Why is The EQ2 Community so toxic?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Gnashtail, May 10, 2019.

1. Gnashtail New Member

I'm legitimately asking. I read that Eq2 Folks were some of the most helpful and friendly players in an MMO. I joined the Maj'Dul server to find quite the opposite. I specified that I was a new player and I was asking for advice. To which I recevied a racist comment. Then later I tried again to which I was met with sarcasm and witticism. I mean what is it do you guys not want new players to join and have fun with you or what? I was seriously considering popping for a subscription until the player base totally dissuaded me from that option.

Now I'm just genuinely curiously, I would think an MMO like EQ would love to have new players. I just honestly don't get it..
    Sejreia, Yachiru-san, Tabouli and 2 others like this.
  2. Mermut Well-Known Member

There are lots of helpful people in eq2.. but, unfortunately, the trolls dominate general chat
    AOE1, ConcealFate, Heijo and 7 others like this.
  3. Gnashtail New Member

Well that makes sense, however it's no less off putting to a new player like myself. Trolls or not I would think people would want their communities to strive and survive. It honestly just makes no sense to me why someone would be so negative and scare decent players away from a game that they themselves have invested so much time into..I mean it's just irony..
    AOE1, Elyria, Crastinal and 2 others like this.
  4. Mermut Well-Known Member

I don't understand the 'troll mentality' either... but there are obviously people that get off on being a <descriptive noun of your choice>.
    AOE1, Raff, Elyria and 7 others like this.
  5. Soara2 Well-Known Member

sent u some bags and plat if your name is same as your user name on Majdul check your in game mail
    AOE1, Heijo, Elyria and 6 others like this.
  6. MightyMeaghan Well-Known Member

Most of the helpful people have long since quit, leaving only the die hards and a few other holdouts.
    Ursa Minor and Soara2 like this.
  7. WhysperWynde Well-Known Member

How nice of you Soara2!:)
    Elyria, Soara2, Breanna and 1 other person like this.
  8. Hypatia_Love New Member

This is why I left game, and I have been here since release. Just got tired of playing alone because I had to disable chat on all my toons. I am on Maj'dul, so if you need anything I will help you :)

Wispie is my main on Mad'jul
    AOE1, Elyria, Soara2 and 2 others like this.
  9. Shabboth New Member

There are plenty of really nice folk left on May Dul. Contact me, or anyone from Prophets of Lost Shinies and we'll be happy to help- whether you'd like to join a guild or not!

Best wishes and happy hunting- Shabboth
    AOE1, Elyria, Soara2 and 2 others like this.
  10. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

Helpful people over the years have generally been shunned by the community, or just shouted down by others. There used to be a ton of players who'd post super helpful guides etc. but they'd just get argued by people, or unappreciated in general.

These people tend now to either keep their info/knowledge to themselves, or their guilds.

General chats on servers are usually a bit toxic, but often a lot of what you see is people/friends having banter with each other that may be misconstrued as toxicity.

Best tip for a new player - Find yourself a friend & active guild. Most guilds have 2 or 3 at minimum.
    Elyria, Soara2, Breanna and 1 other person like this.
  11. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Every server has its handful of toxic idiots. I'm on Maj'Dul, and I promise, once you have put about 10-12 of the toxic idiots on /ignore, it's a lovely place. I try to help folks with questions whenever I am on (well, me or one of my platoon of alts).

When someone says something sexually explicit, harmful, threatening, abusive, defamatory, obscene, hateful, racially or ethnically offensive etc. (see the Rules of Conduct for what is not allowed), here's what to do:

(1) Type /report and hit enter. This puts a mark in the logs so DBG people can find it later. It does not bring it to the attention of anyone yet, though, for that...

(2) Type /petition and hit enter, or go to a browser and open a Support Ticket. Fill in the info requested. The category is the "community standards" one. Submit that ticket.

(3) Type /ignore ToxicIdiotName and hit enter. I recommend then pressing Y to bring up your friends list, and go to the Ignored tab, and enter a brief note about why you /ignored that person. This way you will remember later if, say, they try to join your group or become a member of your guild.

