Which of these large races are you most thankful for?

Discussion in 'News, Announcements, and Dev Discussions' started by Dexella, Nov 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raidjinn Well-Known Member

[IMG]
    For the heads:

My favorite was the far right, was just the most reminiscent of the old iksar design. The underbite helps make it a little more stern and determine. The subdued hrons accentuate the facial features without detracting from them too much.

#2 had a lot of the same qualities, but just with the horns jutting out more (I'm hoping horn shape and length are adjustable features in character creation) and more of an overbitem contributing to a somewhat younger appearance.

Ah, the infamous #3 T-Rex design. I like a lot of things about it, I'm actually a fan of the whole making iksar more dinosaur-y. Thing tho is, that when I look at it and imagine it on a body, I keep thinking argonian instead of Iksar. Part of this is because the face lacks a number of common features of the Iksar:
    • The skull shape. Yes, it's a dinosaur. but there are a few features of the iksar skull that are common, such as having a wider, more box-y skull shape and contributing to a wider, more frog-like mouth.
    • There is also the smooth uninterrupted slope that makes up the crown of the iksar skull from the top of the head to the end of the snout, while this skull has a few breaks in the features, such as at the eyebrow and the muzzle.
    • Ridge of horns located along the cheekbones.
    • Also, the 2 top-back corners of the skull typically flange outwards as opposed to forming a crest at the base of the neck and spine, again propagated by the box-y skull shape.
    Long and short is that it's a dinosaur skull, while the iksar have a closer appearance to a horned lizard or snakes. Thus #3 looks like an entirely different species that's hard to ignore. If the design team can bring the look to more resemble typical iksar features, I'm sure it'll be a smash.

#4 is a little narrower and a little sterner. I especially like the use of horns as facial features and as pseudo-facial hair. This is a look I can imagine for magic users and stealthy characters. I think the face would be better were it more slung forward to help emphasize the Iksar's more savage and feral nature, but that's just my opinion.

#5 looks much like your typical thug iksar, the ground-pounder, complete with a facial scar. While I'm all for the forward slung head and neck hunch, this one my be taking it a little too far.
  2. Unimaginable New Member

[IMG]

I don't have to say much here, it's pretty much the best mix of all other designs+it also seems to be the most popular one already.

[IMG]

Simply liked those 2 head designs, they are the most intimidating i guess.
    • Up x 2
  3. IceDzun New Member

Damn,all these Iksars look awesome,really want to see them in game as playable.Already imagine their heroic movement;)
    • Up x 2
  4. Raidjinn Well-Known Member

[IMG]
    Now for the armor:

While selection was limited, I most liked the robed centurion look on the left. It had such a flare for elegance and the exposed areas of the armor would help to show off the iksar's color palette (as well as said iksar's fine physique :p). It's an inspired look that breaks the mold of the typical tribal/aboriginal look normally given lizard races. Plus the cape on the iksar would be great for either that heroic pose, or the villainous scheming. With the detail of the scales and body shape, the exposed areas would help to accentuate the Iksar's movement and scale pattern and bring another level of identity for the character.

The middle armor looks like a good cloth setup, again with the exposed areas for a look at the details of the scales and colors. The cape again gives the outfit character, and the scale/plate feel of the armor matches the scaliness of the iksar as well. In this case, the flare of the gauntlets provides a lot of attitude and elegance of the ensemble. This piece strikes me as somewhat desert noble-y in feel, what with the loose and disjointed articles of clothing and a lighter yet magnanimious look to the outfit as a whole.

Finally the one of the right looks to me like a mail or leather piece. Cape, alright, woohoo. The shoulderguards and breastplate reaching upwards gives a reaching theme to the piece and gives it some good personality. Again the plated and scaled look of the armor emphasizes the reptilian traits of the race. Of the 3 this one looks like it could belong in robin hood. The collar fringe also gives it a more woodland vibe.

