Official Phoenix Launcher Thread

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by RadarX, Mar 22, 2013.

1. AzK

The functionality to blow the rocket mid air by clicking left mouse is missing and should be added, having to wait the whole traveling time (unless you can crash into something) in case you missed your target is annoying, just as it's annoying to not be able to get out of the camera mode right away as you take damage.

It could use a dumbfire mode, same as the original. Why doesn't it have it?

Could use a bit more steering sensitivity, aiming for targets at closeish / mid range is impossible at times unless you're setting up the shot with the target in your crosshair already, which sorts of the defeat the entire purpose of the weapon.

The range is a bit too low, could use an extra 50-100 meters

I find it sort of hilarious that it can one hit infantry without flak armor, but unless you plan to make the rockets ultra sensitive and controllable to really be a beast against vehicles i think the one hitting of infantry needs to stay cause honestly, without it, the weapon would feel rather useless right now and i would never use it over another launcher.
  2. PS2Freak

unable to hit hoovering air!

"burst forward or up and the phoenix can't turn fast enough to course correct"
    and that by minimal hovering speed movement!

agility/ control over first 100meters / range is what i miss very much.

launcher doesnt justify it purchase in my case.

this weapon is so useless, imo right now, i hardly can describe the feel i get for paying 7€ for it.. no words.

please, fix it to usable form, please! (or some sort of cert abbilites)
    • Up x 2
  3. Torok

Press E while piloting the missile, Enjoy
  4. TeknoBug

The Phoenix doesn't chase moving vehicles very well, otherwise it's good against stationary infantry and vehicles (and turrets), I have yet to land a hit on a moving tank or sunderer, I was able to no problems with PS1's Phoenix.
  5. PS2Freak

but this game is Dynamic, and not stationary.. that the beef i have with the phoenix right now. agility is not finetuned fine enough
  6. metrotw

higby specifically said this weapon would not one shot infantry and would have a negative damage modifier against them.

it clearly one shot infantry.

lie much higby?
    • Up x 1
  7. drNovikov

Well, it was supposed to do more damage to Air than a Shrike. Shrike pretty much oneshots Mozziez. Phoenix requires 3 rockets.
  8. Tragachinos

Yeah, I killed the same TR engi about 10 times in a row. He respawns, walks back and sets his turret at the same place he died only to recieve blue shiny freedom in the face few seconds later. It's a shame servers went down, I wanted to know how many deaths he would need to learn that setting up that turret there is a bad idea...
  9. Cloaking

He just learned to accept that no matter where he stands, there will always be an NC with a phoenix hiding behind a rock just around the corner

Enjoy it while it lasts :p
    • Up x 1
  10. Nakor

After using the phoenix for several hours I think is pretty close to where it needs to be. The damage against infantry and ground targets feels good. Normally I don't like OHK weapons because they deny you the chance to react to an attack, but its pretty easy to dodge and shoot down so I don't feel like its too OP. Mostly its good for taking out people that are standing still. I really enjoy the fact that I can run down vehicles with it. I was able to finish off quite a few tanks that would have gotten away otherwise.

It does have a few issues -besides the glitches which are supposedly being fixed by this morning's maint.

1) People have been asking for more range, but it wouldn't really help because your render distance is tied to your player, not the missile. It would be nice if targets didn't suddenly disappear and become invulnerable to damage while my missile is in mid-flight. Dunno if its possible to lock render distance to the missile while its in use, but that would be better.

2) The phoenix's performance against aircraft is pathetic. -multi part gripe here.
    a) The turning speed on the missile is so freaking slow that a HOVERING liberator can accelerate out of the way without AB and dodge the missile.
    b) The missile's velocity is identical to the cruising speed of liberators and mosquitoes. If they are not hovering or flying straight at you, you can not catch them with the missile. If they are flying perpendicular to you, you can catch them, but you have to fire the missile so far ahead of them that they are off the screen of your missile and you have no way to track them. It might as well be dumbfire in this case.
    c) The damage is terrible. It would take 3 of these things to actually pop an ESF. This thing isn't even a deterrent to stock ESFs let alone lolpodders. They can just eat your missile and then blow you away and still have enough health to escape the area without too much trouble.

3) Mouse acceleration: I know that you use this to varying degrees on all the vehicles, and frankly I don't care why. Find another way to balance the game. Mouse acceleration is crap. Artificially castrating your player's ability to control the game by making their mouse move like a drunken hobo retching in a gutter does not improve my game play experience.

