[Suggestion] Game Feedback: its boring. :/

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Basti, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Basti

Oh i fully agree. Having every base take 5 hours to capture would be rather annoying. But right now, it takes 5 seconds to capture, because there is no resistance.

The balance comes automaticly, by players. tech plants are a fine example here, i mean those before the change with the shield generators.

You had one direct access point, the double doors at the backdoor. Shield breaker sundys allowed two more acces points, and Galaxys another one.

You could effectivly defend tech plants forever, unless the attacker got smart and pushed the back door hard while also getting folks in via shield breaker sundy, causing havoc from behind, effectivly destroying the double door defence, letting the attacker pour into the base and take it.

That was fun. I enjoyed attacking and defending them. But whenever we attacked them when they were currently empty, the enemy didnt show up to do a resecure, because they didnt have the time to even get one going.

I dont suggest changes to the base layouts, even tho they need some. I just suggest that players get more time to actually deal with the crap we throw at each other. Once we got time to get a defence going or attempt a proper resecure, we can talk about how bases need to change in order to support the defender or the attacker. But we cant talk about bases till we actually have the fights to truly understand the issue.
  2. smokemaker

Roger that.
    My meta game is digital murder.
    But i do see the want/need for more and the dev's have already said its coming.
  3. Basti

Another thing that came up on PSU: Dynamic capture XP.

Right now, there is little point to go where the enemy is already waiting for you. Cap a point and you get a bunch of free XP.

Lets change that. Let it be like PS1, where you got more XP the harder and longer the fight for that point was. If theres nobody around defending a Hex, you get nothing. But if you had a massive hard fight prior to capturing that territory, you get a lot of XP.

This would at least give reason to push torwards the enemy, instead of trying to avoid the enemy alltogether. Combined with the upcoming stuff for the GU2 update, and my suggested changes for longer capture times, it would likley push players to attempt proper defences of territorys, causing great fights everywhere rather than zergs avoiding each other.
  4. Tuco

Without the PS1 cloak AMS, PS1 mines, PS1 spitfires, SP1 motion detectors any defensive line you setup is going to have to have an equal amount of defending players to an equal amount of attacking players. Translation: useless.
  5. Basti

Tuco, not really.

The defenders have the benefit of closer supplys, and fortified positions. The attacker has nothing of that, but just a bunch of tanks and AMSes. Kill the tanks, and their force is much weaker. Kill their amses, and they have no force at all.

But some more CE stuff would likley help out a lot. Especially mines that are weaker, but you can place much more of them. ;)
  6. Brian TR

Ive been talking about this since Beta. The lack of flow or organization is the real problem. This game leaves to much room for the player and that leads to abuses. Currently there is no way to stop an outfit zerg or zerg. The worst part is most large outfits and zergs avoid eachother??? The game allows them to. This is why we see the heavy population imbalances across the board. Once a zerg decides to take a cont most opposing players will log and play somewhere where they have more influence. The solution is not to have more things for smaller outfits to do Its first to direct solo small squads to fight together and form a front line. The brainchild who thought gamers would work together to counter a zerg needs his head examined the game must do this for us. No one is going to listen to orders given by some random Joe even if it is to benefit the empire.
  7. wrenched

aww.... saw vanu and lost all respect
  8. Patrician

Erm; "entrenched warfare where every base takes 5+ hours to take" is exactly what is wanted. That's the whole point of playing PS2; that's why it feels so "hollow" now. Most battles are not much bigger than you get in BF (whatever number here) and last no longer either. Massive 5+ hour battles are what should be happening in PS2 but aren't.
  9. Patrician

Again with the "PS1 cloak AMS, PS1 mines, PS1 spitfires, SP1 motion detectors"; you really do have a bit of a blinkered outlook. I'll agree with the cloaked AMS (although this will be more used by attackers than defenders, but whatever) but the rest were no more than a very minor nuisance in PS. Mines were easily detectable and could be cleared quite simply. Spitfire turrets, again, were easily seen and just two shots from a bolt driver cleared them. Ditto with motion detectors; see one and a couple of shots and it was gone. With the cloaked AMS being more use for attackers than defenders the rest of your suggestions would not help defenders, by slowing the attackers advance, for more than the very few seconds it took to clear them.
  10. Tuco

It was more useful for defenders, and small unit tactics, not attackers. PS1 frontline AMSes died faster than a blink of an eye, 1/3rd the hitpoints of a Sunderer.

Only because of the CUD EMP cheap, and that stupid sunderer EMP blast that was added later. Keep both of these outside PS2 and all will be well in the world.

Which exposed the position of snipers.

Which exposed position of attackers, and would help great against AMP station wackamole.

Wrong, it was more useful for defense and small unit tactics.

