In Landmark, what kind of building do you think you'll participate in?

Discussion in 'News, Announcements, and Dev Discussions' started by Dexella, Jan 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neurotoxin Active Member

All sorts of different ways.

Solo stuff will definitely be done first, to help me understand the tools and limitations first before teaming up. After that I'll still do plenty of solo work, particularly for Player Studio focused content.

I see a lot of small group projects going on in Alpha, especially with the fellow ITP hosts. I'll also be able to use small projects to help with teaching others how to use the tools.

Large groups will be a goal at some point, especially for a larger project. Mountains, spires, temples, may be made on this sacle. it might be that a small core does the design, and everyone else decorates it or helps with replacing low-tier dirt voxels with high-quality stone or better.

Community / massive projects... yes.... I have plans, certain plans.... BIG plans... they will be epic and span multiple claims.

I'm also planning to mix it up a bit. Sci-fi stuff will be made, heck I wanna make PlanetSide 2.5 (or 1.5) on Landmark. Fantasy stuff will be made, Norrath-style or otherwise. If the options are diverse enough, a Cyberpunk claim could be a lot of fun, letting players try their best at a corporate raid Shadowrun-style.

What we can do will be enhanced or limited by the tools and what they let us do, as well as how diverse and robust they will be. It may also help to have tools and options for limited claim sharing, where I can assign certain buildings and such as "off-limits" and other sections being free for players to manipulate.

One feature I'm hoping for is a way to "bake" the claim, so it can be put in a state where terrain can be destroyed but will automatically heal like the rest of the world. This way, the things we make can be interacted with by players in a way that might be similar to how they'd play in EQN itself.

I'm also hoping there will be scale-capable 3D grids which we can use to help with the design process, to help us align all the parts and sections with ease. That also makes it easier to design modular structures that allow multiple players to create works independently before coming to one claim to Voltron them all together. Being able to then grab vertices from the grid and drag them around to deform the structures built using that grid system would be even more amazing (like a deformation tool in a 3D modeling program).

I'm looking forward to it, either way. I've been holding off from getting other sandbox world builders because none of them look like they have even close the level of features of EQNL.
    • Up x 2
  2. Telsa Active Member

All kinds, though i'm probably going to try to make my mage tower in the mountains as a solo first attempt.
  3. CocoaNut Member

I've got a bit of an odd answer for you. I plan on recording me building and posting the videos on YouTube, along with streaming some builds. I'll be doing the building and decision-making solo, but I plan to incorporate input from others into my builds.

So somewhat solo, somewhat group.
  4. Brisbanoch New Member

Starting with a small group (2-3 friends) than potentially opening it up to a larger group of folks depending whether or not I could fine some people I could trust not to ruin it.
  5. Mallas Scumlord Well-Known Member

I will do small maybe bigger builds and mostly solo. I am sure some of the people i know through the forums or Into the Portal will all get together and build stuff.

I have my own builds i want to do and none will be fast so need to work on those. But maybe every week or bi weekly get involved with a big build.
    • Up x 1
  6. morrythunder Active Member

I voted for the "everything" option, even though I suspect I'm mostly going to be "soloing" my own claim most of the time. I don't mind helping others with their construction.
    • Up x 1
  7. Jensen Member

Mostly solo. Not completely perhaps, but mostly. It takes a lot of energy to deal with people, even in a game. After a long day of work, the last thing I want is to socialize. The extroverts reading this aren't going to be picking up what I am putting down, but that's ok. :) To each their own.
  8. Snuppun New Member

I answered all, but I'll probably be doing small groups for the most part (with my wife and possibly other friends/family). however and if a lot of friends from my old EQ2 guild ends up playing we might do some larger scale building as well.
    I will probably be more of a gatherer than a builder in any case.
  9. Acks Member

I'll probably just start with solo builds but I expect to move along to group builds once I meet like-minded folks or find a guild. I haven't considered the possibility of massive open public builds but I guess that's one way to meet people.
  10. McGloom New Member

