Why is The EQ2 Community so toxic?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Gnashtail, May 10, 2019.

1. Mercychalice Well-Known Member

For the most part, the folks in EQ are pretty nice. Most of the time, there are only trolls on the most populated times of day or weekends, and afterwards it's quiet. I generally tend to ignore General chat most of the time. I do leave it on though because I tend to PUG a lot, and that's where folks post LFG folks, and it's where folks tend to spread news and ask questions. But, you always have that handful of folks who think everything they say is amusing, regardless of whether it is or not. Just heed the signs at the zoo and do not feed the trolls, and usually, things go back to normal in a few hours.
    Soara2, Cyrrena, GrunEQ and 3 others like this.
  2. Uzumele New Member

Welcome to Maj Dul! I'm sorry you met the A Holes first. >_< If you ever need anything, I'm Neritic. ^_^ Holler at me, if I can help, I certainly will!
    Soara2, Cyrrena, Febrith and 3 others like this.
  3. Mermut Well-Known Member

What (positive things) do you think would people miss out on by ignoring general chat?
    Soara2, quisling and Cyrrena like this.
  4. Breanna Well-Known Member

I have actually learned things of general chat when the troll's aren't around. I watch people talk and ask questions and get answers and sometimes I find out stuff I didn't know.
    Yachiru-san, Heijo, Soara2 and 4 others like this.
  5. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

Other player passes by this game, having looked some time at general. Whether or not it's positive? Especially if he thinks (and he thinks so) that in the general thing - the main communication. In this sense, the "trolls" perform socially useful activities (create the appearance of presence of at least someone in this game). And of course, to some extent define the "face" of this game, for those who don't know what is happening here
    Soara2, Cyrrena and Elyria like this.
  6. Elyria Well-Known Member

it's really a shame that your first impression of the game was colored by Doorknobs who get their jollies by being inflammatory or just plain mean:(. i haven't personally had any negative experiences within Gen chat, but i have seen some messed up crap in there. of course, i only watch it to see if i can be helpful, once in a while to insert a funny comment, or like when it is Heroes Fest or something (i hope you give us, the community another chance and get to experience Heroes Fest; it is a Blast!) i don't have a char on Maj'Dul (i'm on Antonia Bayle, Test, and sometimes Thurgadin), but i can understand how an initial interaction within a brand new place can really turn you off if it is with the wrong person. a while back, i took over my husband's account and i accidentally made a new char on Skyfire. I was Not a new player, but i was new to that server. Questing with my baby char, someone sent me a tell. he asked me how i was on plat and bags. i thought he was being kind. the conversation went on from there, got kinda creepy, then very creepy...i am quite sure he was, i don't know how i should put this...practicing self-love?:eek:
    I Know this is not an accurate reflection of that server, and since i had been playing for quite a while before this, i knew it was just bad luck that i ran into that guy.
    i am Not sharing this story to further turn u off, please know that. i only mean to say that we are Not a toxic community, but we are a Community. We are made up of many different individuals. WE have different play styles, different backgrounds, different world views. we all have our faults, as we also have our redemptions. and some of us are just bumholes;) (can i say bumholes?) as others said: Just ignore them. and find a nice guild.:)
    Heijo, Soara2, Cyrrena and 1 other person like this.
  7. Almee Well-Known Member

Daemora, Vasciagio, and Ceyarrecks are all lovely players, who are very helpful and kind on Maj'Dul, plus most of the Maj'Dul players who responded to your post. I had a similar experience, after I took a break from the game, and I found it very disheartening as I know a toxic general chat can drive players from a game. Joining the homeshow channel is a good idea because I have found decorators to be some of the most friendly and helpful people playing.
    Cyrrena, Soara2 and Febrith like this.
  8. Svenone Well-Known Member

I rarely turn general chat off, but do have multiple tabs so the general chat tab may not be visible. Mostly it's just that I am busy and do not pay attention to any chat channel, much less general chat. When I am paying attention and have the answer to the question being asked, I will answer it to the best of my ability. Unless I am too slow, and somebody beats me to it (I am a slow typist for reasons, so it happens fairly frequently.) Oh yeah, Maj'Dul server, so if you aren't there I won't even have a chance to see your question.
    Cyrrena, Soara2 and Xianthia like this.
  9. Castles Active Member

MMOs like EQ have always been "toxic," even before the description was coined. people these days are too sensitive, there has always been dbags and asshats playing EQ. why do you think years ago they implemented ignore and bad language filters. when i first turned on my language filter years ago in EQ i couldn't read most of the general chat due to every other word was filtered lol.

EQ is an adult game, it always has been. sitting hours with wall groups chatting about mature things. i never liked family guilds with kids in them, it was more like a baby sitting group.

i don't think you even know what toxic really means in online gaming, try some of the survival PVP games, or just fortnite for a real treat.

