Official Lancer Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by RadarX, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Blitzkrieg

An outfit mate pulled up this very interesting video.

• Up x 1
  2. Joram

I agree, is the most important thing that needs to be changed to made the Lancer viable IMO, but seems like the dev team dont think the same way.

Matthew Higby@mhigby
    Lancer going to get reduction to charge time, range increase, decreased dmg falloff, ability to hold charge at level 3 for a few seconds
  3. phaZor

Honestly, after using it, I don't think it needs more damage or less charge time, the low TTK is supposed to be the trade off for killing tanks at range. However, as it is now, it's so incredibly inefficient at playing it's 'strength' that it fills absolutely no niche. What kind of ranged weapon has a 1-2x scope, damage fall off, and low accuracy... What they need to do is increase the hard range cap, remove or reduce the damage falloff, and provide better (maybe 2.5x?) scopes, and get rid of the COF and the lancer will actually do what it's supposed to do.
    However, I'm afraid they're gonna overbuff it and in addition to making the lancer viable at range, will lower the TTK too much. We don't want TTK, that's not what our trait is, so please look into accuracy and scope buffs instead of charge time Higby!
    • Up x 2
  4. Roy Teppert

Okay, so after trialing the Lancer, I'm sold. This thing definitely has potential. On paper it doesn't seem so great, but put it into the hands of an organized outfit and it will be devastating- especially for defensive operations like holding chokepoints, ambushing armor columns, etc. A single lancer is nothing special, but have a squad or two using the thing together and it will be unstoppable.
    • Up x 1
  5. Xasapis

Your squad is better off with annihilators at long range and decimators at close range.

I do like how people desperately try to make the weapon viable, despite it's shortcomings and despite the other, more obvious, choices.
    • Up x 4
  6. Adeon

Matthew Higby @mhigby
    @Monglor yeah, varying the projectile speed with charge level is something that we've been talking about.

LoLwhat?:eek: Various shot correction? Nooo! Enough to create a weapon that is difficult to use.
    • Up x 1
  7. NDroid

Agreed, if they plan on lowering the projectile speed for charged short in order to "balance" it, that would not be a good idea. The weapon already has enough issues that make it problematic in its supposed niche- long range AV combat. Both the CoF and the high damage degradation make it far less viable than just using lockons, it needs improvement in those areas without added nerfs.
  8. teks

We all know how higby is afraid of the VS. If he gives us a real lancer hes legitimately afraid we will never let him leave the warpgate. You can give the NC pretty much anything and it'll be balanced in their hands but they need months of debate before giving us anything because were too prone to own.

Every time the poor guy tries to showcase a weapon against the vs he gets owned, normally by the same player, over and over until he finally needs to hit record stop and make a quick hot fix that breaks our mags or something. Then he can finally record and...oh wait, still owned.

Its a big problem for all the devs and they are looking into it.
  9. C0L0NELH0GAN

Math is not your strongest skill, or?
    Yes, it is roughly on par with the others on 100m BUT very roughly on 300m!

300m range (100m range)
    Striker:
    Lightning front: ~31,5 sec (~29,5 sec)
    Lightning rear: ~17 sec (~16 sec)
    Sunderer: ~30,5 sec (~28,5 sec)

Phoenix:
    Lightning front: ~41 sec (~25 sec)
    Lightning rear: ~18 sec (~10 sec)
    Sunderer: ~50,5 sec (~32,5 sec)

Lancer:
    Lightning front: ~41,5 sec (~32,5 sec)
    Lightning rear: ~20,5 sec (~9,2 sec)
    Sunderer: ~51,5 sec (~34,5 sec)

Lightning front about 30% longer TTK than Striker
    Lightning rear slower but on par with Striker
    Sunderer about 66% longer TTK than Striker

AND as the Threatopener said, he had to do the Lancer flic 6 times due to charging errors (ok those are Bugs) and due to the RANDOM COF which can't be countered so hitting is like Roulette!

I may also quote another silly post from you:
    You have do differ "tried to farm" and "farm" infantry - VS/NC TRIED TO FARM infantry, while TRs Prowler FARMED infantry!
    The Reason you got only 574 kills in Prowler from 27,5 hours of use is maybe your skill, I don't know?!

Please troll elsewhere!
  10. Mxiter

Also don't forget that the lancer is almost instand and just need to stay exposed 1 sec wheras the striker need to be exposed much more time and can be countered.

