Why Illusionist = High DPS

Discussion in 'Illusionist' started by ARCHIVED-Eater, Apr 20, 2005.

1. ARCHIVED-Pinski Guest

You know, if they did this, I'd almost say screw DPS, but soloing is where we are crap at. Personally for a smaller dps increase and make us about 35% of a wizard's Full DPS, I'd want all our abilities to work on raid mobs. I mean think about it, sure our DPS is [expletive ninja'd by Faarbot], but if we could mitigate more damage through stuns and stifles, then our dps in theory would be balanced. Though if we had better roots, then soloing could be more doable. Of course the whole mez-nuke strat is always there, but honestly, it's boring and isn't worth the time it takes, compared to what any other mage subclass can do. Being able to do more stuff at raids would actually rule, and be better than DPS, of course a stifle for lv49 mobs and above would also be nice, I'm sure everybody would agree with having that.

But, the way SoE is making the game, this isn't going to happen, so we're probably better off with 60% of a wizard's Full DPS and no abilities that really work very well against raid mobs.
  2. ARCHIVED-God_of_Avalon Guest

Why do you, an uninformed poster, keep chanting the mantra that our DPS is fine when the devs already aknowledged our DPS is particularly weak, and will be giving us an upgrade?
  3. ARCHIVED-Sampy Guest

Why you assuming the illusionist must be always grouped, or doing raid mobs?
    I agree, the illusionist its not bad balanced if he are grouped (like buffbot) and the role its not do DPS, but why i can't solo like another class when i not grouped?
    And plz, dont says me, "if you want to solo make another class", i like my illusionist for groups, and wanna do that solo content of the game that any other class can do. If SOE sentecing the illusionist its the only class for which the solo content its not able, then ill play another class or probably leave the game.
    IMO, the best way to do this its fixing the rot and increasing the dots dps. Stunt and stifle raid mobs could be good, but its not MY priority.

Sampy - 50 Illusionist - Permafrost
  4. ARCHIVED-Bawang Guest

The OP makes the rather obvious point that a class with power generation helps others produce more damage. Where he's wrongheaded is in attempting to redefine the terminology as it's currently used and understood by most players:
    You do high damage yourself = You're a high DPS class
    You help others do high damage = You're a utility class
    As an illusionist, I want to be a REAL DPS class, not a mere buff bot.
    In raid parses, I'm usually right on the heels of the sorcerers and summoners and very often beat them. I want to put this thought into their minds: "I chose this class strictly for DPS, yet this utility guy does almost as much damage as I do". That puts a smile on my face . Naturally, that is totally a situational proposition based on who's on your guild and how they relate to you in terms of DPS. I say that because I've also been on guilds where I could almost never make the parse because the guys at the top were that uber. But been a high DPS illusionist is still something worth shooting for.
  5. ARCHIVED-simpwrx02 Guest

OMG this topic ended over 2 YEARS ago, this is one of the worst necro posts I have ever seen. The game has evolved so drastically from when this was made that the information is out of date.
  6. ARCHIVED-Anduri Guest

Woot! Clear winner for the prestigious "best necro post on an eq2 forum ever" award.
    Your luxury calendar with the year in big bold letters is on its way
  7. ARCHIVED-Gnobrin Guest

Wow, you win today's necropost award. If it's more then a year old, please don't dredge it up. Keep in mind too, replying to it repeatedly only then ensures that it remains alive, it doesn't kill it...

~Gnobrin!