EQ has become the geriatric game of the decade, old dogs supplementing their gaming with game token scams and boss camping. multi-boxing and such. a little bit of toxic never hurt anyone, just put them on ignore.

as for helpful community, they have moved on. these games are so old that websites have been lost and a lot of the knowledge is no longer applicable or useful. i still see civilized chats on the forums and general so i don't see a point to this thread.

turn on ignore, report a player, or take a break.
    Heijo, EmJay and Soara2 like this.
  10. Finora Well-Known Member

I don't personally play on Maj'dul (just a house visiting character) but I've found that as Sigrdrifa said, /ignore helps a LOT with the trolls on most of the servers I do play on. I know on Halls of Fate it's really only a couple of people trying to be annoying to everyone else most of the time.

To be honest, the only server in the whole game I've had to turn off general on even after ignoring people was Kaladim.
    Cyrrena, Breanna, Dude and 1 other person like this.
  11. GrunEQ Well-Known Member

Hmmm so that's why it's rated TEEN.
    The /ignore /report is good advice.
    Soara2 likes this.
  12. Dude Well-Known Member

The ESRB is interesting. For EQ2 it is listed as "Teen," which means "Content is generally suitable for ages 13 and up. May contain violence, suggestive themes, crude humor, minimal blood, simulated gambling and/or infrequent use of strong language" The notice on the homepage also says, "Online interactions not rated by the ESRB." So the actual game content is rated as teen, but there are few limitations on what people in the game say or do.
    Soara2, Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  13. Thelenna New Member

Hi All...I am checking out EQ, doing the free trial right now, but thinking of paying for game time. I've really been enjoying the game and was wondering if it's really worth it to pay for time since it is an older game? Are there a lot of active players?
    Blazen, Soara2, Cyrrena and 1 other person like this.
  14. Breanna Well-Known Member

You'll get a lot of responses to the active players question, if you are on Maj'dul it is a pretty active server. Some servers like AB people hide and don't talk in chat a lot but they are still around and still active. Although other people will tell you every server is dead, that is not true.

As for getting a membership, I recommend it because I love the game, and I don't like being limited to what I can and can't do. With a membership you get a lot of percs you don't get when you are F2P things like talking in chat, being able to use the broker, wearing gear is not limited to whatever it is when you're F2P I think legendary (don't quote me on that, I've never been F2P) You can wear the better gear, and you can upgrade your spells, you get double coins. I'm sure I've left stuff out and someone will come in and mention the stuff I missed. But to me it is worth it. Try it out for a month or two and see if it's worth it to you.

Welcome to Norrath and I hope you stick around and have fun. Happy Hunting!
    Praaji, Blazen, Febrith and 3 others like this.
  15. Dude Well-Known Member

Welcome! Try it out to see if you like it. I think you'll find the F2P restrictions to be really annoying, but that's the whole point. Try it out as a member. If you don't like it, you're out $15. If you like it, you're in for a great ride.

What are you looking for in game play? AB is the only place RP really happens on a regular basis. Maj'Dul is the most active live server, but it's going to take you a while to catch up. Kaladim is the newest TLE server. It requires a subscription, but it's probably the most active server.
  16. Bhayar Well-Known Member

EQII, like other internet communities where people hide behind anonymity, has it's share of trolls just like occurs elsewhere. I'm on Maj'dul and there's plenty of great people on that server. General chat occasionally can be problematic but as Sig has indicated, /ignore can be your best friend. Trolls are here and others who simply lack the social skills to have any friends in real life; since no one listens to them in real life, they come to General chat only because they can actually have access to an "audience." That's why I have General chat as a separate tab from my other tabs. Don't let a few idiots with minimal social skills and no friends make your decision to be involved for you. You'll occasionally hear someone say, "grow up--only kids use ignore." This is a sure sign you're dealing with a troll, haha.
  17. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

when ever I see somebody ask a question I send them a tell with the answer so my tip does not get lost in the muck.
    I think those trolls , I call them bullies don't have a life and they let out their frustration on others that can't fight back .
    I just say thanks for your help and go on with my life , there is nothing more hurtful than beginning to argue with somebody like that .
    I had the problem that I get ignored , I would like it if people would at least say something like sorry I don't know.
    This game looks intimidating to new players , don't give up and like many people here said already , find a friendly guild to join.
    I also recommend the forum , there is s a special thread for new players.
    I play on almost all servers including the test server and the newest TLE server Kaladim.
    On Kaladim they lately ran this message to report people that verbally abuse others
    Daybreak might have it's false, but even they will not tolerate that kind of behavior .
    Heijo, Soara2, Cyrrena and 2 others like this.
  18. Liral Active Member

As others have said no matter what game you go on these days you'll find rude people. Sad but true. But the overall EQ2 community is rather nice and helpful.
  19. MightyMeaghan Well-Known Member

It's worth it if you play on Kaladim.
    Soara2 and Cyrrena like this.
  20. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

"Kaladim" is a good server for people who just start to play this game , or people who have not played in a wile. the server is only 2 months old so your not to far behind. Things are much simpler and the way to get around is a challenge.
    But you don't have to worry about complicated crafting , mercenaries or familiars and no assentation classes to worry about.
    the level cap is 50 and all the heritage quests you complete you get a ticket for every character on your account no matter what server to buy for nothing a replica of the price you earned for that quest sometimes much better than the price you got , like with the bags for 2 of those quests and if your below level 90 on that other server the price is just a little lower with the statistics.
    Kaladim is still nice and active with plenty of people to group with.