Wow, so much Ranger Hate...wwhat gives?

Discussion in 'Ranger' started by ARCHIVED-Taeolen, Dec 18, 2006.

1. ARCHIVED-Wil81115 Guest

You aren't a Ranger, are you? I can solo just fine, but I swap gear and poisons for solo'n. Groups have never been a problem for me. So I hope you are speaking for yourself.
    I do agree that PVP RUINED the PVE Ranger, wholeheartly in fact.
    I don't want utility, I don't want buffs. I want my DPS back. Simple and as plain as that.. After I have 100aa's this position may change. After 78aa's I am liking what I'm seeing so far though.
  2. ARCHIVED-BadDemocracy Guest

Maybe it's because most rangers try to be DPS machines and constantly TRY to pull aggro off the tank just to flex their woodland muscle. It gets really annoying, and it isn't skillfull (Just spam CA's). The real challenge to playing good is scaling your DPS so you don't pull agro and get oneshotted.
  3. ARCHIVED-TerriBlades Guest

HAHA OMG Are you serious? Please tell me you dont play a tank. Please tell me that you can keep agro from a ranger! LMAO Cause if you seriously mean what you wrote, all I can say is... YOU SUCK!. Theres no way that a tank should be losing agro to a ranger. We have so many ways to keep that from happening its not even funny.

As for my DPS, I dont have any complaints. I personally enjoy the DPS I do. I also dont mind not having any utility to speak of. Ask any wizzy, warlock, or assassin how much utlility they have? They'll likely say they have none, and at best, very little. Its just the nature of the beast.
  4. ARCHIVED-Mirdo Guest

I smell troll - not even a very subtle one.
    Mirdo.
  5. ARCHIVED-Gerdos Guest

BD is right. There are going to be some rangers wanting to flex their [expletive haxx0red by Raijinn] in some situations at this early stage of EoF.. especially after many rangers feeling inadequate during KoS. BD is also right, that the challenge for rangers and all other dps classes is to optimise your dps and controlling agro.
    As for pulling agro .. its actually much easier now then what it was.
    More importantly, there are certain new named (raid) encounters that favour range dps which places rangers in a interesting position. High DPS offset by the high chance to pull agro. I've found myself having to hold back more in EoF raids then KoS already .. so i'm still learning/adjusting to a new rythem on certain named encounters. All Fun though! :smileywink:
  6. ARCHIVED-LoreLady Guest

On a lighter note, I find it funny on the classes claiming they should be "top dps"

Both the necro AND conj in my guild claim they should be top dps because they have are two people..
    A wizard thinks they should be top dog because they are casters
    A ranger thinks he should be the top because of the most cash paid
    An assassin thinks he should be top because he thinks he does the most work..(tell me another one lol :p)
    And brigands/swashies just want it all :p

Unfortunatly, theres no one in the highest end of EoF yet.. The raids that are out there are still building themselves out, and only afew people have 100 aa's by now.. No one has the beset EoF gear, so getting a "relitive parse" isent something we can do right now..

I really think it comes down to this with you guys, your own mind can be your best friend or your worst foe.
  7. ARCHIVED-Shadowbain Guest

well i have to say is that none of you understand my point lol, i never once said Rangers are not good DPS or that they CANT solo. I did say that there are other classes that solo better and on a RAID Rangers have nothing to offer but there DPS wich can easly be match by other classes who offer more then just DPS.

if you take the ranger out of the raid and add a necro then you have the same if not better DPS plus combat rezz or a Brigand then you have good debuffs that make the enire raid do better or a shashy same thing better raid DPS plus the swashy can match the DPS of the ranger. you can put just about any DPS class in the game in place of a ranger and have a better raid for it.

now i know many of you are trying to spin this into me saying Rangers are bad DPS or that they Cant solo but all im saying is Rangers dont have a place in TOP END RAIDS and SOE needs to fix that and give something to a ranger that gives them a solid spot on raids.

there is no top raid guilds in this game that tries to make room for a ranger on raids over any other class. why you ask? cause they have less to offer for the success of the raid.
    Have you ever seen a Top End raid guild activly trying to recruit a Ranger? hmmmm... think there is a reason why they dont? lol need i say more?
    Message Edited by Shadowbain on 12-21-2006 07:36 AM
  8. ARCHIVED-Ranja Guest

Then you need a new tank:) I parse 1200-1500 and never steal aggro. Do you have hate increase in your MT group? I also use GM CAustic and crit for over 2000 with it and still do not steal aggro. Sounds like your MT group needs some help:)
  9. ARCHIVED-Shadowbain Guest

About agro management on a Ranger? i can do 2500 DPS and not rip from the tank. If a ranger is pulling agro then they dont know there class well :p now sometimes i do rip on the tank but not ofteh at all.
    the class that rips more then any other in our guild is a Warloc. but put the casters with a Troub and most of the ripping on raids goes away :p
  10. ARCHIVED-LoreLady Guest

The arguement about rangers vs brigands/necro's is a valid one, but its an debate that neither of us should get into untill we see more rangers/other classes getting better gear and 100 aa's..

