TTK is too short, make it longer SOE

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Blackweb, May 3, 2013.

1. Blackweb

I already explained how we recruit. Most outfits use recruiting squads and platoons to recruit. If you joined a PHX recruiting platoon it is very likely you got an invite. If you don't want an invite, don't join the platoon marked [PHX] RECRUITING :p

See the message below? It says "Phoenix Battalion is recruiting!" That means we invite people if they want to join. If they join a platoon or squad labled [PHX] Recruiting, we assume that they want to join the outfit so we invite them. Understand? :rolleyes:
  2. Blackweb

Ok so it was 5 seconds, now its 2-3 seconds. In my experience TTK is about 0.5 - 2 secs for infantry in most situations. Minimum TTK is what matters and that is about 0.5 seconds which is far too short.

No wait, apparently, some of you are so 1337 that you can use "tactics" for 0.5 seconds and increasing the minimum TTK to 1.0 seconds would cause "zerging" and reduce the use of "tactics". Oh puhleeze :rolleyes:
  3. CoreCombat

To those that say that tactics aren't and that there isn't any strategy because there's a longer TTK .......

Emphasis on area / ground control , cap tactics, etc...... All with a higher TTK ( Thus aiming is actually rewarded) .
    • Up x 1
  4. Blackweb

Nice, thanks for stating the obvious (no sarcasm intended). There are many in this thread who cant seem to grasp the obvious. Higher TTK (within reason) raises the skill cap :cool:
    • Up x 1
  5. Ninjivitis

From the site you linked:
    The PlanetSide Intel Impact score gathers all your characters data mushes it all together and does some crazy math to see how much of an impact your character has contributed to your empire. Below are some items that are mixed together.
    • Kills
    • Deaths
    • Assists
    • Facility Captures
    • Facility Defends
    • Score
    • Play Time
    • and more...
    Crazy maths? Kills, deaths, assists, score, even captures and defends are stats that show nothing except what you have done in the time you have been playing. They go up automatically the longer you play, so they don't show skill at all. By this logic any BR100 must be hot **** right? There is no stat that shows the skills that matter in this game.

What about those of us who spend lots of idle time training others or being trained? What about those of us who do the thankless job of sabotaging enemy bases before the main force arrives or who die a million times to hold an outnumbering force? What about people making videos for their outfits or their youtube channel, and how about those unfortunates caught at the gate for 45 minutes in a que for the continent that they are needed on?

We don't judge an outfit by their numbers. We measure people by their actions, not their words. Someone with **** stats and a high level of skill can outplay someone with pristine stats, because there is no stat for attaining one's goal.

You advise Blackweb to dump his dead weight to elevate the outfit's status. In reality, by training up what would otherwise be zerglings, and giving them teamwork and a better gaming experience, we are doing much more for the NC than just saying "Look at us, we are such badasses. Check out our K/D! See we must be super leet."

I know he wasn't insulting me directly, but I will defend my outfit because they watch my back and I know for a fact that they aren't bad players. Say what you want about me, call me a total noobsauce, and I will laugh and go 'Iknoright? rezmeplox'. But no one can say my squad mates suck because I have personally seen them do amazing things.

I urge everyone to stop looking at stats as if they are some gospel. War is not waged by accountants and actuaries, it is waged by soldiers with guts and determination. A cohesive military doesn't care about your skill level as long as you are able. Everyone has a place, no matter if you are a lowly newbie with glasses who can't shoot well or a badass chuck norris delta force.

Back on topic, one thing that I think hasn't been mentioned is that raising the TTK would effectively set us at square one as far as balance goes. Every weapon would have to be re-examined and tweaked to keep them effective. Also, TTK would STILL be short sometimes because the level of outnumbering in this game can reach mythic proportions. That said, I wouldn't be against it, it's just that I think it is ok where it is and it's really not possible to raise it without breaking the game.
    • Up x 1
  6. SolLeks

lol, using tribes as a high TTK game when most of the weapons are explosives that will one hit kill and they are using jetpacks to be highly mobile.... I alpha-ed Tribes Ascend, nothing about that game is even close to this one. TTK is higher yes, but that is because of mobility. If no one had jet packs, then everyone would be instant killed by the spinfuser...
    • Up x 4
  7. MykeMichail

Okay. So they make TTK twice as long as it is now.

You walk around the corner and you see 3 enemies.

At the moment, you might drop one, even 2 before the others can react and take you down.

Increase the time to kill, and before you know it, you can only drop 1 enemy before you're absolutely slaughtered by the combined fire of 3 people.

All a change such as this would do is favour zergs. At least as it stands right now, highly skilled players can take out enemies several times their own number with superior tactics, the element of surprise, clever ambushes, a good use of cover and angles.
    • Up x 2
  8. Divinorium

Bleh why bother? the guys who support high TTK never played any game aside from WoW for what i've seen. let this topic die, it's just way too much stupid to waste time here. And when you bring a argument they don't even answer it.
    • Up x 1
  9. November

The only change they need to make is double HP pools across the board.
  10. Liquid23

I never said it was 5 seconds you said that 5-10 seconds would be ridiculously long for a TTK and I pointed out that actual TTK under game conditions is already close to that

so in reality all you did was ruin your own argument... and if you are experiencing a 0.5 TTK constantly than well you should probably look into standing still in the open 10 foot from enemies less ... lol

OP is in a Zerg outfit... ;)
    • Up x 1
  11. Armchair

Fixed that for you.

