Why do mounts backpedal so slowly?

Discussion in 'Look and Feel' started by ARCHIVED-Jeridor, Nov 29, 2007.

1. ARCHIVED-Wildmage Guest

You can't make a donkey walk backwards down a minaret!
  2. ARCHIVED-steelblueangel Guest

When eq2 first came out neither the mounts or the carpets backed slow, both of them backed the same speed as foward speed. Then soe nerfed the backing speed on the mounts and the carpets. Later soe reinstated the backing speed on the carpets to fast again, however, they left the mount backing speed extremely slow.
    I personally hate the slow backing speed of the mounts it is a problem for mainly casual player since they play more often overland; since, backing fast or slow can make the difference between dying or surving when trying to run from social mobs that quickly become adds during battle.
    If the nerfed backing speed was an attempt to balance realism within the game then many other things need to be addressed as well not just select things such as the mounts. The carpets should fly not hover, not sink in the water resulting in the toon having to swim, or drop the rider to their death when they fly across gaps. Horses should swim in the water instead of resulting in a dismount. The rider should dismount the horse and mount the horse not simply appear on it after using the whistle since that is not realistic. Until these things have been addressed in the name of realism then the backing speed is a failed attempt at realism and is nothing more than a nerf; resulting in, aggravation and limited mobility of the mount.
    Soe was not attempting to create a sense of realsim with the nerfed mount backing speed for if that were true then why has soe never made chairs that can be sat in, beds that can be lain on etc? The mount backing speed was nerfed plain and simple and nerfed backing speed did not add enjoyment or REALISM to my game; instead, the nerfed backing speed has hindered, annoyed, and resulted in death for my toons.
    If soe wants to put realism in the game then there are many other areas they have yet to address some I have stated and the list could be endless when considering all of the non-realistic mechanics within the game. Another exp is /hug the toons dont hug there is not animation just the typed words and thats all. What is realistic about that? The backing speed for mounts should be reinstated until such time that all of the mechanics within the game have been addressed to meet the requirements for realism. However, I don't play a game for realism, rather, I play an online game for entertainment and realism is the last thing I desire in a fantasy game.
    I agree 100% with the op.
  3. ARCHIVED-Transen Guest

I can't figure out the exact key combination since any pattern I try to use doesn't always net the same result every time, but holding down 1 mouse button, then holding down the other, then release the 1st mouse button while in 3rd-person viewing usually allows me to turn my character around while engaged in combat quickly (yes, you still have to use the directional keys..).
  4. ARCHIVED-feldon30 Guest

Bottom line: Horses are a deathtrap in EQ2 in battle. No way I am going to remember to hit ESC, turn around, click SPRINT, and start running. Nor will I have time against an orange mob. In real life, you dig in one of your heels, turn the reins, lean your body, and the horse takes off.

I sold the d*mn thing and got a carpet. Problem solved.

Some other threads:
    http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/...topic_id=395368
    http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/...topic_id=200030
    http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/...topic_id=382214
  5. ARCHIVED-Klaktar Guest

Ok, l have some ideas regarding this issue. To hopefully stifle complaints about the way mounts back up:

1. Go find a real horse, and try forcing it to run backwards. Chances are you'll leave with brain damage after it kicks your head in.
    2. Once you're released from the hospital, go back to that horse and try to make him jump straight up. Have paramedics waiting in advance this time.

It's realistic, and it's a nice addition. Can't body pull on a mount? [I cannot control my vocabulary]. Attack the mob, press ESC, and run back to your position. Now some people have said "oooo realism is for gays, this is teh fantasie game!!!"...Hey, I'm a big fan of fantasy stuff, but if I was reading a David Eddings novel and saw "Garion managed to escape because his horse backed up with extraordinary speed!" I'd be [I cannot control my vocabulary] pissed off, and I would set that book on fire. Fantasy is great, to a point. If you take away too much realism, the game is going to be stupid. I enjoy how I don't have to worry that the Devs removed their children from preschool to give the devs pointers on how to make a game.

(P.S. I'd like to see flying mounts. I know, WoW sucks, but flying mounts are [I cannot control my vocabulary] cool.)
  6. ARCHIVED-feldon30 Guest

You keep trying to beat us over the head with the "realism" mallet. Tell me what's realistic about a horse being HELL BENT on facing the target?

Real horses are skittish and have no trouble getting away from hazards at lightning speed. In EQ2, the horses are darn near suicidal.

The real problem is that in EQ2, the horse tries SO HARD to stay facing the mob. You pretty much have to hit ESC to get away from battle. For some reason, on the carpet, if I hold a LEFT or RIGHT direction long enough, it breaks the "target lock" and I can get away. On horseback, ESC is the only way out of this deathtrap! If this behavior were toned down or eliminated, life would be so much better.

The FACT is, in real life horses are used in battle, quite effectively by fighters. Horses have surprising agility -- they are not a wooden horse with two directions -- forward and back. Horses more than make up for their inability to back up by this novel concept called TURNING. In a real battle, you can come thundering into range on horseback, strike the mob, and keep running, or continually turn to get in and out of range of different mobs. EQ2 has nerfed the sh*t out of this REALISTIC method of battle and turned horses into a DEATHTRAP stupidly facing the mob until you are DEAD.