Why you should make broker avail to f2p

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Ristoril, Oct 22, 2015.

1. mondobogus New Member

Hi...and bye to everyone! I've been playing this game F2P for a couple months now, but now I've come to find out F2P is only a gimmick, or F2T (Free to Try). First, let's clear up the definitions of what category a game fits into:

F2P - completely free; one does not need to buy anything to play all of it's content, though some bonuses might apply with a fee.

B2P - one must buy the game, or parts of it to play the full content. Usually this is the category where F2T fall under.

P2P - one must pay a subscription fee to play

This game is B2P, with P2P features. I say this because endgame (lvl100 and it's content) are only available if you buy the xpac. I would be fine with that IF for the price the extra character slots, mail system, full chat, and broker system were included. Given the age of this game (though fun to play still), they are asking WAY too much for the features the average player would like (xpac+sub/bought individually). At a bare minimum, they should include the added character slots permanently when a person buys the xpac...or stop charging for it....or make it computer based, not account based. I was ready to buy the xpac, until I saw the price + what's NOT included (more the latter). If I were to spend the same amount of money, it'd be on a newer game. Yes....there are a few that are just as fun, but run smoother.

So as for this discussion, I think the broker is the least of concerns for a F2P player. Alhough, they could at LEAST give the F2P players the ability to BUY from the broker. The fact that someone must buy the xpac eventually will be the bane of this game: less new players to replace veteran players who eventually quit = declining population.

{/$.02]
  2. Lucus Well-Known Member

chat and broker use are screws that DBG can use to get subscribers. being able to buy from the broker is significant in itself. they used to sell silver membership for $5 that let you have full access to chat and buy from broker. IMHO they should offer a silver subscription of $5-$7.50 a month for chat access and buying off broker, but i doubt they would do it even though they could probably make more money that way.

EQ2 is not P2P, by the definition P2P is where you need to pay to even be able to play. EQ2 is the definition of free to play, you are free to login and have access to content for free but some content is behind a paywall an expansion for an MMO is sort of like DLC or a sequel to shooter type games.

how many times have they rebooted and rebalanced call of duty with a new theme?

there is tons of content in EQ2 for free, if you want to play the latest content you can choose to pay and play the latest content or you can choose not to pay and not have access to the latest content.

remember that as they make more expansions they give out older expansions to everyone for free, in other words as more expansions are made more content is given out for free.

you don't have to spend a dime to enjoy F2P content in EQ2, your issue seems to be that there is some content that must be paid for, which i might add any F2P must have something that players can buy to keep the servers online and maintained.

there's no such thing as an online game that is F2P with official dedicated servers that doesn't have any sort of items/content that is paid for
    HaphazardAllure likes this.
  3. Meneltel Well-Known Member

EQ2 has the most generous F2P that I have read about. Compare what you get here compared to in World of Warcraft, for example. But if you think you would be happier somewhere else, good luck. Just remember, we will still be here if you change your mind.
    Livejazz, HaphazardAllure and Kuulei like this.
  4. mondobogus New Member

First of all...I said it's B2P...not P2P. Why is it B2P and not F2P? If you can't get to the endgame level where EVERYONE else ends up, or play the same raids/dungeons, what's the point of playing? You'll end up playing alone at endgame. That's why I say it's Free to Try. You can compare it with WoW, but not true F2P games ...like Aion (completely F2P...with ofc things you CAN buy, but not necessary).

Any game that has a lower level cap, or limits endgame content than if the player pays into the system is automatically a F2T game, not F2P, thus falls under the B2P category. Never mind even talking about the limitations on content from the start: can't send mail, only 1 chat (until you join a guild...then you can actual talk to people), no broker use, 2 character slots, no merc...and you keep finding more things as you go along...

So my question to you is...when's the last time you tried to play EQ2 as F2P? My challenge to you is to start a new account, play the new character without the latest xpac and membership, and see how F2P you think it is after.

note my reply to Lucus...

