SCU Room Shields Adjustment

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by Kalyper, Apr 26, 2013.

1. HadesR

Done it myself .. and trust me 9/10 an Infi riding around popping Gen's and blowing SCU's isn't some deep tactical play. For the 10% it might effect I think its a good price to pay.

Looked at Indar map and 90% of Gen's behind the front lines are popped .. And those bases are not being prepped, they are to far from the action.
    And TBH if they go ahead with the adjacency idea as well ( not being able to interact with Gens unless you have adjacency ) then you will not be able to drop 6 hex's behind the front line to blow them anyway.
    • Up x 3
  2. Nichivo

I'd rather see SCU's converted to a BCU Base capture uplink that takes a cloaker to hack, and lowers base cap time. Meaning the spawns will be up until the base flips period.
  3. Pudgeinabowl

I'd prefer MORE secondary objectives rather than less, just sayin'.
    • Up x 3
  4. SizeDoesMatt

Good change! Increases complexity a bit ! Keep it coming!
  5. Whiteagle

True, but the bigger problem right now is that the SCU is the end-objective at Major Facilities.
    Pop that, and you've most likely won the Base, even if it takes hours for your Zerg to finally get there...
    This at least forces the Attackers to have the Base three-fourths flipped before removing the Defender's ability to Spawn.
    Plus, since it actually takes LONGER for the SCU to overload then you need to finish the Capture, taking out the SCU now only becomes an objective to break a particularly stubborn resistance.

Again, more Secondary Objectives would be nice, but we'll need more then "take down this Barrier" and "Take down their Spawns" as options...
  6. Pudgeinabowl

I agree with you on that the current scu/gen situation isn't particularly good, hopefully if they keep this change that will mean more space is freed up inside facilities to add in other secondaries, like a generator that controls the fire sprinklers in a biolab.

Just, something else needs to be there, with this we can push straight past the points and have a grand old time shooting at the spawn room for 3 minutes while the timer ticks down.
  7. Whiteagle

Of course, though I rather see more gradation in the sequence of infantry fighting for Major Facilities before they start adding 'gimmicky' extra objectives.
    Right now we just have one or two rough physical boundaries that at best do little more then prevent vehicles from intruding on infantry combat.
    For instance, I'd love to see basement levels added to the underside of Bio Lab domes and the Legs hollowed out into stairwells leading up to these levels, generating a much larger combat space that makes better use of its vertical area while also more directly tying the ground beneath the dome to the microcosm of a Base Fight contained within it.

As for Secondary Objectives, I've only seen one or two that would have anything meaningful to add to combat.
    One was Sphere of Influence based Jamming Antenna that would prevent Enemy Sunderers and Spawn Beacons from being deployed within a certain radius of the base.

Another is something I think will help prevent mass exploitation of the "Rush Lane's" Neutral Zones while also giving smaller Special Operations something to do to help their Empire overall; Radar Stations located in the Neutral Zones that give the controlling Faction a much clearer picture of Enemy Troop Densities within their detection radius.
    They'd basically be like the Heat Maps in the Original, but use the Micro Hexes instead of squares.
  8. Eugenitor

My jaw is on the floor. You're serious about this. You're taking out generators because people blow them up to stop spawns.

One of the most fundamental things to base any tactic worth the name around in a big fight, and you're taking it out.
    • Up x 3
  9. Whiteagle

They are taking out the Shield Generators so that the SCU can't be accessed until a Base has been flipped three-fourths of the way, yes...
    Mostly because they were being popped by XP ****** LONG before a fight over the Facility took place, leaving the Defenders unable to spawn because some Infiltrator had his jollies there three hours ago...
  10. WaRadius

That secondary objective was too primary. I hope they add more truly secondary objectives that will affect the attacking/defending process in a minor way.
  11. Nogrim313

so i thought the whole idea of the road map was to test the waters of player opinion? is that not where dumb **** like this should be floated first to see how people feel about i?

you guys (SOE) need to get your act together in terms of communication, your ***** all over the place, we have to watch three or 4 sources to have any idea wtf your planning or doing and then still get surprised by stupid changes no one wants

what is the point of even having official forums if none of the devs use them and instead host all meaningful info on twitter and reddit? why did you bother with the road map if your not going to use it to gauge opinion on changes?
    • Up x 4
  12. Foehunter

Lattice isn't the issue. PS1 had it. It worked fine. Ghostcapping's not the issue, either. The issue is with base layout. If you'd put the SCU and the SCU shield generator in an underground location that is not easy to access (especially with vehicles), you'd take care of the problem.

Also, many players enjoy the idea of infiltrating behind enemy lines to cause problems for the other two factions. Destroying generators and SCUs is one of those things. Granted, when generators and SCUs are destoyed, and the region is linked (with the Lattice System) there should be a notification that goes out to the owning team to let them know that something's going on at that base. Infiltrators should be allowed to hit the appropriate targets in advance of a full invasion. Frankly, this shouldn't even be considered an issue. It's called the Redeploy to Warp Gate Galdrop technique. I've seen it used to good effect by anyone who is serious about holding territory.