TTK isn't everything, especiall about AV/AA

exaple: Decimator have the best DPS/TTK than every weapons. But just perform against tanks to 0 to 75-100m.
  11. XRIST0

The lancer is a piece of rubbish , it is good for nothing .. sure you can snipe tanks from a distance but the damage is horrible and the accuracy is even worse . You can be aiming right at the target and not even get a hit marker ?

Higby says this is the best launcher hahaha good joke mate .

This weapon needs a serious BUFF , FIX IT ASAP ! Not happy with the purchase .

Reduce the charge time by half and increase the damage , it is a joke the way it is now . 6 seconds to fully charge , and you miss the target anyway or it does hopeless damage .

I hate it , sorry .
    • Up x 1
  12. C0L0NELH0GAN

Random COF also cannot be countered ;)
    But also with the lancer you have to stay exposed for more than a second, because the fully charged projectile holds its charge for only a second before firing - so you have to ADS, begin to charge and shortly after that you have to expose to aim and all this before the third charge. This is Pro-Tactics because all this has to happen within 4-5 Seconds to have 2 seconds for aiming and firing. So I think the casual Lancer User will stay exposed about 4-5 seconds at least!

My replay to Jachim happend due to his answer, that Striker AND Lancer are at even numbers...

Not everything, but certainly important! More important is the random COF on larger range, which make the Lancer lame against the other!!! What also counts for a point on a larger TTK as the numbers above

Aunt Edit said: As Higby twittered. They also have data in wich they see that the Lancer sucks. Thats why he announced some buffs on it next week
    • Up x 1
  13. C0L0NELH0GAN

For those who don't had the info on Higbys Tweet yesterday:

Also a comment to the Charge in Hip and then going into ADS
  14. Adeon

I repeat, what are the things IMO are necessary to make Lancer normal weapon:
    1) point accuracy for first zoomed shot
    2) current CoF for several dumbfire shots
    3) dumbfire shots deals 20% full charged shots (as now)
    4) three charge levels: 33%, 66%, 100%
    5) the same charging time for each level
    This will make the use of weapon are flexible and convenient.

I do not know in which case the higher damage per minute. When firing a dumbfire shots or charged. If shooting dumbfire shots deals more dpm, than charged, the charge time should be reduced to equality or higher dpm.
    • Up x 6
  15. bNy_

I've said it before, I say it again... The Lancer is terrible.
  16. C0L0NELH0GAN

I have to correct you: The Lancer is terrible on range (above 100m)
    But I think a Rocketlauncher shouldn't be used for Close Combat, thats the point!

Don't mind the increase of range as Higby twittered! Why increase its range when you cannot hit hardly anything beyond 300m???
    What we need is 500m Range (think that is it atm) with NO COF while ADS
  17. teks

I have to correct you. What we need is a dev that actually plays VS :eek::eek::eek:

Actually I agree, but don't forget the damage dropoff. thats the real killer. Right now even if you hit its laughable.
  18. Xasapis

Guys, guys you got it all wrong. The lancer is great, you just don't know how to use it. Here's a commercial I made to entice our side to use it and to inform the enemy of the real benefits of the weapon:

"For all your vehicle's unwanted hair growth problems, VS performs laser hair removal operations at a minimum fee. If you register for bikini area trimming of your favorite vehicle, we'll perform the nozzle hair trimming for free."
    • Up x 1
  19. C0L0NELH0GAN

@teks: I can deal with a damage drop off, as long I have a chance to hit on 100% on LOS. If there is no drop off, I will also have no problem with it :cool:

@Xasapis: Nice, but you have to add "No money return because the lack of aiming possibility granted by the Cuttersystem"
  20. StrikerKOJ

Remove charge-up.
    Distribute damage evenly among the 6 rounds.
    "Balance" from there.

They are trying so hard to make this weapon "unique", when it's really not necessary. The fact that it's a "laser" and not a missile is already unique compared to the other two empires. Why does it need some gimmicky mechanic (charge up), when it is causing nothing but hassle.

Things wrong with the charge-up so far (based on comments devs indicating changes being considered):
    • Laser graphic showed 3 rounds instead of 1
    • Cannot charge and then scope
    • Cannot hold charge long enough to warrant holding as a positive
    • "Bullet" speed not ideal
    • Wonky hit registration (may be unrelated to charge up)

To me, it seems like many of those problems could have been avoided if they made the lancer a 6-round AV rifle.
    • Up x 2