Wow, so much Ranger Hate...wwhat gives?

Discussion in 'Ranger' started by ARCHIVED-Taeolen, Dec 18, 2006.

1. ARCHIVED-Taeolen Guest

It's funny, really. Everytime I broadcast that I am looking for a group there's always at least one smart [expletive haxx0red by Raijinn] who has to make some comment about Rangers sucking, etc. That, or some one will pop off with they're LFG too and do more damage than a **** like Ranger, or something like that; I'm sure you get the jist of it.

I just simply don't know what to think about it all. It's really funny but at the same time it's sad because usually I get left out of groups. Yet, everytime I turn on the parser in a group I'm always on top of it, no matter what classes are in the group.

Are people just that ignorant or is there a real problem with Ranger? I personally think it's just ignorance.
  2. ARCHIVED-Rienlos Guest

Yea I hear ya. Been leveling my ranger (only 42 now) and I've been much lower than people in the group (was told they were only inviting me because I was scout) and I was actually able to top parse and it was OJ mobs to me.

Not sure where the misconception is. In group play I definately seem to rock the parse. Not sure what else people are looking for in a ranger.
  3. ARCHIVED-Gareorn Guest

Challenge them. If we are so bad, then surely the tank will be able to hold aggro. Then take your aggro reducers off and generate as much hate as you can, then throw it back in their faces. A tank that allows a ranger to pull aggro must be a really bad tank. I can pull aggro from a pally with amends on me. Done it by accident a couple of times. I know I can do it if I try.
  4. ARCHIVED-LoreLady Guest

What if this happens consistantly when you have your agro reducers on, using surviel on longblade/vieled fire, and have ignorant bliss on.. And you steal agro on every other fight for say 5 groups straight? - true story, no exageration :p
  5. ARCHIVED-Taeolen Guest

LOL, I'll have to try that sometime then. Hell, I pull aggro sometimes when I crit on my stealth shot line with my aggro buffs up. Next time I'm in a group like that I'll turn it off. :p

On a side note was in a group the other night when my stealth shot crit for almsot 3k and the group was like WOW NICE HIT, and the Guardian (the GUARDIAN) says, "Thanks". :smileyvery-happy:

Maybe there's a lot of crappy Rangers out there too. I've also been in groups when people are like A Ranger that actually uses his bow?
  6. ARCHIVED-blackdog1 Guest

Part of the problem is our selves.We moan and complane so much about how under powered we are peeps that would normally have no idea at all about it are starting to use it against us.We are becoming are own worst enemy.

I just put up the LFG tag.Eventually I will get a group.
  7. ARCHIVED-Somethiing Guest

Theres no class aside from Necros and Warlocks that can outdps me, ever.
    Theres no ranger hate on this server.

If you haven't figured it out, our dps is almost entirely from ranged auto attacks. What makes you a good ranger, is what you do between these auto attacks.
    If you do too many ca's, you delay your autoattack and mess up your dps. If you do too little, you're sitting around waiting on an auto attack and mess up your dps.

Message Edited by Somethiing on 12-18-2006 02:02 PM
  8. ARCHIVED-Giland Guest

More than likely, this goes back to EQL.
    People would give rangers a hard time because in raids, if they got agro, they died. No agro reducers, etc. Rangers also pulled most raids with monks and died a lot to that.
    However, it was always good natured ribbing. Rangers could sometimes save a raid with weaponshield since it gave them 15-20 seconds of not being hit from the front. Two rangers was often enough to allow a cleric to camp if they got low health agro, then got WS off in time. I had a personal experience where rangers actually saved th raid and got the kill as the main tank died, the rangers where going down in order, but each one used his/her weaponshield to extend the time by the 15-20 seconds, allowing everyone else to burn the mob down. At the end, we had two people standing. The last ranger, and a wizard.
  9. ARCHIVED-Gareorn Guest

I will say this about the whole Ranger-hate thing. We were our worst enemies. Everyone believed we sucked because many of us used to go on and on and on about it. But if you look around, most of those guys who wouldn't shut up about our low DPS betrayed to Assassin so they could once again be at the top of the parse.

Now look at them. They are still complaining. Ever since EoF came out and they kind of got shafted on the EoF AA tree, they've been complaining about how they are no longer at the top of their parses. If there is one thing consistent with EQ2, it's that things will change. If you don't like your character now, just wait until the next expansion.

Remember the huge LU13 Guardian nerf? Look at them now. Would anyone argue that they are the best raid tanks in the game?
  10. ARCHIVED-Rexx Everything Guest

This is so true. Even years after we were largely fixed in that regard, those "RANGER DOWN" jokes persisted. I still hear them occasionally in EQ2. First impressions are hard to live down it seems. And boy do I miss /disc weaponshield; the deity power Tunare's Lifeshield is a close replacement though. Ahh memories. :smileyhappy:

To the OP: you mention you're often running a parser... so show yourself off and spit those numbers out into group chat! Yes it can be annoying so don't do it regularly, or better yet ask the group first if it's okay. Eventually folks will see the dps you're putting out and you will be able to build a network of friends who know and appreciate the hurtin' you put on mobs. Also, ending each group with something like "thanks for the group, if you guys ever need some dps, look me up" can go a long way towards players remembering you and inviting you to groups in the future.

