What is with all the constant hate of the Infiltrator ans obsession with anti-armor weapons?

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Ztiller, Jan 30, 2013.

1. DarthGoogle

Works best when combined.
    Not all of them are in game, but we have:
    IRNV/Thermals.
    IFF device.
    Plain visual detection.

And Stalker cloak in beta would remove your primary weapon. So only pistol with four clips total and knife.

If they would add some new toys for the engineer besides useless MANA turret, i would be happy.
    I would rephrase from "I want Stalker cloak for infiltrator" to "I want improved stealth mechanics for infiltrator".
  2. Dr. Euthanasia

What you two are describing and what I saw in that video are worlds apart. It's unlikely that the experience could be conveyed through a third-person perspective anyways, but that was still a pretty poor example if the purpose was to convince anyone that PS1's cloak was more enjoyable than PS2's.

One thing I would kill for about what I saw, though, is the transition of your visibility being smooth rather than delayed, and it being directly influenced by your movement rather than cut into crude stages which are wholly inadequate for the purposes of moving unseen.
  3. Wobberjockey

so just for the hell of it i have been playing the following

LA w/ Pulsar-C using a lasersight/6x scope/High Velocity ammo/silencer +C4
    hipfire full auto for CQC. single shot for longer ranged headshots.

basically i've been playing it from the mindset of an infiltrator but with the tools of a LA.

and it is about 10x more effective. i stalled the 85% complete cap of hvar pretty much single handedly for 5 minutes, as well as took out the SCU gen, flipped the point twice, took out 2 maxes, and 3 tanks. if i had a second brick of C4, i probably could have done better, as i could have done a better job taking out their sunderer.

i could NEVER have pulled that on my infiltrator. and when i realized that, i had to go pour myself a stiff drink
  4. Scan

The hate is caused by having have presented with a class that is about stealth, sabotage, and Intel gathering, but getting told : " no you aren 't allowed, go snipe"

I am quite capabele of killing lots and lots of people with the current tools, but ultimately I only wish I was able to
    Do more inside confined areas, opposed to just kill people with a suppressed bolt-action out doors.

We are fine in the open field. Even more so, but the cloaking device really becomes q liability in closed spaces with alot if enemies.
  5. Nimas

Dr. E, I agree with you that if stalker cloak was put in right now, there is a significant possiblity it could be a problem. While it probably woudln't be overpowered in respect to the game, I expect that other classes would find it an anaethema. They would just feel like they couldn't do anything, and only could locate an infiltrator when they screwed up.

This wouldn't be entirely true, but it is how they would feel about it. Honestly I'd be very happy for additional (although I'd prefer to shift IR/NV away from stealth detection because its too obvious a choice atm) counters to be included. I actually liked the idea of making the flashlight disrupt the cloak for X seconds that we (probably you/others) thought up in the other thread.
  6. giltwist

I know, right? I'm super tempted to switch all my certs over to LA when the cert resets come out. There are two things that really sold it for me:

1. As an infiltrator, I can hand my Empire an entire Tech Plant single-handedly, but the Empire isn't interested in capitalizing on my infiltration: http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...ure-i-want-to-keep-maining-infiltrator.85667/
    2. The most successful I've ever been as an infiltrator is in finally trying the weapon I considered the least appropriate for the class: http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...handbook-infiltration-101.69873/#post-1112436
  7. DarthGoogle

Yeah. The video is poor in terms of demonstrating stealth mechanics of PS1. It is, however, does some job at showing what PS1 infils were capable of.

Consider it a "frag movie"
  8. Playful Pony

The Infiltrator is likely the only class where I can end a play session with a high kill count, and not having died once. Once the SMGs are out it'll be perfectly possible to do some serious damage in CQC too. Stick a supressor on that!
  9. beta alpha nu

My opinion is that in the current vehicle dominated meta-game, Infiltrators are stuck as the only class unable to harm vehicles. Fortunately, the latest patch has given them an actual way to contribute to Vehicleside 2, since they are the class best suited to eliminating annihilator batteries.
  10. Captain9653

I'm still only new, but the only problem with Infiltrating so far is the cloak sound. I'm quite happy with it when i'm sitting back sniping, but when i'm trying to sneak into a base, the sound is a nightmare. I can use all the cover in the world, but that one moment I need to pop my cloak, EVERYONE seems to know where I am. Im not too worried about CQC (Though SMG's will be nice), When i'm in the enemies base i'm more worried about terminals so I can deploy a sunderer than rambo'ing every enemy I come across.