Of course he wants high TTK's. That would be a straight buff to his outfit's main strategy of 'drown the enemy in bodies'
    • Up x 1
  12. Blackweb

We make no apologizes for the size of our outfit. What we find when someone calls us a "zerg outfit" is that they got beat down by a larger outfit so they whine and blame their failure on superior numbers. In fact, most "zerg" outfits are the most highly organized. We are always organized down to the platoon and squad level.

There are parts of the game you will not experience unless you are part of a large outfit. For example, PHX recently made a stand at the Esamir Munitions tower against the entire TR faction on Esamir at the time. They had at least 3 full platoons, maybe 4. After repeated attempts to take the tower from our 2 platoons, one TR soldier yelled

You cant buy that kind of respect. "zerg outfit"? Yea right :rolleyes:
    • Up x 1
  13. Blackweb

I don't think that doubling HP alone would be enough. I think there should be other tweaks such as to shields and defensive certs. The key stat is minimum TTK, I am not that concerned about maximum TTK because that also depends on player skill. There is zero player skill involved in minimum TTK.
    • Up x 1
  14. brilig

It does seem like a short burst of aimed fire from just about any class is all that's needed to take someone out. Hip fire can be another story. I would be down with all the infantry classes being a little bit tougher.
  15. Liquid23

are you sure you know what whining is because you don't seem to... as far as the rest of your post goes... nothing much I can say but LMAO
    • Up x 1
  16. Posse

Oh, maybe the game made me join that squad when I started that BR1, could be.
  17. KodanBlack

I agree with you that the game isn't trying to be realistic, and that it's totally fine. It's meant to be fun, and it is! But, after multiple experiences in combat, I can correct you that humans on the battlefield, with adrenaline in their systems and driven by anger and fear can generally take more than a "half dozen rounds", unless those rounds strike through a vital area. Even then, they're going to be a deadly opponent for a few more moments, until his or her body shuts down from shock and/or organ failure. So, that isn't too far off of the mark.

Multiple headshots not realistic? I saw a man take three to the head before dropping. People have survived railroad spikes and knives driven through the head. The body is quite resilient.
  18. MrK

The problem is not really the TTK per se, it's that with each release of more and more powerfull weapons for $$ reasons, we reached the point where we see a game filled with OSK wonders requiring nothing else than a bit of surprise and mindless spamming. That's hardly the tactic some here want us to make believe.
    Apart from these case, there's not much issue, but you cannot correct the wrong case without making them utterly useless, so they need some room in TTK for change.

On a sidenote, like someone above suggested, I'd like to see the uber-tactical apologists go watch some serious Ennemy Territory gameplay. The positioning, training, forethough, rehearsal and synchronization there trumps ANYTHING seen in PS2 so far, by a fair margin. I've not been much involved in ET community, but the few I've seen of the competitive scene there has definitively changed my mind about so called "stupid bunnyhoppers".
    Crossfire, positionning, synchronisation do not need sub-second TTK to be relevant. The ones needing the sub-second TTK to make their positioning relevant, imho, are the ones who cannot master their aiming on top of their positioning. And they hate that.
    With a 2-5 secs TTK, if you cannot kill a guy you take by surprise, you have an aiming issue. It's not because the game caters for bunnyhopers, but because you have an aiming issue.
  19. Posse

You may not be able to kill him not because of an aiming issue, but because he has enough time to run and find some cover, wait for the shields to regen, and engage in equal conditions (I find myself being able to do this quite often with the actual TTKs)
  20. Liquid23

it's far off the mark because there is no difference between "wounded" and "healthy" in this game... 4 combat tours in the middle east from 01-09 as an 0311 then an 0317 here I know what happens when people get hit...

while you are right kill drops rarely happen even after multiple rounds to CoM... real life isn't the movies where you shoot the guy in the chest and he instantly dies before he hits the ground (unless you are real lucky and hit that sweet spot the upper spine)... but the average soldier can not take "half a dozen rounds" to the chest and keep on fighting fine no matter the adrenaline in their system... most of the time a single shot with a full power rifle or a 3rd burst with an AR to CoM will drop someone and while they won't be dead they will be crying, praying (whether or not they believe in god), in shock or maybe ******** themselves and be basically worth as much as if they were dead in a fight... doesn't matter if they die now, 20 minutes from now from blood loss/shock, or days from now due to sepsis they arenot returning fire... there are extreme examples of course either way with people dying from light wounds and people surviving crazy amounts of lead but those are rare... you can pump 3 rounds into the average soldier's leg not hitting any arteries and a lot of the time he will still be out of the fight... the human body may be resilient but the human body or mind does not handle being perforated by high speed lead very well...

but I digress, in this game a wounded soldier performs exactly the same as a healthy one... you are either dead or alive so the TTKs are rather off compared to real life because in real life them being dead doesn't matter as much... you aren't gonna pump multiple rounds into someone to have them sprint to at you and continue returning fire as if they had never been touched... so when we say the TTK isn't realistic we don't mean people irl just die faster... we mean in practical combat, since there is no such thing as wounding in game, it takes more shots to remove someone from the fight than it does in real life since you have to completely kill them to do it
    • Up x 1