Specialty Server Types? (Question Inside)

Discussion in 'News, Announcements, and Dev Discussions' started by Dexella, Dec 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Syllogy Well-Known Member

There might not be levels, but there are Tiers.

A Tier 10 character should be considerably more powerful than a Tier 1.

Also, this gets back into the argument of forced PvP, which most people don't want.

If the pure form of PvP actually worked in a social environment, special "play nice" rules and restrictions would not have been put in place on the Zek servers.
  2. Talathion Well-Known Member

I am hoping for more "Dark Souls" style where a level 1 can take on a level 800 player if they play better. However a master player can kill 3 players by just being more skilled.

Very active combat.
    • Up x 1
  3. elyhim New Member

I would play on a server with no mounts or teleports other than say a wizard or druid type.
    • Up x 1
  4. Dygz Well-Known Member

There is no level 800.
    Assuming two characters with only one class, a tier 5 character will have more abilities available than a tier 1 character, so, the tier 5 character will probably win fairly easily at least 75% of the time.
  5. alnassry New Member

hardcore servers for hardcore players

bigger penalty for death
    NO group finder
    harder to travel
    hard to collect gold and items
    ect
    so you feel the value of your items and gold
    truly for hardcore players
    • Up x 3
  6. Kazgoroth666 New Member

I very much like the idea of special ruleset servers.

I usually prefer PVE but like the occasional PVP, so a perfect server for me would be a PVE server where you can flag your character as PVE, thus not being eligible to be attacked by other players, but still be able to attack other players (that would of course flag the character for PVP for an extended period of time (at least 24 hours)).

other aspects i'd like to see/not see in the 'perfect' server:

1. XP death penalty, so that not dying becomes important, which again adds to the game tension. The death penalty should not be as harsh as it was in original EQ, but around 1 hours worth of XP.

2. Corpse runs. again this adds to game tension and excitement, but please also make alternative ways to recover corpse and items (eg. employ help from necromancers, a 'Cry for help' where you can pay off players near your corpse to bring you back for in-game currency, and maybe also crafted items that can bring you to your corpse)

3. No weight limit. While this is not realistic, its just a game after all, i remember having weight limit in EQ2 and i hated it :D

4. Player run merchants. The ability to set up shop in towns, selling your crafted masterpieces, i imagine the option of getting a crafting assistant that you can use to run your shop, or send out to harvest materials for you while the player is offline.

5. no instanced PVP zones. World PVP is the way to go, closed pvp instances ruin the feeling of being in a huge evolving world, and this, combined with the ability to flag yourself as pve only as stated in the top of my post, would eliminate most ganking.
    • Up x 1
  7. quseio New Member

this may be more than a special ruleset, but i want a eq1 style server,classes like eq1,but all the newstuff/graphics and started fresh,or at least for it to follow eq1 lore! that means cazic,TUNARE,and rallos!and the others
  8. quseio New Member

pve /pvp where instead of flag ubecome a werewolf/vampire the more yu bite the more power u ger
  9. Facade New Member

While speciality servers are neat, I would prefer a way to integrate all game-styles into one server. I'd like to imagine a game where you can pick a difficulty, say Iron-Man, to play and get certain bonuses for that, even if that would only be a title for the bragging rights.

In fact, going the EVE route of just having one server, or one per region though I'd prefer having gateway servers connecting you to a main server like PoE, would be the ideal. That way you'd never run into the issue of meeting someone that plays the game but on an other server than you.
    • Up x 1
  10. Talathion Well-Known Member

I agree with opt-in Factional PvP. However I do want things like City Battles/GvG/Multi-Duels as well. ((Being able to duel 3 people at once even for RP reasons is awesome.)) However Factional PvP/Duels should be taken AWAY from NPC cities and put in "Player Cities".

Yes, I believe Player Cities should be able to ally with factions and even get major factional perks from it. They can even turn their cities into massive raid zones.
  11. saalle New Member

I whould like to have PVP and PVE servers,i dont really like RP thing so i care no less about it,but PVP and PVE is must have for me!
  12. Xavien New Member

Our Favorite Server ideas...

Retro -
    a more classic EQ setup modeled closely after the older entries in this game series.

PvP-
    we all know this one

PvE -
    same here

PvE/Hardcore
    - permadeath ( for the extremist in us all)

(If your just a BAMF then we suppose you could try to push for a PVP/Hardcore, but that's just a little too badass for us.)