About the armor as a whole: Liking the scale look of the armor for the reptiles. The exposed areas of the armor is also really nice as well to help accentuate the scale details of the skin and the color palette of the character. With all the metallish looking areas, it's somewhat diffcult what type of armor they are wearing, however, I love how the general designs of the armor can be construed as noble or villainous just by swapping the color scheme of the armor. A few things though: I'm really not crazy about the helm options. They all look like just random pieces of metal they found and are balancing on their heads. If the pieces were complete or if they were combined into one piece, that might help. Also, while the loincloth look is nice, would also be nice to see something other than a loincloth for pant options. Same with the capes.
    • Up x 1
  5. Raidjinn Well-Known Member

My thing with the body tho is that it's just so generic, with little character to its overall design and silhouette. Put a wolf's head on it and you have Worgen. Put a cat's head on it and you have a Werecat. And even though they keep calling it an iksar, I keep looking at it and think Argonian. Heck you can put a goblin head on it and I'd call it a troll. I'd prefer a design with personality and a more distinctive silhouette. If you look at the Kerran and the Ogre, they both have stylized designs that accentuate certain features of their body type, thus giving them personality and character, something that you can readily associate with their designs. Even WoW did it with the lankiness of the Night elves and trolls, along with the trolls posture.
  6. Unimaginable New Member

I won't agree on that, it's already a quite unique body type if you'll look closer, i can't recall any game where i saw this one used before actually. It's not generic one at all, it's *balanced*.Also, try to do the thing u've said and you would instantly see that it's a reptilian body, no other head would fit on it. And if you don't notice it you have some reality measurment problems. Saying it because of the fact you called this body an Argonian when argonians are NOTHING EVEN CLOSE to it, Argonians are just 100% humans with real life human proportions wearing beast masks.(oh and try to find a human with proportions of body type we're talking about in real life... you WON'T)

Anyway, trying to go away from perspective i was talking about makes race unpopular. All those hunches, huge arms, tiny legs and stuff like that make a race look UGLY and REPULSIVE, so it always leads to them becoming the least played race in the end cos of that (it also leads to them being ignored by developers in case of problems like clipping or making unique armors or content for them). Really i'm so tired of watching cool race ideas being gutted by ugliness for the sake of them being *unique*. Nobody wants being unique but ugly, that's a fact.
  7. Durel New Member

I agree completely. And while I do prefer playing nasty, beast like races. The fact that their often neglected by developers due to their lacking popularity compared to, lets say the elves, does bug me. heck look at SWTOR where the body type 1 twi'lek's head tails vibrate because Bioware can't be asked to fix it two years after the games release.

Still this is unique enough to make me happy! Not like the Argonians, who are as you said are entirely human in proportions with a reptilian mask. Which reminds me. DO NOT GIVE THE ISKAR BOOBS! Their reptiles not mammals. I am sick and tired of seeing insect/reptilian/arachnid like creatures with breasts... that might just be a pet peeve of mine though!
    [IMG][IMG]
    • Up x 5
  8. Trex Drago New Member

All of them iksar looks amazing hard to choose :) can't wait to play as a iksar or a froglok them are the two main races i want to play as!
  9. IceDzun New Member

I feel you on that,mate.I really hate lacking of unique spieces in swtor(one of my main concern in it).Never was a fan of elves,orcs,dwarfs,gnomes and other humans with different shapes(but have nothing against them through).I guess everybody got their tastes,for me, i'll be happy if iksars looks like argonians(i am more in facial structure,than body shape),but,damn,they looks awesome here.
    • Up x 1
  10. Laiquendi New Member

I know there are limitations , but I just wish we could have ALL of those types of Iksar types in the Iksar concept art pictures to choose from in game. They are all fantastic looking. Actually, now that I think about it, maybe that would be bad because I would spend too long trying to get the best look out of a ton of best looks. Or I would be buying tons of those potions that allow you to change your physical appearance, lol. Seriously , I wish they were all in game, they all look great and each one conveys such a different feel.
  11. Ravenal New Member

