Windows 10 Launch

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Moonpanther, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Moonpanther Well-Known Member

Ok, I've already put in for it but have not installed it yet, as I'm waiting for other opinions from my fellow gamers. If anyone has any input on how it is working with this game, landmark, and other games please feel free to share it here. I really don't want to install it until I get more real time input on it.

Thanks in Advance.
    Moon

PS I know there was another thread, but couldn't remember the name of it so excuse me if this is a duplicate post. I think the other one was posted a while back. :D
    Seefar and HaphazardAllure like this.
  2. Siren Well-Known Member

Wow, those in our household are getting Win7 to Win10 update download failures, and tried the Admin/command prompt wuauclt.exe /updatenow trick on "check for updates" to no avail. Personally, I have a Roland Quad-Capture guitar/vocal recording device which of course Roland still has no Win10 drivers for, so I'm holding off on Win 10 until then. But as for the rest of us, methinks we shall wait a few more days until the furor settles down to try downloading again....
    SierraDawn, Seefar and Moonpanther like this.
  3. Lucus Well-Known Member

Gonna stay away from windows 10 me thinks. just doing a bit of internet searches this whole 'we gonna force you to update everything' is total BS even if they remove it i still will not get it. It's a bad idea to force updates on users regardless of whether they are savvy or not. even someone who is not tech savvy should know to always install security updates and then choose what else they want.

Whenever windows wants me to install one of their ****** *** generic drivers i ignore them, if i want drivers i'll get them from the manufacturer of my hardware because they know what works, what doesn't and you don't have to worry about the drivers trying to do something your hardware is not designed for and you don't have to worry about legacy programs stop working because updates have altered specific files the program needs to function.

I just hope for the users that dislike the touchscreen **** that you can customize it away.

The only reason for me to update to a new OS is gaming requirements. remember the old saying "internet explorer is great for downloading firefox!" we'll see if this mutates to the new browser.

It always annoyed me that dependency files other programs needed were always shipped to windows not as a part of the OS but as a part of internet explorer.

here are some good tips and info if you want to upgrade and settings you may want to change because Microsoft wants to change things for the sake of change. pages 7-8-11-13-14-16 should be of interest, i strongly recommend you view page 7, 8 and 16 for security and hardware issues.

sharing your wi-fi network password across your contacts on facebook, skype and outlook is an incredibly stupid feature for them to want you to have on by default.
  4. Josgar Active Member

To be fair, you have to choose to share the network for it to be applicable to wifi sense and you have to allow wifi sense to access your facebook for it to share with your facebook contacts. Yes, I can see where people are going to unknowingly do it. But it isn't as crazy unsecure as you put it.

I'm pretty sure Windows 8 already stored your wifi password in the cloud as I remember an instance where I got a new computer and it automatically connected to my wifi after signing into my new computer. Kind of creepy. Kind of cool,

You can also remove all of the live tiles from the start menu if you don't want them and resize it so that the space they occupied is gone. And you can additionally disable Cortana if you wish. Additionally the Windows 10 Apps aren't as touch crazy as the windows 8 apps used to be.

All of this being said, I would recommend that you go through the Windows 10 install settings and carefully read and choose which features are activated by default by choosing the "Customize" option instead of the "Default Settings Option". So that you can set your privacy how you want from the get-go. Otherwise you can go through the settings App after install.

I'm currently logged into EQ2 and I'm not having any problems. I did have to do an additional update and reboot after installing Windows 10 for my Nvidia drivers to install.
    Moonpanther likes this.
  5. Deago Well-Known Member

6. Detor Active Member

I actually have been testing Windows 10 for months now, and I can kind of agree with you there. After the RTM version (the one people will be downloading today) was out nVidia pushed down a driver update. You couldn't refuse it - and it completely broke 3D applications. I go to log into EQ2 and it's just a horrible garbled mess of weird colors and just nothing looking right (at 3 frames per second to boot). It was fine one day, and completely broken the next - all because they allowed nVidia to push down a broken driver update. Luckily they fixed that one pretty quick and sent down a newer driver to replace the broken one.

I'm FINE with Microsoft pushing down updates to the OS itself - especially security updates - but I don't trust vendors like nVidia to automatically push down driver updates anymore. All it takes is Marvell or Realtek to push down a faulty ethernet driver and knock out your internet and then good luck to you getting back online since Windows 10 defaults to system restore being off.
    Seefar, Moonpanther and Feldon like this.
  7. Feldon Well-Known Member

I won't install Windows 10 until I can disable Automatic Driver Updates. The drivers from Microsoft are awful.
    Eles, Foretold, Moonpanther and 3 others like this.
  8. Deago Well-Known Member

If you are determined to use Windows 10 wait awhile until things are somewhat smoothed out. This is a defensive stance.
    SierraDawn, Malleria and Moonpanther like this.
  9. Eschia Mousehold New Member

My spare laptop has the tech preview. I'm waiting a few days to update it to live version. I imagine the MS servers are swamped right now. My main PC I'm using now has linux mint running eq2 under wine. So I'm good to go. Join the penguin army. We have free WINE. :)
    Seefar and Deago like this.
  10. Deago Well-Known Member

I dine with Wine every night. Sometimes I get a good hot steam going and relax.
  11. Moonpanther Well-Known Member

Humm ya I'll be going from Win 7 to 10.
  12. Moonpanther Well-Known Member

Yeah I read about that wifi sharing crap already and I'm seriously just not going there EVER!. What a stupid freakin idea specially in this day and age and you can't tell me that is not exploitable. Thanks for the link, I'll check that out. :D
  13. Dread1313 Active Member

Just wait till someone reverse engineers it to not have forced updates and you'll be good to go.
    (It will happen eventually)
    Lucus and Moonpanther like this.
  14. Kendayar Active Member

Code:
    env x='() { :;}; echo shrekt' bash -c "how bout dem ssl exploits too"
    Moonpanther likes this.
  15. Blade Parker Active Member

I'm happy with windows 8 for now... Except for the crap app windows that I never use. I'm going to wait a bit for 10.
    Seefar and Moonpanther like this.
  16. Deago Well-Known Member

Not limited but I like you for the code :D
  17. Deago Well-Known Member

True.

As far as general ssl exploits are concerned though it is not limited. I will still take my chances.

I support the penguin!

At least you got the photo lol.
  18. Moonpanther Well-Known Member

Can't stand windows 8, have it on a laptop and it's the most annoying OS they've ever made. Yeah I think I'll wait for a bit.
  19. Deago Well-Known Member

I remember the first time I had to perform IT work on a win 8 machine. Was a pita. Easier now but when it originated it was like "what were they thinking?" lol

Sorry about the double reply above.
    Feldon likes this.
  20. Prayos Well-Known Member

Several sites already show that there is a way to disable this:

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/windows-10-disable-automatic-system-software-updates-004547029.html
    http://www.wired.com/2015/07/stop-windows-10-auto-updates/

Or you could go with any edition other than Home, and not worry about it at all. Since this is a feature only in the Home edition of Windows 10, and that edition is really meant for those who aren't as savvy as gamers, I'm okay with this. I'll be going with the Pro edition anyway, as I think many gamers would. The Home edition is the one meant for your parents/grandparents who don't know how to do much more than browse the internet and send an email. This will stop those calls at night "The computer wants to update itself, what do I do?"