SCU Room Shields Adjustment

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by Kalyper, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Kalyper

The generators that control the shields which protect the SCU room are now gone. We are trying out a new system where the shields will go down based on the percentage of capture. Currently, they will go down when the enemy capture bar is halfway full. If the defender retakes the point, they need to bring the capture status back below that percentage to restore the shields.

The idea behind this change is to stop attackers from disabling the spawn too early, which can cause the fight the end and in some cases never happen. This will give defenders time to recover or react to a facility that is under attack.

Known Issues:
    There is no messaging of when the shields are disabled. We will be adding some VO audio to indicate when these shields go down in the near future.
    • Up x 30
  2. gudman591

So, tactic of cutting out attackers' reinforcements by repairing the shields is now also gone.

Nice, the game's depth just went up a bit. I mean, it got deeper. A lot deeper.
    • Up x 11
  3. Teod

Can we expect inability to spawn in a small outposts after a certain percentage too? That would cut spawncamping a bit and emphasize defense.
    • Up x 1
  4. Ranik

An interesting change. It will complicate base fights quite a bit.
  5. MistaN

Nice! Now there will be guaranteed resistance at least until you cap the base halfway. Only then will you be able to even access the SCU rather than it being the 1st thing you go after. Awesome change and will make defense a bit better, hopefully. Now you guys just need to go ahead and add in the ability for the SCU to take out the spawn room shields when it goes down....so we can go ahead and clear the bases out.
    • Up x 7
  6. Ash87

The only issue I potentially see, is that, taking away secondary objectives will give people less to do, and create more spawn camp.

I mean, we don't need to stand on point, now we don't need to defend generators... Lets all go to the Spawn Room!
    • Up x 29
  7. Ranik

To be frank Spawn camping was alleviated heavily with the addition of tunnels, The problem?

No one ******* uses them :rolleyes:
    • Up x 9
  8. Jac70

I'm not for this change - it seems to be just more simplifying of the game. I understand the reasoning behind it. How about moving the SCU shields closer to the spawn room to give defenders an easier opportunity to repair them.
    • Up x 14
  9. LibertyRevolution

Yeah lets remove the tactic of a surprise attack..

So your giving the defenders 10mins to regroup and take back the flag before we can kill their SCU..
    Joy! 10 more mins of spawn camping till we can knock out the SCU!!!
    Just what everyone wanted, more spawn camping!

If you are so bad at tactics that you cannot defend your SCU, you deserve to not be able to spawn there.

This is just a bandaid for the fact they increased GEN XP..
    Every base now has all its gens down and people cry about not wanting to defend behind the front lines..
    Your going about this the wrong way...
    All you needed to do was make it so that you can't overload a gen in a base you have no connectivity to..

You guys see where this is going right? Between the rush lanes and this..
    What is your lone squad going to do now that you cant even go prep a base for your main force??
    • Up x 11
  10. buff as hell irl

I like this idea because it makes the control point actually matter to the flow of the battle at facilities, but I feel like if you're going to do this, you need to also give amp stations and tech plants multiple CPs, otherwise they're just going to be grenade spam massacres.

Spawn rooms should probably go neutral once the SCU is destroyed, also.
    • Up x 1
  11. Ash87

Not really, now people just camp the little holes you pop out of.

Stairwells would have prevented that, but instead we get little jump holes, where you have no idea if they are being camped until you are through them and can't turn around.
    • Up x 20
  12. Revanmug

That is sadly true for AMP station and tech plant. A shame really.

BUT... That isn't the case for bio lab and every single outpost and tower.
  13. LibertyRevolution

↑ This
    I pop out the hole in an amp station to the SCU room and there are like 6 maxes with engies camping them.
    i pop out the shield room tunnel at an tech plant, I am greeted by the barrel of a lightning tank that is in the door.

The solution to spawn camping is to have you drop pod in on spawn and delete the spawn shack entirely.
    You can't camp if the enemy spawns randomly around the base.
    • Up x 7
  14. Worph

This. Is. Not. A. Good. Idea.

Make the capture go faster after the SCU is down. Or reduce the capture time by ~5 minutes for killing the SCU.

This system will make attacking much harder than it needs to be, when there's a big Zerg around.
    As long as 50+ people defend an AMP Station it's near impossible to hold the capture point, when the SCU is still up. If you NEED to stand on this capture point to be able to kill the SCU, it will be near impossible.

Also with the revamp of outposts it should be much easier to keep the fight going after the SCU is down.
    • Up x 10
  15. Jac70

Or put the SCU on a slower timer - you can still take it out but it may take a few minutes longer to go down. No dumbing down of game mechanics, more chance for the defenders to repair and regroup but if the base is completely overrun it won't just turn into some pointless stalemate grinder.
    • Up x 5
  16. Tommyp2006

This. Or, make it so taking down the SCU doubles the respawn timer. Removing the ability to take down the SCU until a certain point is just a bad bandaid. I don't think it will work out.
    • Up x 2
  17. Tanelorn

Bases need more things the attackers can do to affect the capture, not less. This will, as others are saying, just make it more of a spawn camp fest and concentrate the attackers more. It will mean way more attacker mass deaths to suicide LA C4 attacks, nade spam, etc. It will make the spawn room 1way shields even more OP.

Why do the devs want to funnel everyone into the same place? First alerts, then this, and soon lattice! (I like alerts but not the other two)
    • Up x 6
  18. DeltaGun

Wow, this was a really good idea. Kudos, devs!
  19. buff as hell irl

Because this game is ostensibly about giant battles, not ghost capping. Lattice forces giant battles to happen.

Maybe they could add minor objectives out in the neutral areas so that this style of play is still catered to a bit, but I can't say I'm not looking forward to the lattice.
  20. -Synapse-

I will almost never support artificial time limits. They make the game feel even more arcadey, and just plain aren't engaging. I'm fine with all these time limits being place holder mechanics, but I'd truly hate to see this as a final concept.
    • Up x 5