[VS] [Helmet] Hunter RX-0

Discussion in 'Game Discussion: PlanetSide 2' started by Fuzz, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Fuzz Active Member

EDIT: current status is: help me decide on a visor :)
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

but apprently isnt visualy compelling so ill be reworking it :)

Hi all!

see when i said i was working on a unicorn helmet i wasnt joking :p see i really do love the horned helmets that are in a lot of sci-fi and noticed there was a severe lack of them in planetside!

so here is a rough mock up, tell me what you think! all critizism is really loved!

Inital models

[IMG]

Sketch

[IMG]

almost Current version

[IMG]

Current Version Video (the white forehead has been enlarged slightly from the image version, and there is a slight change to the front too)

eh it fits the decault head quite snugly, with a little overhand at the back. I know the horn sticks out a lot but i like it as a defining feature :/
    =====

Known errors

- (that have been fixed but **** me im not remaking the video): errors on the back of the neck, these are fixed now

- sligtly uneven patch at the back of the neck. will be fixed. atm my mouse is on the blink so im fixing that first :/

- weird looking front profile (how the **** do i fix this and retain the pointyness?!)

- face lights are funny. eh im not goot at UV's. ive ive got spare polies i might end up just modeling them on.... a hand with this would be really appreciated

- in the image the bottom is weird. i flattend it as looking at inside and outside cables gave me a headache.

- the shell? is a bit funny, anyone got a good guide on how to make that sorta shape, i make a triangle with collapsed sides then made edges on the inside, and then duplicated and rotated it, but it looks a tad funny?

====

Thankyou all very much :) all crizisizm tips or ideas are really appreciated! :)

-fuzz
  2. Nicococo Active Member

Uhhh no unicorn helmets. I dont think that necksock will fit in the neck area of the characters
  3. Fuzz Active Member

4. SpartanXZero Member

IF, an this is a big one. You wanted to retain the antennae style horn, I would, in my opinion. Reverse the angle of the horn. Instead of protruding outwards, that the "horn" antennae feature follow the contour of the helmets crest, an angle from the front visor towards the back of the helmet to fit a more streamlined an uniformed aesthetic to the overall design. Other than that the overall piece isn't to shabby, aside from perhaps some minor tweaks an adjustments to the overall sizing of the helmets components to suitably match all the class style armor sets.

Think of the antennae to bear more similarity to Horned Beetles, to match the carapace style of the vanu curved design. It won't be a unicorn horn, but a slight curved reverse horn would better fit the overall vanu aesthetic. As well, have a more technoish look.

art is purely as reference to the gist of my meaning. Something similar to the front horn.. yet more curve to match in line with the crest of the helmet, as well not have an overwhelming dimension to it's scale. Probably no more than your current designs dimensions, or 15% less sizing.

[IMG]
  5. A7roboBOT Member

You were wondering about the shell on top. It looks a little funny because the individual plates need to get progressively smaller as you go back.

As for the horn, you can make it work if you make it less Gundam-esque. Try a horn like the one in the Warframe image but either shorter or more swept back.
  6. Fuzz Active Member

Right , thankyou everyone very much for feedback: ive done a bit of work this morning

[IMG]

so yeah i enlarged the front plate to give it a easier and better visual apperance from the front, it also make it a bit more recognizeable. Ive then made 2 shorthorn varients, and sketched out a few alternate horn varients.
  7. SpartanXZero Member

I'm digging the lower right corner curved horn. Lends an interesting side profile to the look, yet the frontal appearance is still missing something that makes it pop out more.
  8. Fuzz Active Member

Cheers, ive done that, and the side pofile looks miles better now, its just the front that looks a little iffy:

[IMG]
  9. TheHumm Member

That looking good, very roman inspired. However the neck sock texture is very jarring, as for the fount helmet I think making a little more open may help.:)

[IMG]
  10. Ervpro Member

Maybe this IS the same helmet I'm thinking of, but isn't there a VS helmet with the exact same profile? (the roly poly style scales going back already)
  11. TheHumm Member

Yes the Legionaire Helmet. hmm, that going to cause a problem. :(
  12. Fuzz Active Member

Cheers, yeah the issue with the current deisng is that itd end up looking a bit like the legionare helm and the exemplar helm

so in the next few hors ill be working on it to make it distinct:

- have a variation with the original small front star, and have unified side edge

- have a variation with a wider faceplate, but ill do something with the horn so it doesnt look like the legionare

- thinner faceplate

and possibly a few more
  13. Fuzz Active Member

So here we go, i left the neck pipes for now, as once the head is done ill either polish those uv's or have enough polies left over to make them properly 3d :)

so yeah ive unified the side of the crest, and it sticks out a lot at the back so no confusion with legionare: and experimented -ith

- thinner star

- thin visor/crown (i kinda like it, looks more regal?)

- actual eyes

- a MUCH wider faceplaye and a bit of detail on it

- a detailed crest

[IMG]

personally i like #1&2 the most out of this batch but #4 i also kinda like
  14. Fuzz Active Member

UPDATE :D

well i fixed the neck texture (this thing uses very few polys for some reason so yay!) and redid the face a teeny tiny bit and tidied up some more geometry.

P3D Link http://p3d.in/nYokb
  15. CoffeeOutlaw Active Member

it uses verry few polys because it is really low rez and old school looking, you need to smooth this thing out, bevel some edges, smoothe some curves, the shredder like hel blades should be a nice smooth curve. thats why we get the polys, so these pieces dont look so low poly.

and get rid of those things sticking in and out of the necks, they are not really working
  16. Fuzz Active Member

alright ill try to smooth out the edges and cut the necktubes, ill get that done by tomorrow
  17. Fuzz Active Member

Thanks for the feedback, ive smoothed out the side vent and the top curve(purple+white) and cut off the neck tubes I also tidyed up the back of the curve where it meets the neck

[IMG]
  18. Fuzz Active Member

i really want happy with the faceplate (the mesh was a mess after a few too many decimates, there was 50 trinalges where there should have been 2 squares) so i redid it, and then had a bit of fun trying out 2 new visors and 2 new headpieces

[IMG]

looking at this thread i also remeberd the visor was a lot more open so ill got try that out agian too :)

Cheers!

-fuzz
  19. Fuzz Active Member

tried out a white visor and squished in the front vents a tad, which are now squint, but i need some lucnh so its enough blender for today :p (oh god the jewels squint too :0 ill be doing some more on that tomorrow morning!)

so a heres a new version, i like the more intresting visor and crown :) im also a big fan of the squished vents which now look more sleek.

BUT I WILL BE UNSQUINTING THE FRONT VENT/VISOR RIM TOMORROW MORNING, DONT WORRY :)

[IMG]
  20. Fuzz Active Member

Tidied up a little so yeah, still not 100% on the visor (but its kinda neat) any suggestions from anyone? its really appreciated :)

[IMG]