Players don't want meta game, they want a session based game.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Deladin, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Deladin

TRUTH

Players in this game DO NOT WANT any sort of meta game.

They ***** and complain on the forums otherwise, but there actions prove they could care less about meta game.
    Unless this meta game happens to reward more certs then they can farm from a biolab or amp station in a 5 hour period, they will ignore any meta game put in the game.

What players want, as proven by their actions, is a session based, CoD/BF3 like game. There is this giant continent, full of strategic gameplay, but most players will ignore it.

Here how the game plays out.

Each base is a "server" just like you find in CoD. All the other bases (servers) have zero value. As long as a player can maximize his cert gain in the current base, they have no reason to worry about the other bases. Just like in CoD, a player will play on a server as long as they are winning or getting XP. If they start to lose, they will then find a new server. but until then a player will gladly lose an entire continent, and get warp gated, just as long as the base they are farming in remains profitable. Why not, those other bases(servers) have no bearing on what the player REALLY wants, above ALL ELSE....the almighty CERT.

So players do not want a meta game.

THEY WANT CERTS...that is all. Certs, they don't give a **** about winning or losing. They would gladly lose an entire continent if it means maximizing certs. Yes the meta game right now is minimal, but it's there. Take a continent, WIN for a change, shove the other two empires off a continent. These things that are in contrast to a session based game. Before you ***** and complain about a lack of meta game...

TRY PLAYING THE ******* GAME FOR A CHANGE!!!

Cause the fact is, the vast majority of the players are not playing Planetside 2

they are playing a session based FPS where everything outside the current hex is non-existent and meaningless.

So SOE, before you even think about dumping any man hours on working out a meta game

FIX THE ******* CERT GAME first. Until you devalue the Almighty Cert, nothing and I mean NOTHING YOU DO will ever change how the game is currently played.
    • Up x 28
  2. pada0

The game only starts when there is nothing left to be certed on a character, then you go work on a second character I guess. It's the mmofps aspect of it.
    • Up x 2
  3. LonelyTerran

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    • Up x 3
  4. LordMondando

No your wrong, I want metagame big time. Number one complaint amongst organised community on miller is the lack of metagame.

Skinner box elements, unfortunately are unlikely to go anywhere.

None the less, needs to be something on top of that. Some large strategic narrative in which your actions make sense.
    • Up x 11
  5. Copasetic

Thing is if they do it right it's not hard to combine the zerg gameplay with the metagame. The zergers will go wherever the certs are, so it's easy to herd them over to objectives that need to be attacked or defended just by tweaking the XP gain there. Meanwhile the people who are into the metagame are directing all this and supporting the zerg with more strategic play. Both groups can be happy.

I'd love to go back to PS1's cert system but that's never going to happen, so there's no sense in complaining about it. The best we can hope for is to limit vehicles and classes through an extra layer of "super certs" that function like they did in PS1, but the underlying cert grind will always be there. It's what keeps all the MMS refugees hooked on the game.
    • Up x 3
  6. Maljas23

You sicken me. I mean really.. making an assumption this large discredits your thread for me. Planetside is a MMOFPS, not a COD/UT2004/TF2/CS:S. Get... out....

I want a META GAME.
    • Up x 10
  7. Zarth

Yeah I need meta game dude. I enjoy the current state of the game. More intel on wtf is going on. Like why can't a squad/platoon and say 3-4 people in an area to do this, they put something up that let's people get an invite to their platoon/squad.

More map stuff. instant action sucks right now and needs to get fixed. Along with a few other things in the map screen.
    • Up x 1
  8. cfnz

Devalue how?

What about an alternative, can you adequately incentivise the more strategic areas of the game?

Sure, but the difference is that you're speaking for yourself whereas the OP is generalising across the whole PS2 population.
    • Up x 1
  9. Cl1mh4224rd

OK, uhh... That's... That's not a healthy reaction to the opening post.

Deladin has a point. Earlier tonight, on Esamir, Mattherson, I observed exactly what he described. The VS all huddled into Mekala Tech Plant to defend it from the NC to the exclusion of all other territory. When called out on it, people will cynically claim that there's no point to doing anything else.

But they're not actually doing this because of the lack of a deep metagame. They're doing it because it's a "cert farm". There's no metagame that will break that kind of behavior.
  10. Primarkka

This does not apply for you, as you write to the forums. Actually, this does not apply to anyone who write to the forums...
  11. Emotitron

Ever considered we chase certs because there IS NO METAGAME? So really other than K/D and Certs... what is there in this game that has any longevity?
    • Up x 11
  12. LordMondando

We'll you've snookered yourself a bit by writing in the forums as well.
    • Up x 1
  13. HubschrauBaer

I dont want another session based game.... i really cant wait for the meta game to be implemented because the main focus of the game like it is now are the certs ( for the players ) and the base fights ( thats what devs think the main focus is ). The lattice system is only the first step into the right direction.
    • Up x 3
  14. Vapid

I think it's a pretty tall leap to say the vast majority of players don't want a meta game. For quite a few of them, this could be true, but the organized Outfits are all pretty vocal on their interest in meta game. So not sure where you're pulling these statistics from. If you can't prove it, it never happened. So make up generalizations based on your very, very focused perspective all you want - but know it won't earn you much positive attention.

When you generalize and herd people into a category, particularly if they are undeserved of such categorization, you lose a lot of credibility for your argument. And I actually -want- to agree with you. Unfortunately, you make a poor example of the argument -for- metagame and serve to just slander everyone and anyone with tall assumptions and fake statistics.
    • Up x 2
  15. Cl1mh4224rd

People believe that continent locking is metagame, but that's also session-based gameplay. Once your team has captured all the points on the map, you've "won" that particular session. Base captures are session-based gameplay, too.
    • Up x 1
  16. Kon

i miss auraxium back when it was auraxium gained per 1000xp you earned or something it was good, the move to certs was not for omfg auraxium sucks it was pure business.. they wanted people to choose between char advancement or items and they wanted boosts to be directly linked to char advancement
  17. Maljas23

You don't seem to understand. Once there is a meta game that encourages you to do something other than farming, farming will not exist. Why would you farm if the rewards are BETTER if you don't? That is what a metagame is for. The lattice system in PS1, while not a direct example, IS indeed a good example for what Im talking about.

PS: If the OP wants a session based game, go play one of the many that are currently out there. The whole point of Planetside(1 and 2) is to fight massive battles, anywhere on the map.

PSPS: My reaction was spot on to the OP's post.

*edit*: Look at it like this: Techincally, you could FARM your way up to max level in World of Warcraft by simply killing monsters of your current level, over and over again. However, that is not the most efficient way to level now is it? Those who quest will reach the same goal, at a much faster pace.
    • Up x 1
  18. SizeDoesMatt

19. Maljas23

Once there is a real reason to NOT farm certs, people won't farm certs. Cont locks will help, but once we have a real objective in gameplay, farming won't exist.
    • Up x 1
  20. Zotamedu

There is a meta game but you and many others are too narrowminded to see it. You only see certs.