- Team Xavien
  13. Archlyte Active Member

How about a server where the human characters don't look like Disney monkeys with rickets? The humans are only vaguely so thanks to the art design. Rosie and whoever green-lighted that approach have ruined the game IMO. Yeah there are a tone of cool features, but all I see is that turd running along on the screen so the rest of it doesn't matter. My foray into Landmark has unfortunately brought an end to my enthusiasm for this game. You can have my stuff, go ahead and pick it up with your monkey hands and examine it with your Tex Avery eyeballs.
  14. Viper1 Active Member

Yes, because art assets NEVER change throughout development going from pre-alpha to alpha, beta and release.
    • Up x 1
  15. Nimbus New Member

ALL OF THIS!!!!! :) seriously though, I would love to have a throwback server, in my opinion, the only way to play Everquest and in fact it has worked so well that the original Everquest is still being sold!!!!
    • Up x 1
  16. Kasyee New Member

I dont like specialty servers idea - I know this is implemented in most games but...
    I like to do everything and take parts in every aspect of game, not focus on one - so Id have a big problem choosing a server.
    Also my friends may prefer PVP most of time, one friend prefers role-playing - so with different servers every one will go to seperate server and focus on their thing. If there is no specialty servers we will all go to 1 choosen server and have fun together jumping between all things people in our group like and will have more fun overall.

I think that if the game already is supposed to allow us so much control like choosing our abilities, creating our individual character from lots of classes, crafting in every field, destruct the world - then giving us ability to choose on what we want to focus on one basic server won't be much of a problem.

Also - I like PvP in arenas/battles/challenges - the ones you have to agree on for it to start. Coming to random person and hitting them causing a fight should not be allowed as it can destroy fun of many people.
  17. Thurlin New Member

The downside to completely open servers only is that you will alienate a good group of people. Some people hate PVP. If they are forced into it every time that they play, they are less likely to come back. Similarly, many people (myself) included like RP. That's not the easiest thing in the world when you are surrounded by griefers and 12 yr olds who are just looking to cause trouble. To your point though, I would love it if you could port characters between servers. That would be in line with the "no need for alts" that is being pushed while still allowing people the flexibility to play how they want.
  18. Kasyee New Member

Also - the only specialty I feel might not seperate me from my friends is roleplaying server - on which you can do everything you do on basic server but roleplaying all the time. Im not a big roleplayer but I can understand it may be hard.
    While PVPers and PVErs on one server is not such a nightmare - you can easily organise it the way tht everyone plays the way he/she wants.
    |But with roleplaying you can't just force everyone to "not respond to roleplayers in an out of character mode". Roleplaying is fun when others also do it. It;s such a joy kill when you're talking/behaving like some ancient mage and someone else is like "Why are you talking so weird?".
  19. Talathion Well-Known Member

Griefing will exist in any game regardless if it has PvP or not. I myself am a serious roleplayer and I can't stand servers which force one playstyle and make me separate my choices. I know you hate PvP, however a lot of Roleplay is PvP (Player vs Player), so I don't think you hate pvp, I think you hate forceful engagements.

I know if in roleplay, I emoted pulling a gun on someone in roleplay and I was like: SORRY I DON'T LIKE PVP! I would probably get ignored because I didn't want any Roleplay PvP and I was literally asking for it.

Read the following really carefully. :)

However, this is my point. There should be PvP: On all servers. Except it should be based on what you do in the game. If you go around being evil, murdering innocent NPCs and such then one day a player may come in and blast you, except these are not "12 year olds and griefers" these are players, serious players playing the roles like Avenger, Paladin who seek revenge on those you slain. This is just one of thousands of examples I can bring up, if your character, icly and oocly didn't do anything wrong then nobody should be able to do anything to you. This keeps it realistic.

Lol, one funny thing is though most 12 year olds, younger players and griefers don't have the patience to wait for hours upon hours just to grief another person. They also don't like playing within rules, each time you add rules to the game it makes it less likely.
  20. Archlyte Active Member

False Hope FTW. The art style won't change significantly. Textures might, but the models themselves won't be much different. Your character's butt will still be about where a normal human's belly button is. An they have the posture of a department store manikin. There's way too much Barbie/Tinkerbell influence in the character design.

They should have made the human characters more physiologically correct. I could deal with the cartoony face, but when you add it to the bodies it's just bad.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.