Possibly solution: Keep cloak as a equip item for snipers but give it a cert that changes it in to a disguise like the spy in Team Fortress 2 that doesn't have an activation sound. (It can still last for 12 seconds)
  11. albeido

unfortunatly this video doesnt highlight its weaknesses only its strengths. 90% of players had darkvision implant. and once turned it was a free kill. what is shown in the video is him killing noobs. now alot of infil used the c4 because of its instant kill qualities (we called them boomers). in ps1 it took quite alot of effort to kill someone TTK was pretty high. but alot of other infiltrators would use pistol and knife combo. also keep in mind he is stalking stray units and not engaging squads, because most likely one or more of them would be using their darkvision to clear a room of infiltrators. the base layout was alot different and there were telling signs if an infiltrator was in the room as long as the infiltrator wasnt actually crouching behind crates and even then experienced players knew to check there. some wouldnt bother with darkvision and would just shoot suspicious areas as taking damage would make you visible for a bit.

also as one other player mentioned mosquitos (which were more of a light scout aircraft) had radar and spoting functions and would automaticly highlight any invisible targets that were within its sight.

it was a VERY well balanced system and you HARDLY ever could stealth around with impunity.

if you havent played ps1 you prolly dont get whats going on in that video. trust me if you tried it for even a day youd rage about what they did to butcher ps2.
    • Up x 1
  12. Dr. Euthanasia

I already rage about PS2's cloak. I don't need to have played with what it used to be to appreciate how objectively bad it is now.
  13. Jests

It's true, he does rage :D

Well, like I said, I didn't know the counters... I just know that the video was put up as an example of what a good stealth system was and it looked like **** to me :p I can only call them as I see them ;)
  14. ArcKnight

how many times must we say this, the only thing infiltrators can do that other classes can't do is "sniping" , we want to infiltrate and sabotage enemy operation which is impossible because all we have is a sniper rifle, a pistol, a cloaking unit with a loud speaker, glow in the dark spandex, suppressors would be useful if they weren't terribly effective, scout rifles, EMP grenades ( even without HUD the enemy can still own you ), decoy grenades aren't much of a diversion unless your dealing with someone whose a slow learner, RDD doesn't last long enough, SMG is only for CQC, the cloak runs on batteries ( i speculate the glowing spandex drains power quickly )

in short all we have that is good for sabotage is terminal hacking and AP mines which isn't much

you say you have videos, so post them so we can see them
  15. ArcKnight

the infiltrator is deadly because it's nothing more than a sniper who got a lower grade cloaking unit from the predators movies, we wwant other stuff to do other than sniping ( bolt actions are 1 shot headshot kills, its not the class that's deadly just the weapon )
  16. ArcKnight

i never played PS1 but it only took me 30mins to realized how handicapped this class is
  17. ArcKnight

if he doesn't we can't help him, tbh i'm waiting for PS1 to get F2P
  18. Ztiller

I have 4 videos of plain gameplay. And i have already posted these videos on these forums, and in this thread. Just search for Infiltration Carnage on youtube.

19. Pengalor

Only got halfway through the first video. The people you are playing against are awful, pretty much what I expected from your responses in this thread so far. You ran right in front of half of them uncloaked, the other half either COMPLETELY missed you decloaking 2 feet behind them or saw you running cloaked and couldn't aim worth a damn. This shows less what the class is capable of and more the quality of the players you are facing.
    • Up x 2
  20. Jests

They weren't awful they were average. Playing an infiltrator well, and outsmarting the other players, makes them look like fools. An important part of infiltrating is capitalizing on the fact that they aren't expecting you, which is what he's been saying this whole time. Those NC probably aren't cream of the crop, but to say that they're all mouth-breathing ***** is missing the point.