And one more thing. Don't sweat it too much about the clowns in the Level channels. I'm sure every server has their share of trolls and know-it-alls who infest those channels. The lower tier ones actually seem to be the worst, as if everyone is trying to prove their EQ2 awesomeness and that they're not really a noob, hee. Level 60_69 and Level_70 are a little better (emphasis on a little).
  11. ARCHIVED-Taeolen Guest

Oh, I played a Ranger in EQ1 too (still my favorite class of any MMORPG ever) so I'm very familiar to Ranger ribbing.
    Such classics as:
    A Ranger walks into a bar. Loading, please wait ...
    /shout TRAIN INCOMING OUTTA THE WAY WOMEN AND RANGERS FIRST.
    But, all of those were funny. In this game it's just stupid the crap people say. :/
  12. ARCHIVED-Gastrocnemius Guest

Alot of it came to because rangers were waaaayyyy overpowered for a bit there. It was fun and great and all but everyone complained. Then the rangers got nerfed. So many complained all the time that it just spread around and everyone believed it. Well, rangers were nerfed, they delt with it and they can still do some friggin awesome DPS. If i'm starting a group I always love to have a scout with me, especially if it's a ranger :)
  13. ARCHIVED-Haruk Guest

I've seen many bad rangers too, and lots of people think we suck because of that...the other day this ranger I grouped with on an alt refused to do any ranged attacks, why you ask? Because "My melee attacks are quicker" he says, that's just one example, too. I've seen so many really bad rangers lately...I'm not saying all of them are bad, and ranger is unlike any other class, so perhaps they just aren't used to it.
    I'm not trying to be an [expletive haxx0red by Raijinn], just wanted to add this though.
    Message Edited by Haruk312 on 12-18-2006 09:00 PM
  14. ARCHIVED-Taeolen Guest

I always stand int he position where I can hit my melee CAs and my ranged CAs. The magic spot as I like to call it.
    But, apparantly it's rare to see a Ranger in a group using their bows. I've heard the comment, "Wow, a Ranger who uses his bow" one too many times when I join a group. Also heard people say it's only worth it if they have a bow that does good damage. >.<
  15. ARCHIVED-frostbane Guest

I like to "sweet Spot" as i call it a lot. But honestly with the price of arrows when i group i usually do melee just to conserve arrows.
    As for DPS, our guild occasionally runs a bunch of the t6 raid zones for loot for alts and guild XP. I usually bring my ranger along for these (main is a warden), and my ranger is only 61. But i'd say on 50% of the parses i actually show up (usually at the bottom) and i'm wearing junk cobalt armor with MC jewelry. I don't get the good DPS buffs because those all go to the 70's to help the zone go quicker. My STR is much lower then the other melee DPS classes and yet i manage to show up on the parse even with a 9 level deficit.
  16. ARCHIVED-Starwindz Guest

My advice is simply this, Let the parse do your talking. Thats usually enough :smileywink:
    Message Edited by Starwindz on 12-18-2006 11:44 PM
  17. ARCHIVED-Arleonenis Guest

Yeah there are quite few peoples that think ranger are crappy but as i see you play on AB server same as me you need to know that at top levels 65-70 this isnt true anymore;)

Only times when my parser is low is when i tank mob becouse tank cant hold aggro;P Unfortunetly it happens a lot, there are so many crappy tanks that its pathetic. One out of Five will know to turn mobs around ((who sane want that ranger run 3m in front of group just to shoot mob into backs?)) or will listen to me when i told him to do so and One out of Eight will probably hold aggro no matter what. Even some fabled tanks have hard time keeping aggro if i crit few times in row on my most damaging master 1 bow cas but elude + surveil and its good;)

Most regular tanks... lets say i tank mobs more than they do so i was forced to increase my survivalibity, shield, 2x Dark Chitin Ring and such, and maxed out parry in strength line plus ofcorse maxed out agility line for dmg... so i actually can survive quite a beating if im in defensive stance... and unfortunetly with those tanks im forced to fight all the way in defensive stance and i still steal aggro... not event mentioning i stoped using poisons in groups... just a waste of resources and aggro magnet even worst

But well there are also those rangers especially in mid levels that think they are some kind of assassins and they MELEE, also they strength is closer to mage str than to what they must have, and those rangers give us bad name, they dmg output is pathetic, they survivability extremally low and if someone let say tank will group with such ranger he really starting to belive rangers are *****...

Thats all on that matter i think;) Keep up a good job and maintain a list of tanks which shouldnt be aloved to MT group ;)
  18. ARCHIVED-Teksun Guest

I get ribbed by my guild a LOT, but it's all in good fun. They know I can hit the top of the parse, even over the summoners on occasion (rare occasions).

I like that idea of turning the deagro off. I think I'll try it next time I get griefed in a pog
  19. ARCHIVED-Gareorn Guest

I don't ususally group outside my guild. And, everyone knows I'm conserving arrows for the raids. So I don't get any grief when I melee in groups, which I almost always do. Besides, they all know that I'll back off and start flinging arrows if the situation requires me too.
  20. ARCHIVED-LoreLady Guest

Alot of it comes from outward propsective, assassins are in the doom and gloom stage where they shouldent - brigands as well... Warlocks and rangers were in a large need of help in KoS, the AA tree's have helped that alot.. Now that those classes have gotten a boost its funny to see the classes that were ontop in KoS complain because everything is scaled towards them..