EQN Landmark: Small Outpost Keep

Discussion in 'News, Announcements, and Dev Discussions' started by Dexella, Oct 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vox_Disciples Well-Known Member

Looks just outstanding. Can't wait to get in game and create some epic stuff!

If you're excited about landmark be sure to bookmark DoV's community page, we're going to be giving away SOE cash in a landmark contest when it releases!
    • Up x 3
  2. Ender Member

Generally speaking if you can show a playable version of a game even if it is incomplete it is not vaporware. Vaporware also generally suggests that the game has been in production longer than normal while not being able to show a playable version thus giving you a reason that it might not ever be released.

Calling this game vaporware just means that every single game that is in early alpha or pre-alpha is vaporware and that is kind of a silly usage of the word.
  3. Sai Member

very nice thing made in Landmark ...
  4. Asphyx Well-Known Member

Building keeps during the day.. winning contests as Willy Wonka at night.. what can't Dave do?
    [IMG]
  5. GreyReach Active Member

If only that wasn't the definition it would be silly...

Misusing a word doesn't mean the definition is wrong...it just means the word is being misused. In this case, the definitions from producers of dictionaries would seem to be saying the term means one thing and others are claiming the term means another thing. Using words as defined in dictionaries would seem to be a better long term choice. Otherwise we could end up with people claiming "bird" means an extending of a finger rather than an animal that has gills and lives underwater. And everyone knows "bird" means an animal that has gills and lives underwater....thus the definition in a dictionary is wrong...or meaningless.

An early alpha game is different than a pre-alpha game....and to claim a game is pre-alpha means it is not in alpha...early or not. A pre-alpha game is indeed much more likely to be a valid example of vaporware. While a game that is in alpha...well...it isn't likely to be considered vaporware for the same reasons you list...a playable version to use for demos...as just one example.

Now....if the Lincoln Log Quest game is pre-alpha...it would certainly seem to fit the definition of vaporware...given the multi-year development of is sister game with nothing to show for that effort...other than Smed saying it was scrapped again...

If someone wants to claim the Lincoln Log Quest game in alpha stage...then it would probably need to have a playable demo available...which as of right now doesn't seem to exist. The demo at Fan Faire was apparently of the other game...not Lincoln Log Quest...since they are different games according to the dev teams.

Now...again...if the Lincoln Log Quest game is in pre-alpha...it still sounds like vaporware...regardless of any desire to change the meaning of the terms used.
  6. GreyReach Active Member

Are the devs working in Alaska now? It looks like it is daylight...or is this a test of the new game mechanics with day and night not impacting game play? Oh no...now I have said too much...new feature is out the bag...

And where are the Oompa Loompa's? Working hard in cubicles to finish up last minute code changes?
  7. Rockhound12 Member

If he build this keep in 4 hours or so, could you imagine spending weeks, or even months building something.
    I can definitely see thing being really complex and awesome.
  8. Lokestran New Member

Looks great, although personally I'm a little skeptical of how the stylization of the game will work for 'evil' or 'dark' decorating themes. I'm really hoping to make a broody castle for a Dark Lord type character, and this keep still looks a little cheery for my tastes.

And that pic of Dave as WW is roxxors.
  9. Adriann New Member

very very cool. but i'm wondering about doors and their functionality. will they be used to keep people out if you so desire? like to make your plot available for people to walk on and explore but keeping your house locked up so to speak?
  10. Lokestran New Member

I think the devs are planning on using a permission system to keep people locked up, but really the only thing stated by Dave Georgeson is that you can change permissions on who edits, not necessarily who walks in. I would assume there will be some method of keeping indoor creations off limits. Outdoor ones, that might be a bit harder.
  11. Melchin New Member

Cannot wait to go into landmark and start building that
  12. Lanica New Member

Agree, the cheeriness won't work well for us all! Hopefully, they will give us some decor tools or even meshes to customize the walls and floors. I wouldn't mind being able to add spiderwebs and wall-mounted chains. I would really like to build a catacomb underneath a run down church....with of course some skeletons 'tastefully' arranged :)
  13. magnus_sca New Member

That what I want defending my wiz tower
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.