[Suggestion] Remove XP for SCU & Terminal Destruction.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Eyeklops, Jan 28, 2013.

1. orthus2

except attackers once they get onto the point they mostly don't bother with keeping the gens or turrets down
  2. Ayabe

Wait, what? Farming certs to remain competitive? Competitive with who, yourself? Sure it's nice to have 3 extra rounds in that rotary but it isn't required to be competitive, you are not gimped without it or whatever.

Come on man, farming is never required unless you want to maintain that K/D - which is what it's all about for those people.
  3. Eyeklops

It's not about the objective, it's about the entertainment.
    Ask yourself what is more fun:
    1. Killing the SCU standing around waiting for the base to cap.
    2. Battling it out with the defenders until the base caps.
  4. wowie

1000 cert vulcan is pretty much required to make the prowler useful...
  5. Divinorium

1. Killing the SCU standing around waiting for the base to cap.

you want a endless death match/conquer the flag. you are playing the wrong game.
  6. Eyeklops

This isn't about bio-labs, they have their own problems. It's about rewarding players for ending a fight.
  7. Iksniljiksul

We should not be playing for "good battles" but to advance territory. This should become a war game not a boring team death match game.

We had outfits in PS1 that would actually protect the enemy spawn to farm xp. They would harass and team kill anyone who was trying to play the game the way it was meant to be played. That behavior is an exploit and is exactly the same mentality as cheating.
  8. Eyeklops

Incorrect. It's about reducing downtime of the action.
  9. Eyeklops

Yea, that's another problem for a different thread. SCU shield gen should be much closer to the spawns.
  10. Eyeklops

Not about farming or "harvesting." I am just sick of sitting around with nothing to do while a base caps because the SCU was blown. If the new spawn rooms fix this problem then I will consider this thread null/void.
  11. Badgered

If they should do anything with regards to XP (other than increasing gains all-around to the same rate as double XP events) they should completely remove (or greatly reduce) individual kill XP and instead dramatically increase the XP gained for destoying/capturing objectives and defending/capturing bases for everyone in the base area rather than the immediate 10 meter diameter or the sole person who was the fastest to hit E.

For example, in PS1 you gained XP rewards based on the length of a fight, amount of objectives hit/resupplied (NTUs), and the amount of overall carnage. The winning side won more, but the losers went home happy as well. This system gave attackers the incentive to capture a base as quickly as possible while murdering as many people as possible while giving defenders to exterminate the invaders and defend their base. The current XP system in PS2 gives players the incentive to kill ***** and ghost cap when they can't kill *****.

A team-based game should provide team-based incentives, not selfish fishbowl FPS-style incentives.
    • Up x 1
  12. Eyeklops

Just another symptom of giving XP for anti-tactical behavior. The XP should come from killing players/vehicles, capping, and repairing.
  13. Ebil_Piwat

Absolutely not. If anything they need to increase experience for non-farming, non-kill the other guy behavior.

Problem is there is no 'real' Meta-game, and the experience rewards killing players more so than attaining objectives. Like taking down the SCU

PS2 is Supposed to be about territory gain warfare. Hence in future updates they are addressing this. EXP for AA MAX's to damage / drive off air. Continent lock outs, etc.

The SCU is an objective to taking control of an enemy base. Farming them at a spawn room is not.

As for the OP's comment that a down SCU ends the fight quickly, I disagree. We were in a massive fight that lasted over an hour defending a base, not a Bio, but a Tech plant. Our SCU went down, and we quickly re-deployed back to the gate. Grabbed 2 Gal's, and loaded up. We flew back, and dropped one Gal on the roof, and the second retook the SCU, and relieved pressure on the spawn room.

Re were able to retake the base, through quick reaction, teamwork, and tactics. not simply tossing grenades from the spawn room.
  14. NoctD

:rolleyes: Same difference really. You just want a constant stream of warm bodies to kill.

Makes me wonder though why people spawn camp spawn rooms. If you want real fights, make them leave the safety of those shields, and let them come out and play! Destroying the SCU is actually supposed to be an incentive for them to come defuse it, but that won't happen if you camp them. SCU compromised, SCU stabilized, generator compromised, generator stabilized. Ever had those battles? They're a whole lot more fun.
  15. Arreo

Exactly, and frankly I think that taking a facility with it's infrastructure intact should be an accomplishment that is celebrated instead of greeted with annoyance. I play Engy almost exclusively and I've had teammates TK me just so they don't have to share the XP repairing the generators.

Or the constant destruction of vehicle/air/infantry terminals. The base is 75% capped, there is no opposition and there are people going around shooting clips into the terminals so that they can repair them when the base flips. It's ridiculous that the game rewards that kind of behavior.

Imagine if the instead the game rewarded bonus XP for how intact the facility was when it was capped. Imagine using a shield-ignoring Sundie to slip into a base and cap it from the inside without damaging it and being rewarded for the skill it takes to do that. Or how about getting bonus XP for having intact or hacked terminals when the base flips...
    • Up x 1
  16. Talizzar

This is actually a failure of the Game. To most players they really have no idea what these things do. Is there any training teaching new players that the SCU or spawn control unit is what allows the defenders to continue to spawn in the spawn room? NO. Is it clear from the maps what the generators do? When zergs come in the order is given to kill them all so most people don't understand that there could be tactical reasons to ensure that a specific generator is NOT taken down like mentioned above.

You should be able to zoom in on maps and maps should have connecting lines signifying the devices, shields, etc that the generator effects.

As for the farming....Sometimes the farm must be plowed under for the next growing season......
  17. Arreo

Now, I'm not addressing the SCU because I think that you should actually be more rewarded for taking that down. That is directly degrading the ability of the enemy to fight back. Just as destroying a vehicle terminal that they are using to spawn MBTs from is a tactical decision. Or destroying the manned AA turrets. Etc, etc...

I just want to think up a way to limit the free for all destruction that takes place after the battle is won but before the facility is capped.
  18. Eyeklops

LOLWUT? Without "good battles" you would have no infantry with which to take territory. The more downtime infantry is forced to deal with the less attractive the game becomes to many of us. Many times the SCU goes down it wouldn't have changed the outcome of fight other than making it more boring.
  19. Eyeklops

On the roadmap was a topic about killing the SCU increasing the spawn timer instead of disabling the spawns. Everybody is voting against it. The reason I bring this up is because when the SCU goes down, too many players will not leave the spawn and attempt repair it. If destroying the SCU only increased the spawn timer, more players would attempt to push out and fix the SCU, hence more fighting, less standing around camping/reverse camping.
  20. NoctD

I saw that - I thought it was a good idea. Killing the SCU the way it stands today does end the fight too early.

Those old tech plants were something else, it wasn't easy to disable them so you had quite some fights with those. I still really want them to be like that again, not this new nonsense stuff they gave us with game update 1.