(4) After you submit the petition, DBG sends out an automated email that says that they received the report and will get to it Real Soon Now. On a weekend, you may not see any action until the next work week starts, and they're on San Diego Time (Pacific). If you don't see this letter, check your Spam or Junk email boxes, and whitelist if necessary. You can also go back to the Support Ticket site I linked above, log in, and check the status at any time.

(5) Once a GM has dealt with the matter, you will get another email that says that they are investigating and will take appropriate action, but that they can't tell you what they decide to do because privacy issues.

Meanwhile, welcome to EQ2 and to Maj'Dul.
    Jaden, Elyria, Soara2 and 4 others like this.
  12. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

The others have basically said what I would have said, but I would like to add. That you might want to join the Homeshow Channel and the Crafting Channel, even if you are not interested in either of these topics, some of the friendliest, most helpful people in the game are in these channels and they will answer any questions you have if they can, whether they are related to crafting or Homeshow. We have found other places to congregate since the trolls have beaten us away from General Chat. I know this does not help a new player as they do not know that we are out there, just in another channel. I try to hang out in the world and watch for people, talk to them, especially if they look lost, or as if they may be looking for something. I try and watch general chat to catch questions going by and then I send the answer via a tell directly to the person asking the question.

To join Homeshow, I would suggest right clicking your chat box and creating a new tab, clicking on that new tab, then right clicking on that and selecting chat options, go to the right side of the box that opens, it has a box that says join, type Antonia_Bayle.Homeshow, then click join.

Then I typically close that box, reopen it and rename the tab, set all the checkboxes, so I only see Homeshow, Help, and Crafting channel in that Tab and I am good to go. I also make sure to reopen the chat options for my original tab and make sure Homeshow is not checked in that one.

Just procedures I go through as I can be quite OCD, others will not go through all of that, they will just do it all in one step.
    Siren, Elyria, Sigrdrifa and 6 others like this.
  13. Hypatia_Love New Member

Cyrrena, I was thinking about returning to the game because of the Planes xpacs, I will also join the homeshow channel :) thx for the info!
    Jaden, Siren, Elyria and 5 others like this.
  14. kingmob23 Well-Known Member

1.) Find an active guild.
    2.) Close or leave general chat
    Elyria, Cyrrena and Soara2 like this.
  15. Breanna Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear the troll's have struck again. I am also on Maj Dul and I can help in any way you need just send me a tell when I'm on I mainly play Breanna, Pandamonia, Shalemar or Kaysandra so if you see any of those on I can help with anything you need :) Just ignore chat, or find some good popcorn, sometimes it's entertaining.
    Elyria, Cyrrena and Soara2 like this.
  16. Bekkr Well-Known Member

I realize there is a bit of awful behavior in chat, especially general, but I think it's important to draw the lines a little more clearly.

If someone asks a question to which I don't know the answer, and no one else is saying anything either, I will sometimes give a ridiculous, sarcastic or obviously incorrect answer just to the question isn't met with only stony silence. If people find that "toxic", well, the problem may not lie completely with the rest of the community.
    Cyrrena, Eradani and Soara2 like this.
  17. Katz Well-Known Member

Sadly most of the helpful, friendly players fled general chat long ago. The only time I even look at general chat these days is during events where we are taking down things in groups and people are saying things like "mob up in Sinking Sands!". The trolls don't care about the game having players they are totally focused on attention seeking. Those of us who do care cannot control general chat. People are now in special chat channels or discord. However, posting here is a good idea. You can find people who can can add to your friends list and maybe even a good guild. We sort of band together and use guild chat and as I mentioned before special chat channels to communicate.
    Elyria, Soara2, Breanna and 2 others like this.
  18. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

On Maj'Dul, there are plenty of helpful people in General. As I said earlier, put the toxic idiots on /ignore and it's Just Fine.
    AOE1, Cyrrena, GrunEQ and 1 other person like this.
  19. amarisa Member

General chat is a bit ignored by most decent players. Find a guild and get into the homeshow channel. I only ask questions in the homeshow channel because general chat is full of trolls.
    Cyrrena, Elyria, Uzumele and 2 others like this.
  20. rutro Well-Known Member

You think that might limit a persons game play experience?
    Cyrrena and Soara2 like this.