Windows 10 Launch

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Moonpanther, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Maruven Member

I might move to it when they completely stop support for Win7.
    Siren likes this.
  2. Hornblende New Member

I know plenty of 20 somethings and younger that are technologically challenged. You could have just said "...people who...". A persons age has little to do with their ability to use technology.
    flameweaver likes this.
  3. flameweaver Well-Known Member

4. Alphonsus Well-Known Member

So I looked into if further. Apparently only single user licenses were eligible. The one installed on my work PC was part of a large license package my company purchased. So my company has to contact them directly to get a quote for however many licenses they need which isn't happening any time soon. No biggie, but on my other 2 pc's that I've tested W10 home it runs really nice. EQ2 was a bit sluggish at times on my laptop, so far with WIn10 home it's been running much smoother.

For those considering it, I'd wait a few weeks to see what issues people run into though.
  5. Wurm Well-Known Member

The person who keeps saying "Win 7 home sucks, go pro!" ... seriously? Are you a Microsoft shill?

I do this for a living, I'm the IT department manager of a midsize company with over 300 workstations and 20 servers. The only really noticeable difference between a Win 7 Pro and Home Premium edition is the lack of Domain security features. Thats it. I was given my Windows 7 Ultimate from Microsoft directly during the "Windows 7 rollout roadshow!" (Heck of a party BTW) but the rest of my home computers are running Windows 7 Home Premium and when I sit down at them I can't tell the difference.

The only reason back then for a home user to buy Windows 7 Pro was if they needed more than 16 gigs of ram or Virtual XP.
    s7n7a7k7e likes this.
  6. Wurm Well-Known Member

Are you sure it was done with the upgrade? I had issues too at first until I noticed it was download updates for a lot of my programs and drivers. It gives you no notice that it's doing it, and it does run sluggish until its done. I left it alone until it was done with upgrading all my apps (firefox among them) and updating all the drivers and afterwards (after a new start) the performance jump was instantly noticeable.
  7. Wurm Well-Known Member

You don't get an email... if you have the little white microsoft flag in your taskbar you are golden.

[IMG]

It will notify you when your copy is ready to install. And you can wait if you want, give it a couple of weeks for a few bug fixes, there is no rush, you have an entire year to make the switch.
    Moonpanther likes this.
  8. Leloes Well-Known Member

That's what I'm doing. I'll wait a little bit to get some of the bugs out of it.
  9. Siren Well-Known Member

I did a rollback. It took ten minutes. Now my PC is fine with Win 7 again.

My Roland Quad Capture that Win 10 didn't have drivers for (well, that Roland didn't release Win 10 drivers for) didn't work in Win 10 either, so I'm just as glad, but now it won't work in Win 7 either. :p Deleting and reinstalling the Roland again in Win 7 now, should be fine; I'll just have to get all my settings back in after that.

I won't touch Win 10 again until I'm forced to, though. It certainly didn't knock me dead.
  10. Wurm Well-Known Member

So you tried it for how long? Did you even let it finish updating? Sounds like you didn't.
  11. Leloes Well-Known Member

Mainly I just want to make sure Windows 10 works with all my games before I upgrade to it.
  12. KhaineUK Active Member

I force-upgraded my laptop and main gaming rig to windows 10.

Did a straight upgrade on the laptop and a wipe-upgrade on the gaming PC. Both running great and both running Windows 10 Pro (laptop was Win 7 Pro and desktop was Win 7 Ultimate).
  13. Wurm Well-Known Member

This is a straight fact about Windows 10 and one of the reasons people should upgrade to it for Everquest 2.

NO MORE EQ2 MEMORY LEAK!!! *

With Windows 7 the EQ2 Client Application (32 bit) would leak memory, the more you traveled, the more you zoned, the more you did in game, the higher and higher the amount of memory EQ2 would use.

Until you hit critical mass at around 3.1GB and crash to desktop.

With Windows 10, the highest I've seen it go is 1.6GB (in a play session of around 6 hours) and right now while idling in the guildhall the memory usage is actually going down!

Something I've never seen before in this game and especially not while in the guildhall!

Pretty Amazing. :cool:

* Of course that's not saying that our beloved development team won't somehow add it back in, but for right now it is completely gone.
  14. Deago Well-Known Member

Something happened...
    Something happened...
    Something happened...

This is already probably stamped on a few t-shirts.

:cool:
  15. Wurm Well-Known Member

Yeah right next to the Windows 8.0 logo :p

Speaking of T-Shirts this is also pretty funny.

[IMG]
    GrunEQ and Deago like this.
  16. Iadien Active Member

I've noticed that my FPS has gone up by about 10 in every game I've tried playing. It seems that Win 10 is much better for gaming than at least 8.1 was.
  17. gem6219 Member

Been running windows 10 since yesterday, no problems gaming or any other problem so far, dual booting windows 7 just in case.;)
  18. Deago Well-Known Member

The majority of today need nothing more than a functional browser. If they can facebook, email, bills, YouTube etc..they are happy.

Think about those new laptops, chromebooks, and these new pc sticks under 200 that sell well. They can do all of these things at 720-1080.

Just about any current OS can accomplish this criteria.

I understand that does not cover this crowds needs but in general Windows 10 will be fine. And that is coming from one who talks to penguins.

:p
  19. Rotherian Well-Known Member

Nah...this reply is my first post in this thread. :p
    s7n7a7k7e likes this.
  20. Wurm Well-Known Member

No penguins here, I do however talk to Chameleons... ;)

[IMG]
    Deago likes this.