WHY!!!! oh WHY

Discussion in 'Scouts' started by sonoske, May 1, 2013.

1. sonoske Active Member

why did named non epic boss mobs get immunity to walk the plank!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. seriously why dont soe just take dispatch from us now while their at it. walk the plank was grand slammed home runner nerf ever since it came out. so now boss mobs are immune to it because other classes cant solo them? TO BAD not the rouges problem other classes should lern to adpat no instead you take away the rogues bread and butter
    Estarion likes this.
  2. Rotherian Well-Known Member

This is just a suggestion, mind you, but have you considered incorporating some of your other skills into your attack strategy. That is generally what I do when they nerf one of my skills: find one or more of my other skills that can, at least partially, compensate.*

* Also, if you don't think that two exclamation points will be sufficient to convey the degree of importance that you believe your statement contains, it is highly unlikely that thirty-eight will serve that purpose any better - it just makes it look like your 1 key got stuck while you were holding the Shift key down. Just FYI.
    Neiloch likes this.
  3. sonoske Active Member

i dont mind using my other skills which i do there on my hotbar for a reason. its just boiling my blood after 9 years and nerf after nerf after nerf there was no reason to give boss mobs immunity to walk the plank besides epics. so now with that being said they should just give immunity to snares so rangers cant kite them. i mean hell their immune to stuns stifles and spins but yet they hit like mack trucks for ^^ and can stun the hell out of players. yay thats a fair trade off NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  4. Rotherian Well-Known Member

All I'm saying is that, where there is a will, there is a way. It may not be as faceroll easy, and it may take quite a bit of learning from your own and/or someone else's death (preferably the latter, as it doesn't give you xp debt), but it can be done - it is just a matter of figuring it out.
  5. Thand Well-Known Member

don;t worry sonske most peoples idea of the ideal strategy is to faceroll threw everything with High dps. Non of those "tactical" skills for them
  6. Rotherian Well-Known Member

Sonoske's complaint is that there are some non-epic mobs that are now immune to the walk-the-plank skill. I'm merely noting that there are other skills that Sonoske may use to compensate on those fights.
  7. Ruckus Well-Known Member

Well, Cheap Shot is pretty much useless on heroic named. Swashbuckler's Disarming Grin (our crappy 22.5s mez rarely lands). Kiting, is an option, but...why? Walk the Plank is a rogue ability that should work more than it does. should let us flip the mobs away from us so we can get our backstabs in from time to time. Likewise, Traumatic Swipe...is not really as effective as it used to be, too. Text on the descriptions are just meaningless words on some of our abilities.
    Izanami likes this.
  8. Ruckus Well-Known Member

I've noticed that it's mostly the overland heroic named, and I noticed it in the CoE zones (EJ and OP). I sent in feedback about it, but it was obviously ignored....like everything else.
  9. Malleria Well-Known Member

Care to give an example?
  10. Hoosierdaddy Active Member

Going to be noncommittal on this, since it doesn't really affect me, but...

What does it say when your ability to solo boils down to a single ability?

I'd like to think that removing any one of my abilities would still allow me to function normally.

Imagine I'd quickly adapt. Then again, I don't have to worry about positional attacks.

/shrug
    Neiloch likes this.
  11. Rotherian Well-Known Member

Are you seriously suggesting that walk the plank is the only useful skill that a rogue has left against heroics? My rogues are only level 30-50, but I am almost positive that Brigs and Swashies at end game have more than one skill that has not been nerfed into oblivion. If for no other reason than there would probably be a lot more than one thread of complaints about it.
  12. Malleria Well-Known Member

No, I'm just asking for an example. The OP specifically mentioned their inability to use Dispatch, which is a flank/rear attack. Walk the Plank apparently doesn't work anymore, and Cheap Shot hasn't worked on heroics since forever. I'm just wondering, since you say there's another (operational) way to get the mobs flank/rear while soloing, what you think it is?

Or as I suspect, you're just crying 'play better!' without really understanding the issue. Which is, the ability to use rear/flank attacks while soloing a heroic mob.
    Estarion likes this.
  13. Fleshdecay Well-Known Member

It's a simple solution.
    Step 1: Get a tank.
    Gazrath likes this.
  14. Estarion Active Member

And don't forget about misses. WtP always missing one time from two even if mob haven't immunity. Need fix
  15. Drog New Member

I take it Most of you Dont play a Rogue. A Brigs bread and Butter is being able to turn the mob so that they have there back toward us so we can do what we do best take the Mit and kill it. Swashy doesn't have near as many behind/flanking ca's as the Brig but their mit debuffs require Flanking /behind set ups. With that being said walk the plank should spin every mod except Raid mobs since Rogues were made to be a tank class scout 9 years ago. With having no hate transfer if a brig takes aggro from you tanks, or if the tank dies we still need to be able to use most of our attacks so being able to hit 3 to 4 attacks that require the mobs back to use will save the day
    Izanami likes this.
  16. Avianna Well-Known Member

when soloing my swash I send my healer merc in first with swarthy deception on them let them do the first couple hits and then even the healer merc can hold agg of me long enough to get a couple rear shots in before I pull agg and then it is a toss back and forth for agg between me and my merc.