It is the only thing that will help defenders.

When PS1 first came out, before the CUD emp cheaps, 10 players worth of landmines/spitfires/motion detectors took about 5 minutes to clear if there were a small amount of defending players present. If there were no defending players present it would take about 60 seconds to clear the CE.
  11. Yautja

"Metagame" literally means "the game outside the game". It means to use the most prevalent strategy (it shifts constantly) to accomplish a goal. The utilizing of psychology to gain an upper hand is the most common major league gaming definition of meta-gaming; literally attacking your enemies psyche utilizing your own in a gambit to defeat your enemy in the most efficient manner necessary.

Utilizing any information attainable outside of the game ("the game outside the game") such as weapon stats and hard numbers to calculate the minimum-maximum values for that smallest edge is also metagaming.

Using any non-ban-able exploits to achieve a goal (liberator bombing spawn points) is also metagaming. Any time you play outside of a developer's intended use of a game mechanic in a way you won't get banned it is metagaming. If you do so in a way you will get banned, you're now a filthy exploiter.

I don't know what you guys mean by "metagaming". The "metagame" is not something developers can add. It's something that is created and constantly shifting by the playerbase.
  12. Tuco

METAGAME is French for, "Something I want done, but am too lazy to enumerate."
  13. Basti

:D

With Metagame we usually mean the stuff we do besides killing each other and zerging around. These days its mostly coming up together with the whole continent capture stuff.
  14. Patrician

15. Tuco

Well aren't you one badass. You're like Superman, can leap tall buildings in a single bound, or Spiderman you can pendilum around buildings with a single strand of super-spider weave.

Anyways, for......The way you replied makes this really hard to reply back you know.

Anyways, for everyone that isn't a genetically altered-superhuman like you, CE and the PS1 cloaked AMS was awesome for defense.
  16. Brandon

Well...speak for yourself...I remember fighting for six hours over the bases in the Searhus crater in Planetside 1. That was amazing.

Before the Tech Plant nerf in PS2, my squads defended a techplant for over an hour. It was hellafun.

Long battles are fun. Long battles give you time to form, plan, and test strategies. Long battles are great.

Does PS2 need "long battles everywhere?" No. Short battles are good, too. But, PS2 needs places where long battles will form and focus.
  17. Patrician

Hmm..The way you replied makes this really hard to reply back you know but unlike like you, I'll try without resorting to childish phrases!

Now I don't know if you ever played as a sniper in PS but the Bolt Driver had a considerable range and unlike it's PS2 sibling had no "wobble"; it was nothing to do with being like "superman", just using the weapons to their best advantage. You did not have to be right by the turrets or sensors to destroy them, in fact it was sensible game play to be as far away as you could be when you did.
  18. Bobby Shaftoe

Metagaming is using external information/software or anything else that allows you/your character to perform actions ingame that would not be possible otherwise.

As an example(unsure if they've changed the mechanic), in EVE online, you could log out and when you log back in you were within something like 2km of when you logged off. A player would sit in a bait ship, have his gang log out and wait for some pirate to come in system, track him down and attempt to kill him, once the pirate was in range, he'd disrupt his warpdrive, call over comms and everyone would log in and attack the pirate. Didn't matter if the pirate had 'scouts' in all surrounding systems 2 jumps out, there was no one nearby to help the 'bait' ship (each system has a chat channel listing everyone in system).

A similar thing in PS1 would be to have a squad log out in a base that was about to get over-run, log out in the CC, have one person try and stay near the CC, even if dead and watch the enemy put the hack on, wait a bit and see how many enemies stayed in the CC area, with 2-3 mins left on the hack, a lot of enemies would start to push out and get ready to rep the base, then the call goes out over comms and people log back in where they logged out, kill the CC defenders and resecure the base.

That is metagaming, not what should correctly be called strategic gameplay elements.

Using a lib to bomb a spawn point is not metagaming.
  19. Mietz

Free metagaming advice for PS2:

Get an organized squad/platoon of infantry
    Have at least 3 medics.
    Find a fight thats going badly and the facility will be taken.
    Run to the cap-point(s)
    Everybody but one medic /suicide
    The medic resurrects the squad/platoon.
    Medic /suicide.
    Do -NOT- accept the res (it stays forever as long as you are "active" = flipping through certs, etc.)
    Wait till base flips (watch the map).
    Accept the res.
    BAM you are all directly inside the enemy base at the cap point without disabling generators or shields or anything.
    Enjoy your instant re-cap.

Tested and working at Zurvan with 6 man squad.
  20. ItsDangerous

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    This is why I usually dont stick around for biolabs... been in some that have taken many hours, let alone the dreaded 3 way Bio's ugghhhh