I like them ALL! They all have distinct purpose of personality!
    • Up x 2
  12. Dasilva Member

I think the races and hometown design should follow more closely on the EQ1 classes and races and hometowns it made a lot more sense than the eq2 setup did in my opinion, a halflings home town should be rivervale a wood elf or half elfs home should be kelething for example BUT then you can also choose like I stated in another post to start your Dark elf for example in Kelethin and become a GOOD dark elf loved by Kelethin as the Dark elf quests and lives and levels in Kelethin it shouldnt be that hard when a character chooses his/her starting town they start out with neutral faction in that starting town and allow them to build from there
  13. Sharisnarr Member

I agree boobs on a reptile race is a big no there.

On a side note all this support for the Iksar defiantly does me good. Heck I run the main RP guild for the Iksar (in EQ2) and offer lectures on there lore monthly on AB as well. I also been getting tells and even some emails asking to make a Iksar RP guild in EQN. However while I do love the art and such, to be frank I will not announce or even try to expand my guild in to EQN until the race is officially announced as a playable race, and hopefully from launch.

Till then following this thread does make me feel good seeing a ton of support for my fav race in the game.

Now then there was someone that posted that Reptile races don't feel right to her for the game. Lets look at this in a general RPG sense.

In one form or another there has always been a reptile race in a game, for example.

In Dungeons & Dragons the Lizard Man is the first sign of this as a race, as there not a typical monster race. There intelligent, cold and calculating, which is very complementary to the race. In fact there was even a small movement to make them a playable race in the early 80s. Various RPGs, even sci-fi ones have in one way or another made a kind of reptile race for it, even if strictly meant to be NPCs in the game.

In lore found in any area of the world, a human like reptile race has always made a appearance in one way or another. Technically the gorgons of Greek mythology where snake like at first as well if you want a lowkey example. In egypt there was the race that served as Sobek's messengers, which where crocs.

This even continues in to popular TV and Movies as well. Star Wars, Star Trek, Doctor Who, Babylon 5, and numerous others have included some kind of reptile race in them sooner or latter. Heck even Stargate SG-1 had something akin to a reptile race in it as well.

So lets face it, it's a popular thing to have around as it can be found just about everywhere. Which are all things to consider as to why the Iksar in EQ2 are so popular in the end.
    • Up x 3
  14. Viper1 Active Member

But then how will we get the male Iksar to talk to the females?
  15. Sharisnarr Member

In EQ2, it's all about the female's frills. ;)
    • Up x 1
  16. dangeraaron10 Active Member

Dem sexy frills, shake 'em for meh!

At any rate, I'm giddy how almost all of the forum's ideals align with mine. For Iksar, the trick is to not make them look too humanoid. That includes giving them more lizard-like hands and feet, a more animated tail, bigger heads (not those tiny headed Iksar in EQ2), and keeping the mammary glands away from the female Iksar. Being true reptiles invalidates the point of having bajungas.

At any rate, the center drawing in the body/posture example piece is my one of choice, though I would make it a bit thicker. Iksar should have a bit of beef to make them look strong, but also keep them a bit leaner to give them a more dexterous based look. Agile AND strong! Probably a bit beefier than Humans, but not nearly as beefy as Ogres, for example. Probably not even as much as Kerran (as of their previous model, I know they are reworking it).

All that's needed now is for Iksar to be a launch race!

SOE.

Let us hope Iksar are a launch race.
    • Up x 3
  17. Sharisnarr Member

I fully agree with this.
    • Up x 2
  18. Ekaunek New Member

Frilliks. They're called frilliks, O Child of Fear.
  19. Werepizza New Member

Nothing screams "Awesome" more than Giants!
  20. Rob New Member

Will races have differences of their strength and speed and intelligence and sight and hearing? I think there should be.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.