Windows 10 problem

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Mikhail Beresnev, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Yavie Active Member

So, I AM currently playing EQ2 on my brand new( 2 week old upgrade) pc, if you don't count the crashes because of DirectX. I will have to see if I can get DirectX 9 and see if that helps. Currently I can't seem to log in at all.
  2. Geroblue Well-Known Member

They are there... but my computer, even with settings for graphics on low, gets me letterbox screen instead of full screen.

Earlier today the interface said they weren't there, now they are available, but I crash out to desktop. Windows says I am running out of ram. Only thing running was EQ II.

I can add more ram to my computer, but it wont be this month... so I guess I wont be able to game in EQ II for now.
  3. Yavie Active Member

So, let me get this straight, it should run okay with DirectX 11? Or do I need to put DirectX 9 on?
  4. The_Real_Wurm Well-Known Member

You need to unzip the file provided into your eq2 folder to use windows 10 properly.

The devs could add those files to the downloader, I'm not sure why they don't.
    Feldon likes this.
  5. The_Real_Wurm Well-Known Member

What graphics card are you using? If its an onboard cpu card you have to remember that it is using the system ram as video ram.
  6. flameweaver Well-Known Member

EQ2 needs to have Dx9 installed. Download from http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=8109
    Run the file once it's downloaded and let it unpack the DX9 files to a folder, once finished, search your folder for DXSETUP.exe. Run this to install DX9.
  7. The_Real_Wurm Well-Known Member

As was covered earlier in this thread you cannot install DirectX 9 on Windows 10. There is a link provided that has the DirectX files needed for the game and the instructions on how to place them into your EQ2 folder.
    Feldon likes this.
  8. Svenone Well-Known Member

Did a quick 'Windows 10 and DirectX 9" search and found this:

Code:
    - Another common misconception is that you need to install DX 9.0c to run older DX9 games. Not so.
    This version has been superseded by the DX Redist (June 2010) [I]which has all of the DX9.0c files[/I] and more.

This installer is the best option if DirectX files are corrupted.

Download Details - Microsoft Download Center - DirectX Redist (June 2010)
    While the standard installer for DirectX 9.0c may not work with Windows 10, I believe this 'redist'ributable version will.
  9. Evguenil62 Well-Known Member

I installed EQ2 on a fresh Windows 10 installation about 4 months ago on my second laptop. It didn't ask me to install any additional software and started to work out of the box. I'm quite sure, if EQ2 needs an extra file of two, developers would have added it a long time ago. There can be some exceptions of course, but creating non-working installation package software for a brand new Windows 10 is very unlikely.
    Armageddoux likes this.
  10. The_Real_Wurm Well-Known Member

Oh it "works" right out of the box for sure, the files you add prevent a lot of the crashes people have.
  11. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Yup, a chip. Only seeing the middle third of the screen, the rest is a black letterbox.

I get full screen in EQ, but not EQ II.

I have a card, but my computer takes a newer version of the PCIx video card. I just don't have the money right now.
  12. The_Real_Wurm Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that, however if your older card is still PCIx it should still work, it just won't be able to take full advantage of the pipeline.
  13. Tkia Well-Known Member

The letterbox is a game setting. You need to go into the ingame options and find it to turn it off
  14. flameweaver Well-Known Member

DX9 can be installed on Windows 10. I've done this many times. You MAY need to "run as administrator" but there's nothing in Windows 10 that will stop it being installed.

You might want to read this this MS Technet article: https://social.technet.microsoft.co...rectx-9-on-windows-10?forum=win10itprogeneral
    Prissetta likes this.
  15. The_Real_Wurm Well-Known Member

Sorry flameweaver, the newest release of Windows 10 brings the message that there is already a higher version of DirectX installed and it stops. Here it is in German...

[IMG]

Yes I know there are ways to get around that, I've been an IT department manager / Microsoft Certified System Administrator for close to 20 years now, however...

Like I said all you have to do is copy those files provided by feldon into your EQ2 folder and the problem is solved.
    Feldon and Prissetta like this.
  16. Evguenil62 Well-Known Member

I still don't understand why EQ2 installation needs some older files from Direct X9.
    You said it helps to prevent a lot of crashes people have. OK, it could be (although personally I don't have any on my two systems)
    Why EQ2 developers do not put those two or three files into installation package?
    Nobody told them about this solution and they simply do not know that solution exist?
    Or perhaps you needs these files for some very old useful add-ons, skins, plugins, etc... ?
    Feldon likes this.
  17. The_Real_Wurm Well-Known Member

We are all very very glad you aren't having issues, you want your answer? I suggest going through the support forums thoroughly, you will find a ton of people who aren't as lucky as you.
  18. Evguenil62 Well-Known Member

Installing old and obsoleted software is not recommended. Then people start to wonder why their EQ2 crashes 6 times per one PG run.
  19. flameweaver Well-Known Member

I agree with the sentiment, however EQ2 won't run without DX9 being installed. Like many games of it's era, the client checks to see if DX9 isinstalled and I suspect it's beyond anyone's desire at DBG to put any effort into updating the client.
    Feldon likes this.
  20. flameweaver Well-Known Member

Maybe it's a nationalisation issue ? I have the (English) creators update installed and I not having any issues.
    If EQ2 was the only DX9 game I played, this would be a viable option, however given the number of DX9 games I have installed on my PC, having DX9c properly implemented on system is the better option - at least for me.
    DX9 provides API calls that EQ2 uses to output it's graphics and sound to your PC. Without DX9 installed EQ2 won't run. It checks specifically for DX9 being available.
    Prissetta likes this.