In Landmark, what kind of building do you think you'll participate in?

Discussion in 'News, Announcements, and Dev Discussions' started by Dexella, Jan 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glennsmithpa New Member

For me, this decision will be based on Guild Dynamics - if the guild is organized and have a good amount of structure and specific goals, I like the idea of "doing my part". A good guild will have clearly established objectives and timelines for specific goals to be accomplished. If I land in a guild like that, I think it would be nice to both a) work as an integral part of a cohesive guild team and slowly build complex, massive structures. b) spend down time working on my own personal section of Norrath and sharing ideas with the guild.

While the thought of being part of a grand project involving teamwork suits me just fine, I also like the idea of waking up on the weekend and tinkering on my own castle, while sipping hot,strong coffee, undistrubed by anyone.

So, all of that essentially means, both !
  2. Zeuljii New Member

I expect to do all kinds, but this is art not loot. Most existing guild structures manage issues like loot rights. Compromise with loot has a clear and specific outcome, where compromise in art leaves more room for misunderstanding. On the other hand, the complexity of compromise in art lends itself to more rewarding outcomes if the parties can communicate clearly.

When community building happens it is wonderful. I'm going to try from day one to participate in grand endeavors and make them work, but I do not anticipate a smooth start. I anticipate days of solo gathering as an escape.
    • Up x 2
  3. HooDoo New Member

I plan on participating in both forms of construction....*Puts on hardhat* :)
    • Up x 1
  4. Throow New Member

I will start building solo, then later in a group
  5. Orion Well-Known Member

I'll work by myself to build a home.
    I'll work with my guild to build a city.
    I'll work with everyone to build a world.

Really, I'm quite curious how the group building projects will be managed. Will there be some separation of labor with foremen, architects, builders, landscapers? If a guild wants to take many adjacent land claims in order to build a city and they want city walls, must all the residents who live on the perimeter of that city sacrifice a portion of their personal claims to build the wall? Or could a guild get their own larger land claim from which they could lease smaller plots of land to guild members?

What of the highways connecting cities? When I consider my earliest memories of Norrath, I remember getting jumped by highwaymen on the road crossing Antonica or tip-toeing behind cover to hide from the guards at the Commonlands crossroads. We simply must have roads, but whose responsibility should they be? If we are to build the roads ourselves, how would it be managed?

It would be interesting if road construction were be part of the algorithm in the procedural generation of landscape changes. Say, perhaps, the server could keep track of the number of visitors that each claim receives, and over time we could see dirt roads forming between the most frequently visited claims. Once the dirt roads develop, players could then openly take it upon themselves if they choose to supply the stone resources to pave the pathway into a road.

If anyone has good references about how massive build projects will be organized, I'd love to see them.
    • Up x 5
  6. Higgil Haggil New Member

Sums it up perfectly.

Solo Intent: One should be able to invite others to assist, or perhaps even pay them in some monetary or material value to help them build whatever they wish. That being said, EQNL needs to make sure to allow for players who claim land to invite other players to it with a set of permissions. Perhaps the player contracting other players to help build does not want them to have destruction power, and simply only build on their plot (sort of managing over them in a sense). This should be acceptable to ensure that the player with the claim doesn't have another player who is contracted to come in and help destroy their pre-existing content.

Guild Intent: Guilds should be able to lay down Guild Claims, in which any member of the guild (of particular ranks) has permissions to do whatever the Guild Leader applies. Guild Claims I imagine will be Guild Castles and Fortresses, which are extremely important in Fantasy Realms. Leaders come and go, Cities rise and fall...so should Guilds. As Guilds become more powerful, you should see this in their claims and group craftsmanship.

Finally, Community Intent: The community should rally behind great projects. Perhaps Sony decides to initiate a content to see who can help craft Qeynos - and it takes multiple guilds building multiple quarters of the city? And then again, who is to say any of this is 'help'? Maybe a player becomes indebted to another, or to a city from a bond/loan. Then, its slave work my friend! This might not be feasible, but heck.... I am throwing it out there.
    • Up x 2
  7. ilovelocust Active Member

I really want participate in small group building with my extended family, but to be realistic it would be like herding cats. I'll probably being doing mostly solo work.
    • Up x 1
  8. Nilii Rhymeweaver Member

9. Isabel New Member

In the beginning I'll definitely be doing solo construction but I think this is going to be the most common method. We all have to learn about the system, the tools, what we can and cannot do, voxels, etc...

I think I will first begin by trying to just build basic random items just to get used to everything. Once I feel comfortable building then I my plan is to create a building that matches my upcoming EQN Fansite. I've already begun by researching Coliseums and Stadiums.

I look forward to seeing what possibilities Landmark will bring.
    • Up x 1
  10. Wudin New Member

I'll primarily be building solo, but I also enjoy participating in large community projects where everyone's little bits add up to impressive feats.
  11. Praesus Lecti New Member

That is about the best way to approach what can/will be done in Landmark.

What I wonder about more is not who will be building what but how. I'm curious about the physics behind the objects we place. Is it a Minecraft style physics where nearly all objects placed do not fall to the ground or will we need to worry about structural soundness.
  12. Lani New Member

I currently build solo or small group, but will probably do a little bit of everything in Landmark if the project is in a style that interests me. I like working with others who have the same building/decorating style philosophy that I do, so I will probably mostly be in small group, but as I said, I would love to do a little bit of everything.
  13. Jackofall Member

I wanna build me one of these on my claim. [IMG]
  14. Duende New Member

Solo construction first, to learn the system and its qualities and limitations. With the right tools, and the right materials, I can build anything my twisted mind comes up with.

Build small towns, bolt holes, haunted ruins and places on the edge of night best hurried past and forgotten.
    Temples, Mage sanctums, torture chambers... Underground temples any Teir'Dal would love.
    • Up x 1
  15. Lynq New Member

In my imagination I picture me and my wife building an awesome base! In reality I will probably be building and my wife will be asking "Is our house done yet?"
    • Up x 1
  16. LandWrightToo New Member

Depends on the tools, local resources needed and any style guidelines we receive. Will start solo, learn the toolset, interact with others and see what synergies we have and if there's a town that needs building...
  17. Xishaa New Member

You know what would be sick? If we could create NPCs to populate our constructions!
    • Give them paths to patrol/walk
    • Give them interactive features (quest or barter or just chat)
    • Edit what/how they say it by uploading facial expressions using the emote-cam feature they "mentioned" at release
    • Maybe even be able to upload an audio-file to do a voice over
    Landmark could create achievement quests that reward us with Animal and Humanoid "Props" that will be found in EQnext.

It's fun to just look at other people's creations, but it would be WAY more fun to fight, run, find or interact in other people's fantasy world. An NPC-prop would really help in the building of something that others "can participate in". (underlined the last bit to show that I was actually answering the question of this thread)
    • Up x 2
  18. Isabel New Member

Now this is an awesome idea. Imagine making a prison with Guards that will attack you. People will be able to make their own "Dungeon". I could make a Coliseum with Door Guards or NPCs that will open the door for you as you approach.

The possibilities could be endless here. Allowing us to customize their dialogue and equipment would be great. I know they had similar abilities in EQ2. I'd love to see it back again.
    • Up x 1
  19. seronels New Member

If I can be online at same time as others, I will build group. Otherwise, I will mostly be building solo, with my son assisting in the design work. So far he wants a mountain in the shape of a pink dragon. I am still trying to figure out how I might go about doing that!
  20. Lethallweapons New Member

I most likely will start in solo to improve my skill. Then after I feel comfortable with my skills id probably look for like-minded people to collaborate on bigger projects.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.