I plan on making my own little place and if I can find a guild I will help them in anyway I can.
    • Up x 1
  11. PatchworkGirl New Member

Most likely solo, but depending on how many of my friends participate in it, possibly small group/guild as well.
  12. n10city New Member

My play style in most mmorpgs is solo. Though I enjoy a well rounded group when needed and when my friends are on I typically will join them. My job requires a lot of time away from my PC an as such I tend to fall behind my friends who play, hence the reason I tend to solo. Having said all that, I think I will begin building in landmark as a solo endeavor, possibly participating with my close friends in small groups until I feel like I can contribute competently to a larger project.
  13. Askari New Member

I'd love to see massive community projects for two reasons:
    1) Builds community and makes the game feel more social.
    2) As resource sinks, to keep the economy healthy.

As an example, I'd love it if fast travel nodes throughout a server acted like this:
    • The fast travel nodes started inactive, as communal Plots, with an existing template and permissions set to only allow addition of resources to the existing template.
    • After players added HUGE amounts of mats to the template and completed it, the fast travel node would become operational.
    • The top 100 contributors would have their name on an interactable plaque placed on the node.
    • Players that participated by adding resources to the node would get achievements, maybe a title, maybe a Prop for their Plot, maybe a cool hat or some other appearance gear.
    • If they wanted to be really nice, they could even give those who helped build the node a discount on using the node or a 1/day free teleport to that node.
    It would also be cool if you had to maintain these nodes (by occasionally adding wood, stone), as a resource sink for the economy, and offset that with a discount on traveling through that node.
    • Up x 1
  14. Xandarra Member

I'll be doing a lot of exploring and gathering but I will be experimenting with building both solo and helping out my guild.
  15. Zinwrath Member

I imagine most people will work solo or in small groups of friends to start with like minded ideas with talents they respect.

As people create things and learn of each other, we will see collaboration between like minded people. But just like anything else, I'm not gonna just jump into building something with 3 strangers...as they may not all have artistic skills up to my personal par...or build stuff I simply don't agree with which could result in an argument and a slow to impossible progression.

But as people make friends and find things they respect in each other, you will probably see small bands of players create massive and great things. I however don't see any MASSIVE guild of strangers working together on a single project any time soon, as it requires a lot of trust and acknowledgement to allow someone else to build along side you...plus too many people means too many visions going in different directions, which would require too much management to keep everyone on the same page and opportunities for people to "troll".

Would be neat to see people with good farming skills team up with people who are efficient and talented builders. That would be an amazing relationship "I gather while you turn my hard work into masterpieces" I may not be talented at décor...but perhaps I know how to reach those hard to get resources and am efficient at it. Anyway, just my thoughts on it.
  16. Zinwrath Member

To add to my last comment, perhaps some kind of donating arrangement could be made. Perhaps I'm a great builder and people LOVE my work and want to see more of it. There should be systems in place for me to accept "donations" of either currency or supplies...so people who want to help me roll out things they love faster can contribute in their own way.

This would be a very popular and important feature I believe.
  17. Kruzzen New Member

So I am curious, when building, will there be gravity? I mean can we make any shape or will structural soundness take effect?
  18. Arborhawk New Member

Solo to start and learn. Then look for a good group to maybe join.
  19. Asphyx Well-Known Member

I will probably start off solo, just to get use to the building tools. After that.. I would like to branch out and build with other players.
    I would love to be part of a large group of folks who come together to build the next High Keep, Felwithe, or Befallen.

I don't think the real fun starts till SOE give us players the specifications for a certain build you will be looking for in EverQuest Next.
    I still haven't decided what type of area I want to build, or what I will construct first. I really should start planning!

I am excited for Landmark, and I can't wait to get in! I haven't been this excited about a game in years! :)
    • Up x 1
  20. Zephyrnix New Member

EXACTLY. This is the ONLY Sony gaming Branch that is Innovative. And with this innovation, we'll have TOTAL control over what and how we make our guild halls and such. With that said, I wonder how many ***** towers are we gonna see
    • Up x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.