Your comparison is spot on...WoW is not a F2P game. It's F2T. Having played games like Aion, PWI, PoE, etc., and not just read about them, I can honestly say this game limits more content than any F2P by far, because a true F2P game doesn't limit ANY content (only features...sometimes). Maybe one day they'll stop charging so much, or at least include more as part of an xpac package. Maybe then you will see me again.
  5. Meirril Well-Known Member

If the market suddenly expands adding a lot of new buyers and sellers the price will become volatile until the market adjusts to the new standards. While individual buyers and sellers may loose in the new market, it is possible for a greater number of buyers and sellers to benefit (become happy) from the expanded market, even if the value of Krono goes down (or up) relative to plat.

The way the OPs idea might pan out is if access to the broker gives some of the more affluent F2P a reason to want plat. Without broker access, the F2P crowd doesn't really feel a desire for plat. But if they acquire a taste for buying things then they will feel a desire for plat. The easiest way to get plat? Sell a Krono. Bam! Instant fortune.

F2P isn't going to be buying Krono. At best you can hope they will either become subscribers, buy the current expansion, buy some market items and maybe, maybe sell a krono. By giving them free access to the broker the hope is it will create more demand for plat, and in a round about way more demand for Krono.

Instead of giving F2P full access to the broker, give them the ability to make purchases and sell krono. Keep the broker tokens to allow F2P to sell anything they want to.
  6. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

DBG doesn't make money on non-paying customers. They are not going to put effort into making F2P more comfortable for you, and honestly, I think they should make F2P more restrictive and annoying so that you'd be encouraged to subscribe.

You can't run a company and pay employees if people don't pay money to play your game. It's that's simple. Not all F2P is completely parasitical, but way too many F2P accounts aren't converting to subs or buying enough stuff on the marketplace to be worthwhile. We want EQ2 to be there for us, so we have to support it the only way that matters, and that's with our wallets.

When the F2P was thrown open as it was, it was believed that microtransactions would drive revenue. But I don't think it's making enough money. And if that's the case, then I would expect DBG to eventually drop F2P and revert back to some short-term game preview type F2P instead. Or at least restrict F2P access.

Only time will tell, since DBG doesn't release the kind of customer data that would allow a technical analysis of profitability of F2P.
    Kuulei likes this.
  7. Malleria Well-Known Member

Why do people keep saying they can't buy things from the broker when F2P? I just bought a bunch of things. Just can't sell without the tokens.
  8. Mermut Well-Known Member

Were you once silver, if so, you're grandfathered to silver if you go ftp now? Silver could buy, but not sell. I think the current ftp can't buy or sell from the broker w/o tokens. I could be wrong though.
  9. semisus Does not play this game

f2p should be allowed to sell on broker , it will only make some people try out the game more
    more low lvl stuff for sale doesnt hurt anyone
  10. Meneltel Well-Known Member

So you can not play the every end game zones (in the expansion you do not get for free) but that leaves most of the game content available to you, including raids and instances. Most guilds wont really care if you are F2P or Allaccess (though perhaps raiding guilds might, but if F2P, they wont be that eager to include you in the ATeam lineup for a raid anyway). But you do as you wish and I hope you find a game you like and that you will be happy at.
  11. Adevil Well-Known Member

"I'm not a customer of yours since I refuse to give you any money in exchange for getting to enjoy this wonderful game. I'd just like to express my desire to get more of it for free, please, thank you."
    Lucus, Sigrdrifa, Mermut and 2 others like this.
  12. Graewulf New Member

Another trollish reply. Is that all you've got? Even though under my forum name it says I'm a new member, I was a customer for many years and they've gotten hundreds of dollars from me. My statement still stands.
  13. Kuulei Well-Known Member

Nice to necro-rez this thread after the last post over 4 months ago...
    Just how would "giving in" and allowing broker access for F2P attract more players willing to spend cash on the game? If the the current F2P no longer generated income with broker credits, just where would the LOST income and supposed NEW income, come from?