Big battles are cool and everything, and I agree that PS2 is about large battles, but there is a place for small squad infiltration units to do their thing, too. These infiltrators should not have their abilities limited because of the destroy, capture, abandon, repeat mechanic. That's the problem with the game right now. Teams want to be able to abandon territory without having to think about it later. This sort of thinking should not come into play until the bring in continent locking. Even then, it should be possible for infiltrators to cause trouble, but the likelihood of success would greatly decrease.

Tying the SCU shields to the timer is just a ridiculous way to handle it. As it stands, a defender can respawn at a nearby satellite location and bring a Sunderer to the damaged base and take care of the problem. A defending squad, even. There seems to be a big emphasis being placed on the "We would like to abandon the base and not worry about it" mentality. If everything is going to be tied to an artificial timer, then Planetside is looking too much like a generic capture and hold FPS.

More objectives need to be added to each base. Each base should be more defensible. Each base should be recaptureable if infiltrators can hit the appropriate objectives and hold the base long enough (as was possible in PS1). And every player needs to realize that if their team abandons a base, that the base could be attacked at any time.
    • Up x 3
  13. Chubrokoli

Maybe the infiltrator needs something like the sunderer and harasser have all in all his name is infiltrator not "sniper" or "jihaad smg guy"
  14. UKAvenger

funny u should mention that, this thread got revived from the dead (not by me)
  15. Eugenitor

So, wait, they're taking SCU shield generators out of the game because nobody could be bothered to repair them in three hours?

That's like cutting off your hand because your pinky might get splinters...

Tearing out the influence/point-standing system, OHK no-need-to-aim noob cannons, blinking lights on mines, lattice, and now this. Is there no level of dumbing down SOE won't go to? Who in God's name is this game even for anymore? This game is becoming less deep and interesting than games I played when I was 7 years old in the 80's. Are the people playing this really that dumb?

I'm sorry. I can't take this anymore. I enjoyed PS2, I really did, and I even had some great fun yesterday tearing apart noob squads alone, but when the devs start tearing out critical game features to make life easier for sheep, I feel personally insulted playing it. "Ha ha, you wanted to blow up their spawns? Forget that, you have to wait!" "Ha ha, you wanted freedom! Too bad! Lanes!"

I wonder what's new on Steam...
    • Up x 4
  16. Whiteagle

Don't let the door hit you on the way out!

It's not like Smart Players haven't already figured out the loophole...
  17. Foehunter

Yeah. The devs are taking the Planetside out of Planetside 2. Apparently some players (of the BF and COD variety) can't be bothered with driving a Sunderer to a friendly base to act as a temporary spawn point replacement for the spawn room until the SCU is repaired.

I've got news for you fellas, PS1 allowed the complete destruction of an enemy's base well behind enemy lines, followed up with a resource drain-based capture. It was very difficult to pull of, but it was possible. Removing this feature by tying the SCU shields to the cap point timer is just an act of dumbing down the game and making it lose depth. As it stands, the Infiltrator class serves little purpose. Removing this last feature of the class really only serves to make the class fully irrelevant. The other classes already hack terminals. The resource system is crap, rendering it impossible to deep capture. I'm sorry guys, but PS1 actually had deeper gameplay than this game. Eventually this game will be nothing more than a homogenized, glorified amalgamation of Tribes and Battlefield. I wouldn't be surprised if dolphin diving and grenade spamming are added in sometime in the next two years as actual gameplay features.
    • Up x 3
  18. Foehunter

Who are you to say the bases are not being prepped? The fact that the Infiltrators are popping the generators proves they are, even if it takes hours for the battle to get there.

Blowing the SCUs are not deep tactical play, but they are strategic targets. The fact that you want to dumb down the game only proves that this game isn't going to last half as long as PS1 did. PS1 was superior in many ways. You should research the game, if you haven't played it before. You'll find that popping these gens behind enemy lines served the purpose of creating a foothold. Tactically, no, it's not deep. But strategically...

Besides, the adjacency thing already exists in it's worse form in the game. I can't, for instance, hit a target miles from the action and take down the generators and perform a resource-drain capture. No. I have to wait for my team to actually get to the adjacent territories in order to begin a capture. This game is already just a pale imitation of the real Planetside. The devs should be trying to recapture the spirit of the original, and not mimic Battlefield, Call of Duty, or Tribes.
    • Up x 2
  19. ArcKnight

yeah cause the moment you exit the tunnels you are greeted by half a squad of enemies
  20. ArcKnight

there's one problem to this idea, defenders are toast if their outnumbered a 100 to 1