[Suggestion] Remove XP for SCU & Terminal Destruction.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Eyeklops, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Eyeklops

In PS1 I never understood why players would blow up the generator prematurely end a good battle. In PS2 there are XP bonuses for killing an inanimate object that essentially kills the fight. The SCU should really be called "an off switch for fun."

IMO, there are right times, and wrong times to kill the SCU & Terminals based upon the tactical situation, but because they are so easily accessible and worth XP, players always kill them. Giving XP for killing these items promotes anti-tactical, and sometimes in the case of the SCU, anti-fun, behavior. It might be a good idea to remove XP for the SCU shield generator too. Remove all XP incentive down the "kill the SCU" path.
  2. Divinorium

... because the objective of this game is take the base and not kill people?
    • Up x 9
  3. orthus2

explain more please?

I'm not seeing how not destroying the scu helps captures a base
    • Up x 1
  4. Fivetide

No they should make the game more about strategy, taking bases and winning, and less about farming certs.
    Sadly thats unlikely to happen as long as this is a f2p game.
  5. Sinoby

I eould rather go to another extreme and will suggest tripple xp for scu. Too msny people are just farming in biolabs, too scared of pushing to the SCU.
    • Up x 3
  6. NoctD

Hint - it involves farming. ;)
  7. Dusty El Lion

The OP must be upset that the Bio-farm came an end. Seriously dude, the objective is to capture the base, what does the SCU do allow your opponents to make a efficient defense. If your complaining the battle is over too quickly blame the defenders for not defending the SCU. Hell the shield generator is often right next to the damn capture point.
  8. wowie

I'd rather have an XP bonus if you managed to take a facility without destroying much/anything,
    e.g. most turrets are left standing and only 1 or two gens are down. Call it a "clean capture" bonus.

Leave the destruction bonuses as is.
    • Up x 1
  9. Divinorium

And make ghost capturing even more "rewarding", if people can call this crap a reward.

NO.
  10. ColonelScar

Why would you remove XP gain from anything?
  11. Spookydodger

Depends on if you like kicking puppies or not. Usually by the time someone gets to the SCU to destroy it, that means the enemy was getting camped. Usually, but not always. Tons of fun for the attacker, not so much for the defender. However, even if the destruction of the SCU didn't award points, I would still do it as it helps me take the base. As more meta-game eventually develops this will be more and more important and taking away from the reward for helping your team sounds like a bad idea.
  12. wowie

I was ignoring ghost capping. Ghost capping is an entirely different issue that needs fixed separately. Use another thread for that.
    I think there's a really long one floating around somewhere. This thread is about destruction of stationary objects and their XP bonuses they give. Quit trying to drag the thread off-topic.
  13. Rail Tracer

If you love the SCU so much, guard it with your life.
  14. Ayabe

OP is a farmer so anything the impedes his ability to harvest is a negative.

SOE - like a plague of locusts on your crops sucka!
  15. Arreo

Here's what pisses me off:

All three factions are fighting over a tech lab/amp station. TR are defending, Vanu is attacking from the West and NC from the East. NC breaks through on the SE corner, and takes down the vehicle generators allowing sudies and tanks to roll in. The facility is going down quickly and TR recognizes it is lost and starts to pull out.

And then some NC idiot runs over to the (still TR) vehicle shield generators on the west side of the base and blows them up. This lets the Vanu sundies and tanks come pouring in and now instead of a nice secure cap of the facility you've worked hard to get you have another battle royale.

Seriously, think about what you're blowing up before just blindly doing it for the 100 xp...
    • Up x 1
  16. wowie

Maybe he wouldn't feel the need to farm if the need to gain certs to remain competitive wasn't so strong.
    Farming is required until you have at least 1 vehicle and 1 infantry class kit ready.

...but that's another issue for a different topic.
  17. Divinorium

The point is: if there's a even force of defenders you will never "capture a base" without destroyng it's defenses.
    This kinda of "improvement" will only reward ppl who capture ghost/semi-ghost bases. We already have a problem with ppl don't trying to take a well defended base and you want to stimulate this behavior? like, for real?
  18. Scienta

Well I kind of agree but I have different reasons for that than the OP. When we have the enemy pined and they have no way of getting the CC back the SCU should not be a target. But since it is worth quite a bit of XP some greenie will run by and flip it just cause. Some more organized groups see taking the base, and doing minimal damage to it to prevent having to sit around repairing so they can move on as a good thing. But that flies out the window when some zerg runs in flips it without any plans of repairing it because the outfit can do it.

This used to happen in PS1 but it was heavily frowned upon.
    • Up x 1
  19. Wintermaulz

Id say increase the XP for SCU and shield destruction, and get rid of terminal destruction XP, this encourages hacking, and not out right destroying unless you have too.
  20. wowie

If it bothers you that much, then scale the bonus to the size of the defense:
    It's really hard to not destroy things when there is a strong defense, so give a clean cap a large bonus.
    It's requires no effort when ghost capping (assuming ghosts caps aren't patched out sometime in the future) so give no bonus.

I want to encourage not destroying things when destroying said things isn't required for the win.
    It saves time when you don't have to have an entire squad cleaning up after the mess the zerg leaves behind.

Edit: It also makes it easier to defend from quick counterattacks.
    • Up x 1