All those calling this game F2P, F2T or whatever, EverQuest II was a SUBSCRIPTION REQUIRED game to play when it launched in 2004 and still is to many who like the perks of staying or becoming a member.

You want unlimited use of the broker? Then become a member. It's that simple.
    Spindle, Sigrdrifa, Adevil and 3 others like this.
  14. Adevil Well-Known Member

Oh, I'm sorry. I will have to be honest here and say my opinion would not change if you were the reincarnation of Tutankhamun and had been paying monthly since your original embalming. When payment for services ceases, so to does the responsibility of a company to provide said services. It's just one of those silly things that goes along with capitalism.
    Lucus, Mermut, Spindle and 2 others like this.
  15. Lucus Well-Known Member

re-read the quote in my post you said B2P with P2P elements. EQ2 is nether, you are not required to buy anything and F2P basically means you don't have to buy in or have a subscription to play and they offer you some content without paying. there is more to the game then playing the end game heroics.

there is alot of free content in the game for people who aren't in a rush to level cap and want to stop and smell the roses and take their time.

you don't have to buy the latest expansion, that is totally a voluntary thing, why is it people with no money call any F2P game with 'pay to receive something' B2P or P2P? it's because they want everything for free because they are naive and believe F2P means 'totally free'. what the hell is F2T?

F2P is fine for someone who accepts that F2P really only means they have access to the game with free content. why should i start a new account 'just because' you can't tell the difference between a F2P game with 'pay to unlock' content and a P2P game with pay to win items that will let paid players shread free players.

You are not required in any shape or form to give DBG money in EQ2, expansions are an optional product of course the developers are going to make them desirable so they make money to keep the game afloat.

the essence of your complaint is you have no money but you want expansions and expect that DBG should just give it to you at launch for free (and screw them PAYING to keep the development and servers going with *gasp* profits from the game).

RMT in F2P games keeps them afloat, you don't have to have any degree in economy or business to see that.
    Meneltel likes this.
  16. Kittybock Well-Known Member

Wrong answer. EQ2 is not B2P. It is a P2P, with option for F2P.

In a B2P model, you had to originally Buy the game itself and/ or Purchase an Expac. EQ2's F2P model you can play a huge amount of content, w/o a single purchase.
    • EQ2 is actually a subscription game, with an option to play years and years of content, for Free.
    • Free Players CAN earn Plat and purchase Kronos, thereby gaining Member Access. Woohoo, sounds like a great option to me.
  17. Lucus Well-Known Member

ok what in your opinion makes EQ2 P2P with F2P element?
  18. Kittybock Well-Known Member

EQ2 was originally P2P only. They began offering F2P, around 2010. The F2P option was originally Everquest II Extended. I think a large portion of the community still views the game as P2P. For newer members, though, perhaps I should have stated as a F2P w/ option for P2P.

IMHO, this game has so much depth, I'll gladly pay the sub. Heck, it's cheaper than going out for one lunch in a lot of cities.
    Meneltel likes this.
  19. Adevil Well-Known Member

I'll just chip in to say that this is very very true. I'm an All Access member, and have been since before krono was released. I still keep a credit card on file for the extra perks of a recurring sub which that provides (not certain if that is still a requirement or not). However, not a single cent has been deducted from my card since krono was introduced. In fact, right now I have enough krono stockpiled to cover my subscription well into 2018 - and that has been accomplished simply through my normal, casual, gameplay.
    Kittybock likes this.
  20. Lucus Well-Known Member

Yeah it started out life as P2P then went to 'pay if you want for perks' and let anyone login to play.

don't forget your sub here is good for every DB game, it's even cheaper if you buy in 1 year allotments, you end up paying aprox $10/month and you get 500DB thrown in for the marketplace. it's good.