Replying to the part thats bolded here.. The top guild on my server has 4 rangers in it - out of 35ish people.. They arent recruiting rangers because they have alot of them as it is..
  11. ARCHIVED-TheStormrider Guest

Rangers do add _some_ utility, if they choose too. Albeit not a large amount. First off our 24% slow is a HUGE debuff on a raid, and it stacks with almost every other slow out there, including totems. Our str/int/wis/agi debuffs also do a lot towards helping the raid. Maybe not on their own, but stacked again, with other classes, its a big difference.
    For example in DT, the split drakes with a partial raid group due to ld's and disco's was almost un-doable without slows/debuffs, but was very doable with the slows and debuffs (2 rangers one on each of the globules).
    Now, im sick of having to pay for our dps, and id love to not have to have the absolute best gear to compete, but to say that were ****, and provide no buffs/debuffs is a bit silly. Lack of proper dieties? yes. Some bugged skills? Yes. Annoying stealth nerfs (like surveil and the stealth nerf to traps) Yes. Sheer expense of playing a ranger is by far the worse.
    I dont know how many of you read other forums, but pretty much, every class has a major gripe, and that will never change. The best thing we can do is provide feedback. And when the time comes, find a new game, and play the ranger there. Until it is nerfed.
  12. ARCHIVED-Gerdos Guest

Re: high end raid guilds not needing rangers.

SecondDawn have always had 2 active raid rangers.
    NPU didnt have 1 during KoS, but recruited a ranger a few weeks ago.
    Dissolution dont have one, and argued for a long time against using them. They also have strict rules on roster quota which they are capped on now. They would do well to recruit 1 next.

I dont know of any other core raiding guild who dont use rangers.

Re: DPS

I've seen warlocks parse over 4k on some encounters, wizards and necro's reguarly parse b/w 3.5-4k dps. I've also seen rangers parse between 3-3.8k against similiar mobs. Although these figures are limited to certain trash mobs.

However, i see rangers parse in the top 5 (usually top 3) in all encounters .. with assassins (although, some of the new named encounters will have assassins behind range dps classes) .. while manaburn/lifeburn players and warlocks, summoners, rogues DONT have advantage of being up there EVERY fight. The single greatest benefit rangers provide over any other dps class .. is that in almost every situation (other then strict melee only fights .. limited to Tarinax, Vyemm) rangers will always provide T1 DPS. Long fights, short fights, single target, group encounters, ... while having the best self agro control in game.

As i've already said, dps is more situational now and no 1 class dominates dps (about time) ... and great rangers certainly have a place in any raiding guild ... especially in EoF.

Personally i get tired by this whole debate ... reguarly voiced by those not capable of doing the kind of dps that some rangers can do ... or players using incorrect facts to push an argument.
    I assure you, the problem does not lie in the class ...
  13. ARCHIVED-Prandtl Guest

Message Edited by Prandtl on 12-26-2006 05:45 PM
  14. ARCHIVED-Juniger Guest

Sorry guys that was me saying those jokes. I'll try and come up with some new ones.

Face it guys people don't know any better, just tell them what I do. I tell grps if I cast pathfinding 3 times it gives power regen, then I tell them that I also have great debuffs, and that I proc the tank. When they look for the icon I tell them it's an SoE bug and not to let that out.

Q. Whats the shortest Ranger joke ever?

A. LFG

hahahahaha, get use to all

70 Ranger
  15. ARCHIVED-PonderStibbons Guest

As an ex-SWG ranger, I can see I've come to the right place :)

Ranger. It's not a profession class, it's a lifestyle!
  16. ARCHIVED-Shadowbain Guest

hmmmm Rangers have a slow? and stat debuffs? i keep looking for mine but i just done see them :p not SNARE but a SLOW? to decrease attack speed? cause snare dose not work on epics.
  17. ARCHIVED-TheStormrider Guest

We have poisons that does either 24% or 26% attack speed debuff. We also have a poison that decreasese melee skills and a stat, or caster skills and a stat etc etc.
    These are in addition to our poisons that proc damage.
    Couple this with a totem and you have a very nicely slowed mob. We can not however use our attack speed poison at the same time as our deaggro.
  18. ARCHIVED-jjlo69 Guest

i know groups dont ask me to come along cause i hit the mobs to hard and tank more then the tank usally. plus ppl hate when my marr cloak proc goes off and im the size of a thundering steeps gaint in a small hall way hehe
    Message Edited by jjlo69 on 12-26-2006 02:13 PM
  19. ARCHIVED-Shadowbain Guest

ok so the one useful thing you say about the ranger is usen poisons to slow epics Hmmm... i though ALL scout DPS classes got those poisons so again replace the ranger with a swashy or brigand on a raid and you still get better utility plas debuffs :p and when im on raids i can only use Ignorant Bliss or i rip and die non-stop :p all i have to bring is my DPS and that i can bring but so do the other scouts who alsu have other things to offer :p
    my point is rangers have nothing over any other DPS class at all and all other DPS classes have things to offer a ranger cant.
    this thread is about why so many people have stuff against rangers :p im just trying to show you all why this is and none of you understand my point wich is shared by all those out there who have something against Rangers.
  20. ARCHIVED-Teksun Guest

Are you sure about that? The 'slow' poison is movement, not attack speed.