health boost from nanoweave)"
    this is also wrong, all classes have 500base hp. It's the shield that makes the difference.
    • Up x 1
  6. Fang7.62

I rarely snipe, but it always should be: bolt action to the head = death. Nanoweave or not. I dont run nanoweave and I cant remember the last time when I got long range HS'd with the exception of standing still while guiding the Phoenix. And that is completely fair and actually needed to balance out the HA launcher and engi AV turret spam that shoot at vehicles that dont even render them, they just need to die by one shot from a sniper. Powah to the infils!
  7. Tristan

Here's a novel idea. Get in a squad so that, even if your headshot doesn't kill someone, the squadmates you're covering will. This is an MMO. Support people instead of just sitting on a cliff taking pot shots.
    • Up x 1
  8. Aimeryan

This seems like a moot point at first glance, but the difference between (HP+Shield)*1.25 & HP*(1+0.25*2)+(Shield) is relevant when it comes to infiltrators, since infiltrators were getting the same bonus as everyone else, yet have less shields - hence the shields were not taken into account when calculating the bonus.

It shows that it was indeed a bug before, at least based on SOE's tooltip, since the coding was not taking the shield into account at all. Therefore, it could not have been a +25% to health in any sense of the phrase (since the shields were not taken into account and thus can not be counted as also being "health"). It was literally +50% to health instead of the +25% that the tooltip was saying.

I will say that 1211 certs is very little for a 50% health increase and contributes to "levels over skill" - which is quite sad in an FPS. The fact that is also totally ruins long-distance sniping is just horrendous and possible SOE's biggest blunder yet.

Outnumbering your opponents is always possible, for both sides at the same time of course. This should be a staple way to win any competition. Balance? What is that?
  9. Tristan

Actually, meaningfully contributing to the fight? What is that?
  10. Aimeryan

When snipers don't require twice the number as any other class to perform their job.
  11. Tristan

You have an incorrect notion of what your job is. The class is called 'Infiltrator', not 'Dude who sits on a ridge with a sniper rifle'. Snipers only run into 'balance' problems when they like to pretend they're the latter and the class should never be balanced around that concept. Grab your preferred weapon and move around, with or without a squad. I promise you'll have a more enjoyable time playing.
  12. Eyeklops

Don't take this personally, but a large majority of non-sniping infantry downright hate snipers. SOE knows this and doesn't want over-saturation of snipers to push these people away, so they made sniping not super lucrative. The other big reason: Higby is all about risk vs reward (as seen by the stupid OSK shotguns) and TBH, sitting out in the middle of BFE 300m (or more) from the nearest objective isn't exactly the same risk level as breaching a doorway, or arming a generator, so you get less reward.
  13. Aimeryan

I am fully aware of such arbitrary definitions. I am fully aware that long-distance sniping in this game has gone from moderately enjoyable (compared to what other games can offer in this role), to miserably unenjoyable. I don't play Planetside 2 anymore, because it is failing to live up to what its predecessor was able to offer. I am keeping an eye out in case that changes, with the major event being sometime next month with the infiltrator update.

I really don't care how effective a playstyle is, as long as it is fun. Before the nanoweave fiasco the long-distance sniper playstyle was somewhat fun; now not so much. The reason is obvious, and if SOE care for people who like that playstyle (or at least the money those people will throw at the game) then they will change things. Otherwise, well maybe Planetside 3 will be better, or another franchise can fill the void.
  14. Get2dachoppa

Name of the class is irrelevant. The class is the only one with access to sniper rifles, therefore it was intended they perform the role of snipers. It's that simple.
    • Up x 1
  15. Tristan

It's more likely that they care about everyone else. Getting one-shot killed by a guy you or your squadmates never saw and have to go on a quest to find is not fun in any game except Day Z.

It's funny that you seem to think the game is becoming less like Planetside 1. Lots of PS1 vets are returning for the exact opposite reason.
  16. Ivalician

My biggest problem with nanoweave as it is is not that it prevents bolt action sniper rifle OHKOs, it is that this effect is not applied uniformly, but arbitrarily.

If you can cert to survive an infiltrator's OHKO and eight rockets exploding at your feet, then you'd better be able to cert to survive an OHKO from a pump action shotgun and underbarrel grenade launcher, two of the most embarrassingly no skill weapons in the game that I see high BR players abusing all the time.
  17. Tristan

The class also has prox mines and a radar dart. This suggests that the class is not meant to just sit on a ridge and snipe. Snipers are meant to be within 100 meters of a squad, on the move. Intention and ability are not the same thing, and there is a reason that mostly useless ridge sniping is not rewarded highly.
  18. Get2dachoppa

I don't buy the risk vs. reward argument towards snipers. Where's the risk vs. reward if a tank or harasser rolls up near my position and spots me? Where's the risk to them? Any other class at least has the capability (however small) to fight back against an armored vehicle, not us.
    • Up x 2
  19. Vaphell

no offense taken, i am well aware people hate snipers - hell, if they see one they bumrush him forgetting anything else, which i have experienced first hand many times. I argue that people are shortsighted and the balance and the depth of the game suffers from the hardcore antisniper bias

Reasons:

1. it's a base loadout/the most accessible weapon class available to noob infiltrators, which means that they WILL be sporting sniper rifles for at least some time (especially f2p players), and NW makes their life extremely painful when they are pitted against mid- and high-BR players decked out from top to bottom.

2. the reward part of the risk vs reward thing was already quite low for infiltrators sniping at longer ranges and i'd argue people underestimate the risk. It's not as straightforward as in cqc, it's different but it's there, eg countersniping, scout ESFs, etc. Oneshotting not to give hints about the position is 3/4 of sniper's defense behind the enemy lines, fail to kill and your life is on a rather short countdown
    Inf as a class is dead last in xp gain, even after introduction of SMGs. Avg inf's exp gain is about 0.7 of global average, which can be explained by much smaller pool of viable targets, lots of downtime glass cannon snipers experience, eg legwork + waiting game, huge time penalty on death - bump in NW usage sure as hell won't make the stat better.

3. snipers are absolutely necessary to provide a viable counter to some nasty tactics, eg fortified AV camps of turret engies and lockon HAs with few AA MAXes added to the mix to deny air. How else do you propose to wipe these if mech dies on sight, air is denied and flanking snipers are trolled by people sporting NW?

I am not arguing here that you should be able to kill people on the other side of the map (not that aiming at pixel sized head is trivial), but i consider 100m suppressed a bare minimum (not the current 30m/50m depending on the rifle model).
    • Up x 3
  20. Eyeklops

#1. Cloak and run away? No you don't have the ability to kill most vehicles, but your cloak should let most intelligent snipers get away unharmed. If you can't get away, cross that sniping location off the list and use better judgement for the next one.
    #2. You're mixing force multipliers (tanks / vehicles) vs base infantry, not the best comparison. Apples & oranges my man.

I know you're feeling buthurt over the nanoweave buff, but it's really SOE saying they don't want snipers hanging out in BFE. They wan't you to move into the sub 100m range and be closer to the action.