4) Its really easy to shoot the missile down. Its not much of an issue yet, but once people start to get used to having it in the game I think you are going to see the phoenix fall into disuse for the simple fact that people will just start shooting them all down after they see somebody launch one.
    • Up x 1
  11. N0008918

Lol. I guess about 100. But those are the guys that will eventually get this thing nerfed.
  12. N0008918

The people would disappear but the tanks would still be there. And a rocket launcher is not ment for shooting people in face.although ir´s fun to do so.
  13. Astealoth

pheonix is kind of silly. it has about the same functionality as a sniper rifle. good against infantry at range but not terribly useful for anything else. i think it's maneuverability should be buffed and it's damage vs infantry should be nerfed. make it more useful against vehicles and a little less useful against infantry so people can and will use it for it's described purpose.
  14. RealRook

It needs to be more maneuverable, too sluggish now
  15. WetPatch

And maybe this painted on to the tip of the Rocket

[IMG]

Or instead of Whhoooooosssssss sound effect it can keep repeating Hug me Hug me Hug me Hug me Hug me Hug me
  16. PLooschacK

It is a very good launcher. As soon as the problem of "dumbfire" gets fixed, it will be a "winner" ESML. Manuevurable enough to adjust flight trajectory, and not agile enough to fire on short ranges or around the corners. I belive two things would make it perfect:
    1) Player should have information about the distance. Either way - it can be distance he already flied with the rocket or how long till the fueal runs out.
    2) Slight increase in maximum range.
    • Up x 1
  17. Marseee

I was looking forward to the Pheonix but after trying it out I won't be getting it unless it gets some attention. Slow, sluggish and not very effective against armour.
  18. UKAvenger

Love the reload animation, models alright once you get over it not looking drastically different from the standard model.
    Like the fact that the shot colours on these weapons are empire specific.

Do not like the inverted control. You aim as you normally would but when you fire your vertical axis is inverted. Doesnt seem right to me and is very off putting.

Please add the option to manually detonate the missile when guiding. If its AV splash damage is poor, beef it up or increase its radius a touch.

Feels like it has an initial kick (though this could be part of the visuals your fixing) whereby control is difficult at short range. Not suggesting make it easy to guide from the off as it might become too good and render other launchers redundant but...

Perhaps slow its launch speed a touch so you can move it a bit easier to begin with, then let it accelerate to its top speed?

General control isn't as simple as i might have assumed, might just take getting used to (all for learning to use guns) but it can be hard to hit a moving target due to the sensitivity it has. Feels like it would be like aiming a plane with my DPI maxed, imprecise so you have to be gentle to make refined aiming - but this means if something moves a bit, reacquiring it can be tough. I think its turn speeds are alright, i just personally don't like the sensitivity. (practice makes perfect though)

I feel it moves too fast? I would like say 50m+ more range however i think maybe if it had a slower speed in general it might be better. Its current speed also means its hard to shoot down? tried it in VR and found it very hard to.

Definitely more feasible to hit targets at say 200-300m, the limits of its range.

Crouch fire issue already raised.

Sorry cant give a proper opinion on damage but i think its alright, AA damage is fine (certainly if control is made a bit easier) and AV damage seems reasonable from what ive seen. Though as people have mentioned and i have seen sometimes it appears to clip through your target.

Do not think it should kill infantry in one hit, and i am NC! If it did say 650dmg to infantry (knock their shield out and damage some health), it might make people reconsider hitting infantry with it. It is an anti vehicle weapon after all is it not? I have got far more infantry kills than vehicle kills so far. Instead of making the other 2 ES launchers more viable for infantry killing, reduce this things ability to. (unless the Striker and Lancer are poor at AI damage in which case, beef them up).

I know a lot of people moan about these guns but they are not supposed to make the other weapons redundant, they are supposed to simply fulfill a role and not be straight upgrades. (yea?) I like it, it allows you to deal damage from cover and different angles its just the control of it feels a tad off to me, maybe i just need more practice. Good weapon.
  19. Acer

does not need a infantry damage nerf. practically every launcher one shots a infantry. and there is no use of this thing in cqc bop labs etc. it excells at stuff like ti alloy and the crown where there is open area plus cover. I got sniped several times while using this thing. I even got knifed and c4 while using it cause you dont pay any attention to your surroundings as your trying to drive this thing.

last night i was shot more than i shot and killed people with this thing. Its a fun toy and its good for supression, but you leave your self open for attacks and if you die in mid flight you lose the rocket.
  20. Copasetic

Why not? You only need to quickly tap mouse 2 before shooting for it to work, you don't even have to wait for the ADS animation to finish. It's basically hip fireable just like the other rocket launchers so just blast people in the face with it.