I am also a raid geared swash so I am putting out plenty of DPS (around 400-500K solo on average) so if my healer merc can hold agg off that I am sure it can do it on a lesser geared toon. Not the ideal situation, I think that walk the plank should do exactly what it states and mobs should not have immunity to that, so I agree with the OP but in the meantime that is a usable workaround till it gets fixed. Hope that helps.
  17. Rotherian Well-Known Member

The specific problem here, then, is the number of attacks that require a flank/rear position to land any damage. A good fix for that would be for those attacks to do less damage frontally (so that the attacks would still do damage - but the battle would just take longer) and considerably more damage from the flank/rear. This would give them usefulness in both a group/raid setting (where there would be someone to hold the aggro), and (to a somewhat lesser degree) in a solo fight.

Saying something similar to that as feedback would give the devs something to work upon, instead of the combination rant/other class diss that appears in the original post.

Justifying different damage from front and from flank/rear from an RP standpoint (if necessary) wouldn't even be that difficult. In standard tabletop RPGs, Rogues generally can do anywhere from two to four times standard damage by backstabbing. This ability, though, doesn't preclude them from attacking an enemy from the front.
  18. Ruckus Well-Known Member

Level up your rogues to 95, then come back and give us examples on how you could do it better, Mr. Necromancer. Some of us rogues have been playing since launch and we're not "face rolling" noobs who got powerleveled to 95 in 3 days. We know what we're doing and we know the limited skills we have available to us to be able to solo heroic mobs if WtP (and Traumatic Swipe) worked like their ability descriptions read.

Walk the Plank causes the mob to face away from the rogue. If WtP WORKED on heroic mobs, I could easily get 3 debuff/DPS backstabs in before the mob turned around to start beating on me. I can actually hit Dance of Metal, then WtP, then get in 3 backstabs, then finish up DoM with 4 more hits.

The heroic worm critter in Cobalt Scar on the beach: I wiped to him like 3x with my inq merc tagging along. Trying to do the tank and spank method, 'cause you know rogues can tank some content. I ended up clearing the area of trash worms before I kited the named around in a circle for way longer than it should have taken. (Rogues are not known for ranged DPS.) I used my 2 run speed slows on the named, one of my two ranged abilities slows the run speed, so I used that to my advantage. Mercs run slow, plus I had to pause my kiting because the healer merc had to catch up to heal/cure me.

This would have been much easier if I could have used WtP...dunno why other classes get to have an easy time of it with soloing overland heroic mobs with their mercs, yet you come into a rogue-based thread to tell us we're noobs and that we need to L2P our toons.
    Estarion likes this.
  19. Rotherian Well-Known Member

As noted in my response above to Malleria, the problem isn't so much WtP as it is the sheer number of attacks / debuffs that require flank/rear positions. If they allow at least partial damage from frontal and full debuffs from frontal, and the issue with mobs being immune to WtP goes away.

(Edit: And for the record, I never called anyone a noob or even suggested anything of the sort. All I was essentially saying is that, when the powers-that-be find it necessary to nerf a skill, critical examination of the remaining skills will usually reveal one or more additional options to compensate. I've found this to be true on many of my 50+ characters.)

(2nd Edit: Another thing that they could do is give you guys a few more stuns that only work against mobs - to avoid recrimination from the PvP crowd.)
  20. Mermut Well-Known Member

On my 95 briggy, 2/3 to 3/4 of my CAs are unusable if I'm not in a flanking position (used to be rear only, but at least flanking cuts the mustard after gu66). Not being able to turn the mob or get behind it means the rogue simply can't kill mobs fast enough in semi-challenging content. I'm talking about solo content. I was able to solo WL with her and most of the overland CoE content (was forced to get a merc for the scripted waves of mobs fights). If a rogue can't get behind the mob, they simply don't have enough attacks to kill the mobs before the mobs kill them, especially since all of the heavy hitters are rear flanking only.
    Estarion likes this.